Thread: Brown rice vs. whole wheat

Grasshoppa

Brown rice vs. whole wheat

I've seen some mixed opinions out there. On a cutting diet, which is better to have as a source of carbs - whole wheat spaghetti or brown rice?
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Grasshoppa
    Oh, and another: cottage cheese vs. nonfat/skim milk.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

all are fine
    just dont eat too much of them.
    dairy is probably not preferred for cutting.

All are fine, yup. I would check the fiber count for ww pasta and brown rice and if you have to choose, pick the one with more fiber. Cottage cheese and skim milk are fine as well if they fit into your plan. Cottage cheese is especially good before bed. I dont think you have to worry about cutting dairy until later...
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

whats wrong with white rice?
    All weights in kilograms in my posts. 1 kg = 2,2 lbs

My training log.
    My foreign language study site.

Wannabebig Member
    What is the problem with Dairy when cutting?.. I need to know because I am trying to cut and my diet has a lot of low fat cottage cheese and skim milk at the present.
    Saint Stephen will remain, all he lost he shall regain.

Online Journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=90677

Originally posted by Sebi
    whats wrong with white rice?
    Bleached! Very little fiber; very little vitamins and minerals; higher GI and; therefore, very little nutritional benefit. Same argument applies to white flour products as well.

Oh -- I was eating brown rice with chicken for lunch and noticing that I was absolutely ravenous within 45 minutes. Changed the carbs to yams/sweet potatoes and don't have the same effect. Anyone else have the same insulin response to brown rice???
    Size is SEXY!

As long as there's raniali nudity, its all good. -- PMDL, my idol
    My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    It is as stable as my mindset around your breasts. -- robboe
    Good god raniali....you have an amazing physique. -- JustinASU
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A

~Anything worth doing at all IS worth doing well.~
    ~You all laugh because I am diFFereNt; I laugh because you're all the same.~
    ~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

Originally posted by raniali
    Bleached! Very little fiber; very little vitamins and minerals; higher GI and; therefore, very little nutritional benefit.
    you must know something
    Rice Nutrition Facts

Originally posted by Sebi
    you must know something
    well - I like to think I do -- it helps make life more bearable.
    Size is SEXY!

My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A

~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

Ecoli die
    Don't know if it's true, but I've heard that a lower Glycemic Index is better. If that's the case, Brown rice has a GI of 55 and WW pasta has a GI of 37 as compared to glucose (100).

Can anyone explain wether this is important at all?
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

Originally posted by Tiare
    Don't know if it's true, but I've heard that a lower Glycemic Index is better. If that's the case, Brown rice has a GI of 55 and WW pasta has a GI of 37 as compared to glucose (100).

Can anyone explain wether this is important at all?
    It's very important. High GI really means a large insulin response occurs when eaten - which is not so good, esp if you are diabetic. Maintaining a constant insulin level throughout the day is the best way to ensure your metabolism is operating most efficiently. Insulin surges are what causes cravings and midday fatigue you see with so many people after lunch. That is why it is best to eat every few hours - insulin is kept constant from a constant food supply - and to eat low GI foods - which take longer to breakdown and cause a slower insulin response.

Hope this is as clear as mud.
    Size is SEXY!

Great posting raniali!!
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison