The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    there you jane tell her

Wannabebig Member
    Basically.......

If you're for ketosis you will accept the positive aspects and ignore the negative.

If you're against it you will accept the negative aspects and ignore the positive.

With that said, this is a useless debate.
    To each his own...... each person wants to do different things with their body, lets accept it not respect it and move forth.

Originally posted by hotgirl_03
    Jane im not making assumptions on who u r. if u dont like the fact that someone other than u is right...thats not my problem. all im tryin to tell u is that being in ketosis is not good. yea i have read articles like that one and many many others, but you can not just look at the "good". when ur body goes into ketosis is because u r depriving it out proteins, nutrients, carbs, or even fat. ur body produces ketone bodies to make up for that loss, which is ok on occasion...but not all the time!!! ur basically striving ur body of something it needs. dealing with things like things like this is not a game and can leaving a lasting imprint on ur health!!! so why dont u go sit down somewhere and absorb that before u speak!
    *** tell that to the Inuit people who've survived for hundreds, maybe even thousands of years on fat and protein.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

when ur body goes into ketosis is because u r depriving it out proteins, nutrients, carbs, or even fat.
    You dont deprive yourself of fat when on a ckd diet, everyone knows that. You also get plenty of protien, alteast according to the RDA numbers. Where did you get that depriving your self of carbs helps you into ketosis, i have never heard this before Are you serious?

I can't belive you have the nerve to come on here and tell people a keto diet is bad, why dont you go on the anabolic forum and tell people steroids are bad. Personally I dont care if it is bad for me, not that i think it is. ECA stacks aren't good for you, but I will be taking them. You remind me of this big girl in my Economics class, I started taking my vitamins and she was like "your so retarded for taking all those vitamins and wasting your money, why do you do that, its so stupid." I turned around and said, "so I never have a fat nasty body like yours."

My point is you have no idea what you are talking about, your posts show it. ALso, most people are worried about looking good, not bieng healthy, atleast I am.
    Last edited by the_hall; 05-07-2002 at 06:12 PM.
    my other favorite forum! Check it out!

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by the_hall

ALso, most people are worried about looking good, not bieng healthy, atleast I am.
    What use is it to look good and be unhealthy? It seems slef-defeating... and why not be healthy and look good......... it's quite possible.

the_hall....you mean "depriving of fats" not carbs...might want to fix that

And hall, while I agree with your point, I must say that it is perfectly possible to stay healthy and use a ketogenic diet for a temporary amount of time. Your body will barely notice the 1-2 months you're using CKD, and in the grand scope of life, it will make an imprint the size of an ant.
    Last edited by Jane; 05-07-2002 at 06:34 PM.
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

Wannabebig Member
    first of all i have my own thoughts on the matter and as do u. but i will not sit back and listen to the bs u are spewing out. second crwny 69 u have zero room to talk for all u do is ask people this and that as though u dont even have a mind to think for urself. third maki if that was u who stated that people dont die from ketosis who are...wrong. fourth if u knew how to read i was refering to the atkins diet which put ur body into ketosis and yes people have died.....so last but not least people who worry bout how then look over how healthy they are....are stupid!

Wannabebig Member
    finally jane i think ur startin to catch on!!!!

tell it to the inuits who werent body builders, and who probably didnt live past 40

fourth if u knew how to read i was refering to the atkins diet which put ur body into ketosis and yes people have died.....

People can die no matter what diet they follow. If there proof it was the diet that killed them?
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

but i will not sit back and listen to the bs u are spewing out.
    Could you do me a favor and quote this "bs" you speak of?
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

Wannabebig Member
    thats very true and yes ive seen reports on this on the news as well as in health magazines im sure u can dig it up on the internet too.

Jane, on a ckd you deprive yourself of carbs. You dont eat any carbs, you must have misread my post. Im talking about ketosis, not the carb up.

LuckyCharm, yes it is possible. But ECA and steriods aren't healthy, but that doesnt mean that people shouldn't use them. They make you look Better than if you didn't use them. The better you want to look, the more "unhealthy" you will be in many cases. Im willing to risk my health to look good, most people who use stuff like xen and so forth do, it is a tradeoff.

so last but not least people who worry bout how then look over how healthy they are....are stupid!
    So you are saying, hotgirl, that I am stupid? Your the one who is stupid, you spelling shows it. Your so pathetic, its people like you who i feel sorry for. You worry too much about other people, when I see people eating hamburgers and fries I dont go "they are stupid for bieng fat and ugly." I just dont care about them. It is people like you in this world that make things like ephedra hcl pills impossible for me to get. People worry about other peoples decisions, so they outlaw good supplements. Again, you are so pathetic.

Originally posted by InferiorDesign
    tell it to the inuits who werent body builders, and who probably didnt live past 40
    *** Inuits I believe, lived well into their 70's. They've been around for more than 5000 years to be exact. The fact that they did not lift any iron is even more of a testament to how safe this diet can be. As I mentioned their life span.
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 05-07-2002 at 06:56 PM.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Wannabebig Member
    "this big girl in my Economics class, I started taking my vitamins and she was like "your so retarded for taking all those vitamins and wasting your money, why do you do that, its so stupid." I turned around and said, "so I never have a fat nasty body like yours."
    i certainly dont think ur retarded for taking vitamins, but u sound a little immature who really says stuff like that...get real.

"So you are saying, hotgirl, that I am stupid? Your the one who is stupid, you spelling shows it. Your so pathetic, its people like you who i feel sorry for. You worry too much about other people, when I see people eating hamburgers and fries I dont go "they are stupid for bieng fat and ugly." I just dont care about them. It is people like you in this world that make things like ephedra hcl pills impossible for me to get. People worry about other peoples decisions, so they outlaw good supplements. Again, you are so pathetic."
    ur the one who is pathetic i didnt know that this was a spelling bee...grow up. i think that u have a little too many problems for me...its people like me who make this world a better place honey... its people like u who make guys/girls (whatever u r) look like idiots. u stress way to much over the little things to enjoy life!

Wannabebig Member
    jane theres not enough room to quote everything u said.

Originally posted by the_hall
    Where did you get that depriving your self of carbs helps you into ketosis, i have never heard this before Are you serious?
    That's the part I don't understand, hall. What are you talking about?

I don't want you to quote everything I said. I already know what I'm talking about.

I want a specific quote that is so chock-full of "bs", and I want your proof to negate it. If you're so sure of yourself, it shouldn't be too hard. I am able to take your arguments, dissect them, and negate them. Can you do the same to a specific quote of mine?

first of all i have my own thoughts on the matter and as do u. but i will not sit back and listen to the bs u are spewing out. second crwny 69 u have zero room to talk for all u do is ask people this and that as though u dont even have a mind to think for urself. third maki if that was u who stated that people dont die from ketosis who are...wrong. fourth if u knew how to read i was refering to the atkins diet which put ur body into ketosis and yes people have died.....so last but not least people who worry bout how then look over how healthy they are....are stupid!
    *** I would be most interested in seeing the reports of these deaths. I wouldn't be suprised if it was a result of other health complications. This method is not for everyone. There are certain prereqs that need to be met first before starting on this diet.

You've provided no hard evidence to date supporting your arguement. I doubt anyone here is even going to listen to you until you do. So... I'll do you a favor, if you can't support your arguement then your wasting your own time cause your sure not gonna win anyone over with empty words.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hotgirl_03
    [B]Jane im not making assumptions on who u r. if u dont like the fact that someone other than u is right...thats not my problem. all im tryin to tell u is that being in ketosis is not good. yea i have read articles like that one and many many others, but you can not just look at the "good". when ur body goes into ketosis is because u r depriving it out proteins, nutrients, carbs, or even fat.

*** I think some people have already caught onto this already but I'll make light of it again. You don't got a clue what Ketogenic diets are all about. How can you,when your understanding of the phisiology behind it is wrong?
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Wannabebig Member
    jane like i said there not enough room.

as to maki i agree with u there may have been other health problems present with those people...proof ill get u some u wait....

Here are just a few abstracts for you to chew on.

Ketogenic diet: an alternative treatment for refractory epilepsy in children.

Kankirawatana P, Jirapinyo P, Kankirawatana S, Wongarn R, Thamanasiri N.

Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand.

RATIONALE: The aim of this study was to establish the first ketogenic diet treatment program for refractory epilepsy in Thailand and to assess its feasibility as well as its efficacy. METHOD: Children with refractory epilepsy were enrolled in the study. This was a prospective open trial study with 35 children (16 boys and 19 girls). Not all patients started on the diet at the same time. Each patient was cumulatively enrolled in this study over the period of 4 years. The mean age on diet was 5.37 +/- 3.57 years (2 months-13 years), mean age of onset of seizures was 19.2 +/- 27.47 months (1 days-8 years), and an average duration on ketogenic diet was 7.67 months (6 days to 29 months). The classic "4:1" formula ketogenic diet was used with some modification. The patient's parents were allowed to improvise and use any fatty diets available in the market such as coconut milk if needed. Parents were closely supervised and instructed on how to prepare the patient's own meals while in the hospital and continued to attend neurology and nutrition clinics. The seizure outcome and side effects were monitored as well as a daily test for urine ketone. RESULTS: At 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, and 12 months duration on the diet, 90 per cent seizure reductions were achieved in 62.5 per cent, 68.18 per cent, 75 per cent, and 66.67 per cent of patients remaining on the diet, respectively. The number of antiepileptic drugs (AEDs) used by each patient also decreased as a result of better seizure control. CONCLUSION: Ketogenic diet can be tried as a management option for refractory epilepsy. It is not difficult to implement even in a developing country like Thailand where resources are limited. It may also help reduce the cost of treatment especially in view of the high prices of the new AEDs.

