The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I understand this thread is getting kind of heavy and malicious, so first off I just want to say if something I say is wrong or you disagree with it, let me know don't yell at me, I'm still learning. cwny69 I've been following a lot of threads you've posted lately and not to criticize you in any sort of a negative way but you seem to been off and back on your diet every couple days. From expierience I would say it's better to not diet at all than to be inconsistent ever couple of days, your just putting your couple days work down the train with your cheating.
    Being on atkins is a very difficult lifestyle to stay consistent with, I really don't think I could handle it right now. I'm also cutting and have simply chose to lower my calorie intake by about 400 and keep my ratios even (doing the 40/40/20) and getting only clean foods. My personal suggestion to you, if your struggling with consistency, would be to not jump straight into the atkins but try something a bit simpler to work with, like a 40/40/20 and slowly drop your cals below your maintenence. I would say go with this for a few months and slowly teach yourself more self discipline. After that if you want to change your diet over to atkins, go ahead (just not drastically, I'm sure there's a propper way to do it). In doing this, the few months that you spent on the 40/40/20 will teach you the self discipline needed to continue in weightloss and bodybuilding, and at the same time shave off some weight and bodyfat.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

jane and maki... if he doesnt want it badly hell never get anywere, end of line, of story, end of conversation. the body doesnt want to have big muscles, or be healthy. it wants to relax. you let it relax for a short time and youll wind up right back were you started. it starts with not being able to control a diet, and works its way into just deciding your not gonna work out this week

Originally posted by InferiorDesign
    jane and maki... if he doesnt want it badly hell never get anywere, end of line, of story, end of conversation. the body doesnt want to have big muscles, or be healthy. it wants to relax. you let it relax for a short time and youll wind up right back were you started. it starts with not being able to control a diet, and works its way into just deciding your not gonna work out this week
    *** It's not just the body that is responsible, the mind and body together need to be on the same path.
    It takes a lot of heart to keep going, it comes easier to some than others. That's not an excuse to say that he is allowed to be inconsistant, but he has to learn how to follow through on his eating habits.

I just think that people who struggle don't need a stern scolding but rather encouragement to keep plugging away and some friendly help.

I would be more than glad to help you out if youlike. Just PM me.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

WELL THIS TIME ITS FOR REAL GUYS ILL POST MY RESULTS AND ILL SHOW YOU I HAVE SELF CONTROL I JUST NEVER REALLY WANTED IT BAD ENOUGH BUT NOW I DO

2MORROW IM STARTIN MY 1 DAY FAST

TO GET INTO KETOSIS

Why are you writing in caps?

You said that you knew how to get into ketosis. A fast is not the way to go.
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

I heard people saying if you fast for 1 day you'll go into ketosis because your body has no energy supply

Wannabebig Member
    seriously i bet u (Jane) dont even have the slightest idea of the damage that ur body can go through due to the atkins diet, and as to the proof it is a highly well known fact the atkins diet can and will over develop ketone bodies and the body needs to rid itself of the ketones somehow and it is also widely know that if too many ketone bodies are being produced that it releases and nail polish remover smell.......ask any doctor there is ur proof!!!! but i guess some people are willing to be active in any thing to be perfect even if it means self destructing their own body in the process!!!

Arghhhhhhhh.....Nooooooooooooooooooooo.
    Please read and do some research before blindly jumping into a diet.

Read the CKD articles on the front page.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Wannabebig Member
    Maki who r u talking to?

Originally posted by hotgirl_03
    seriously i bet u (Jane) dont even have the slightest idea of the damage that ur body can go through due to the atkins diet, and as to the proof it is a highly well known fact the atkins diet can and will over develop ketone bodies and the body needs to rid itself of the ketones somehow and it is also widely know that if too many ketone bodies are being produced that it releases and nail polish remover smell.......ask any doctor there is ur proof!!!! but i guess some people are willing to be active in any thing to be perfect even if it means self destructing their own body in the process!!!
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 05-06-2002 at 08:01 PM.

I seriously bet that I (Jane) know what I'm talking about. I also seriously bet that I've been in ketosis for the past 3 weeks. Yes, your pee will smell funny. Yes, your body will produce ketones, which are not the gentlest substance. But they are also a by product of fat breakdown. Ketogenic diets (more specifically, cyclical ketogenic diets) have been used time and time again by many bodybuilders successfully. Successful, if you know what you're doing, that is.
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

Originally posted by cwny69
    I heard people saying if you fast for 1 day you'll go into ketosis because your body has no energy supply

I'm trying to help you. But you've got to do your research. Until then...you're not going to get very far.

You can get into ketosis via fasting but it isn't the best way. Just carb restrict with a 70/30 fat/pro ratio...like 500 below maintenance.

PS - keto is safe if you ain't diabetic

*rebels against jane anyway*

cwny69 by the tone of you last couple posts it sounds like your starting you diet over again to prove something to us. That's not a very good motive to go into it having, find something inside of you to GRADUALLY work for, a slow motive if you will. Not something like how good your going to look in the end, but something shorterm, like dropping a pound and a half consistently each week, or just feeling good about yourself knowing your doing something good for yourself. I hope you understand what I'm saying.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Wannabebig Member
    Ketosis Diets= Desperate Measures

So you're a bodybuilder Jane? Or are you just losing weight so that you look "perfect".. how much do you weight right now?

when ur body starts producing a funny smell that is not good. i know that u are the one that needs to do the research for u are destroying it because u think u know what u are doing. Fact: Some people have died from the atkins diet! Eat that!

Simplistic
    Originally posted by InferiorDesign

It doesn't get much more simple than that. No need trying to overcomplicate things. No self control= no results.

Neil: 1 question. Are we born with self control? Or do we develop it?

hot_girl. Please stop making assumptions about who I am and why I do what I do. At 5'7, 145 pounds, decent strength levels, and two years of studying diet, nutrition, and exercise, as well as conversing with those who do, I think I am qualified to call myself a bodybuilder and to be absolutely sure that I do, in fact, know what I am doing. By insisting that I am causing severe harm and putting myself in danger by staying in a state of ketosis, and furthermore claiming that I am "desperate", you are insulting me and every other person who has had success with ketosis.

Read this: http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=34

And then I will be willing to continue our discussion.

well im starting tommorow for sure i just bought everything to eat

do you peope think its possible to lose 5 percent of bf by july 15 with no crash diet just satying in ketosis for that long any opininions

Originally posted by cwny69
    do you peope think its possible to lose 5 percent of bf by july 15 with no crash diet just satying in ketosis for that long any opininions
    why dont you just do the diet and stop asking random questions, so a search on your name and look at all your "what is ketosis" "look everyone im in ketosis" "is a ckd a good diet" threads.

hotgirl_03, after reading your insight i am going to stop my ckd diet immediatley before I die!! Thank god we have experts like you on this board to save people like myslef!
    my other favorite forum! Check it out!

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/

Lol.
    Keotisis will not kill you.
    But be forewarned that you may lose some bodyfat as a result.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Wannabebig Member
    Jane im not making assumptions on who u r. if u dont like the fact that someone other than u is right...thats not my problem. all im tryin to tell u is that being in ketosis is not good. yea i have read articles like that one and many many others, but you can not just look at the "good". when ur body goes into ketosis is because u r depriving it out proteins, nutrients, carbs, or even fat. ur body produces ketone bodies to make up for that loss, which is ok on occasion...but not all the time!!! ur basically striving ur body of something it needs. dealing with things like things like this is not a game and can leaving a lasting imprint on ur health!!! so why dont u go sit down somewhere and absorb that before u speak!

Originally posted by hotgirl_03
    Jane im not making assumptions on who u r. if u dont like the fact that someone other than u is right...thats not my problem.
    You're right, yet everyone who has posted besides me has agreed with me? Hmm.
    when ur body goes into ketosis is because u r depriving it out proteins, nutrients, carbs, or even fat. ur body produces ketone bodies to make up for that loss, which is ok on occasion...but not all the time!!!
    By reading this I am getting the impression that you don't understand what ketosis is or how to get there. If I deprived myself of fats, I wouldn't be able to reach ketosis week after week. Ketone bodies are not made because I am lowering my calories or eating a less nutritious diet. They are made because the concentration of glucose in the blood is lowered to the extent that ketone bodies must be produced to provide energy and allow me to function. (And fuction very well, with lots of energy, I might add). The nutrient issue can easily be addressed with a multivitamin and several supplements during the temporary amount of time that ketogenic diets are used.
    ur basically striving ur body of something it needs. dealing with things like things like this is not a game and can leaving a lasting imprint on ur health!!! so why dont u go sit down somewhere and absorb that before u speak!
    Striving...perhaps you mean starving? What is it that I'm starving it of? And please don't tell me what to do, thanks.
    Last edited by Jane; 05-07-2002 at 05:59 PM.