Effects of a ketogenic diet on tumor metabolism and nutritional status in pediatric oncology patients: two case reports.

Nebeling LC, Miraldi F, Shurin SB, Lerner E.

Nutrition Department, Case Western Reserve University, School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio, USA.

OBJECTIVE: Establish dietary-induced ketosis in pediatric oncology patients to determine if a ketogenic state would decrease glucose availability to certain tumors, thereby potentially impairing tumor metabolism without adversely affecting the patient's overall nutritional status. DESIGN: Case report. SETTING: University Hospitals of Cleveland. SUBJECTS: Two female pediatric patients with advanced stage malignant Astrocytoma tumors. INTERVENTIONS: Patients were followed as outpatients for 8 weeks. Ketosis was maintained by consuming a 60% medium chain triglyceride oil-based diet. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Tumor glucose metabolism was assessed by Positron Emission Tomography (PET), comparing [Fluorine-18] 2-deoxy-2-fluoro-D-glucose (FDG) uptake at the tumor site before and following the trial period. RESULTS: Within 7 days of initiating the ketogenic diet, blood glucose levels declined to low-normal levels and blood ketones were elevated twenty to thirty fold. Results of PET scans indicated a 21.8% average decrease in glucose uptake at the tumor site in both subjects. One patient exhibited significant clinical improvements in mood and new skill development during the study. She continued the ketogenic diet for an additional twelve months, remaining free of disease progression. CONCLUSION: While this diet does not replace conventional antineoplastic treatments, these preliminary results suggest a potential for clinical application which merits further research.

Protein sparing during treatment of obesity: ketogenic versus nonketogenic very low calorie diet.

Vazquez JA, Adibi SA.

Department of Medicine, Montefiore University Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA 15213.

Although it is generally agreed that both ketogenic and nonketogenic very low calorie diets promote weight reduction, there is no consensus on a preference of one diet over the other in regard to protein sparing. In the present study, we compared the effects of isocaloric (600 kcal/d) and isonitrogenous (8 g nitrogen/d) ketogenic (low carbohydrate) and nonketogenic diets on parameters of protein and amino acid metabolism, in 16 morbidly obese women maintained on these diets for 4 weeks while confined to a metabolic ward. Cumulative urinary nitrogen excretion (g/4 wk) was significantly (P less than .01) greater (248 +/- 6 v 207 +/- 12, mean +/- SEM, n = 8), and cumulative nitrogen balance significantly (P less than .02) more negative (-50.4 +/- 4.4 v -18.8 +/- 5.7), during treatment with the ketogenic than with the nonketogenic diet. Plasma leucine concentration (mumol/L) was significantly higher (P less than .05) during treatment with the ketogenic than with the nonketogenic diet at day 14 (210 +/- 17 v 150 +/- 8), but not at day 28 (174 +/- 9 v 148 +/- 8). Whole-body rates of leucine oxidation (mmol/h) were significantly higher (P less than .05) during treatment with the ketogenic than with the nonketogenic diet at day 14 (1.29 +/- 0.20 v 0.92 +/- 0.10) and at day 28 (1.00 +/- 0.16 v 0.75 +/- 0.10). Conversely, proteolysis, as measured by leucine turnover rate and urinary excretion of 3-methylhistidine, was not significantly different between the diets.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Jane, i was being sarcastic with that remark.

It doesn't matter, you dont know how to use the quote function anyway. You just copy and paste what people say, then put quotation marks around it.

Basically, nothing you say makes any sense. Your just entartaining to me, i find it funny when people spew nonsense like you do.

Why are you even responding, Jane and Maki?

If someone from the Flat Earth society came up and started lecturing me, I would simply look them squarely in the eye, laugh heartily, and walk away. Witness my lack of participation in this thread.

B@I, I have 3 hours left on my shift at work.
    I need somethng to pass the time.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo