Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hypertrophy Cluster Training (HCT-12) - An Interview with Dan Roberts - New Article!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training (HCT-12) - An Interview with Dan Roberts - New Article!

If you are a frequent reader of Wannabebig, you’ll know by now that we will be soon be releasing what we believe is THE best muscle building program out there - Hypertrophy Cluster Training (HCT-12) on Monday May 3rd, 2010.

In this interview, we uncover the main reasons people struggle to gain muscle, the details behind the HCT-12 training and nutritional program and what gains you can expect if you are willing to commit yourself to the program!

READ IT HERE

Looking forward to your questions!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

I lurk, therefore I am
    I've just read the article (I have been keeping up with prior news of HCT-12) and after struggling to gain weight for a good year now, I'm quite interested in how everything turns out.

Will this program be negatively affected by cardio days in between lifting days? Also, will lift/exercise variations be strict when following the program, or is there room for additions? i'll be starting on a cut pretty soon, so I want to be sure I'll be able to give HCT-12 full dedication.

Finally, is this a program that can be used year round? If effective, I'd like to be able to continue with it next bulk.

Thanks for the intel, and for what seems like a great program!
    Last edited by adamnur; 04-19-2010 at 06:54 AM.

I tend to have a short attention span which some may have noticed on the forums. Don’t get me wrong, I am up for helping anyone out and talking about training and nutrition forever, but I like the simple approach. If you’re trying to make it more complicated than it is, you’ll lose me and I’ll be helping someone else. - Daniel Roberts

Haha...that's why I like this guy.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

as long as this program has some force spectrum rampingtm and ratchet loadingtm, I'm all for it!

In all seriousness, I'm really glad to see such talk about autoregulation, rest pause, etc. I've experimented with this type of training and I love it. It's a bit tricky to get accustomed to if you're prone to hammering it home every single session but the transition period is well worth the results.

Quote Originally Posted by JCD View Post
    as long as this program has some force spectrum rampingtm and ratchet loadingtm, I'm all for it!

In all seriousness, I'm really glad to see such talk about autoregulation, rest pause, etc. I've experimented with this type of training and I love it. It's a bit tricky to get accustomed to if you're prone to hammering it home every single session but the transition period is well worth the results.
    I didn't even have the imagination to come up with a name for the program, so you're out of luck if you love that sort of razzmatazz! Incidentally, nice blog.

Quote Originally Posted by adamnur View Post
    I've just read the article (I have been keeping up with prior news of HCT-12) and after struggling to gain weight for a good year now, I'm quite interested in how everything turns out.

Will this program be negatively affected by cardio days in between lifting days? Also, will lift/exercise variations be strict when following the program, or is there room for additions? i'll be starting on a cut pretty soon, so I want to be sure I'll be able to give HCT-12 full dedication.

Finally, is this a program that can be used year round? If effective, I'd like to be able to continue with it next bulk.

Thanks for the intel, and for what seems like a great program!
    The program will be negatively affected by cardio in the same way any program would if the additional activity puts you in a negative energy balance, you just need to manage your expectations and goals accordingly; which, based on your post are a little confused - you've been struggling to gain weight for a year and want to go on a cut pretty soon. However, that's an assumption on my part, you may have clear objectives that aren't articulated in your questions. If you want to discuss this, make a fresh post, I'd be happy to help.

The program can be used year round, and there's enough flexibility that you can make it whatever you want it to be. In fact the program is only half the project, the other half is about the principles and processes underlying building muscle - that alone should help you determine whether the program as it is written is for you.

House Lannister
    Interesting interview/preview on HCT-12. I doubt I'll jump right into the program once it comes out, but I may switch to this once I'm done with a few cycles of Madcow.

Daniel, is the 5-day split broken down similar to Max-OT, with just a few bodyparts worked every day? Also, what split has resulted in the most success for the majority of trainees on HCT-12? Thank you.

Really looking forward to this new program I am currently on the 5/3/1 program and like it, but for sure plan to start the HCT-12 next month.

Dan, I have a question on the supps you recommend. You personally say your just using Nitrean + Opticen. So no Creatine supp at all for you ? And Opticen is used for pre and post workout only ? So when do you use Nitrean, like with breakfast and late evening shake ?

For my goals, I am looking to pack on a little more weight, but not tons. I am 5'11" and range from 185-190lbs, not looking to go above 200lbs. I was 165lbs most my adult life, from a late teenager up to just recently a couple of years ago. I am 36yrs old. I got back into weight lifting at 34, and did the basic 5x5 stuff and used ON's Whey Protein + Creatine pills, and in about a 12-18months time got to 185. Now I have been at 185 for a good year solidly, and going up to 190.

Which AtLarge supps would be good for me ?

Thanks,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post
    Really looking forward to this new program I am currently on the 5/3/1 program and like it, but for sure plan to start the HCT-12 next month.

Dan, I have a question on the supps you recommend. You personally say your just using Nitrean + Opticen. So no Creatine supp at all for you ? And Opticen is used for pre and post workout only ? So when do you use Nitrean, like with breakfast and late evening shake ?

For my goals, I am looking to pack on a little more weight, but not tons. I am 5'11" and range from 185-190lbs, not looking to go above 200lbs. I was 165lbs most my adult life, from a late teenager up to just recently a couple of years ago. I am 36yrs old. I got back into weight lifting at 34, and did the basic 5x5 stuff and used ON's Whey Protein + Creatine pills, and in about a 12-18months time got to 185. Now I have been at 185 for a good year solidly, and going up to 190.

Which AtLarge supps would be good for me ?

Thanks,
    David
    I use Nitrean just as you described. I'm one of the unlucky creatine 'non-responders', so I'm afraid I don't get the benefits that most do, which is a shame. My brothers on the other hand always respond well to creatine, I just drew the short straw!

Very interesting read.

But uhm, i was wondering, who's the bodybuilder in the pictures? cuz i've seen him in various articles but..
    "When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent." T. Platz

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Interesting interview/preview on HCT-12. I doubt I'll jump right into the program once it comes out, but I may switch to this once I'm done with a few cycles of Madcow.

Daniel, is the 5-day split broken down similar to Max-OT, with just a few bodyparts worked every day? Also, what split has resulted in the most success for the majority of trainees on HCT-12? Thank you.
    Interestingly enough I devote some time to Max-OT in the article and yes the split is similar. As for which one the majority of the trainees used and to greatest effect, well that's yet to be decided, there's a few weeks yet to go. The most popular choices from the outset are the 3 and 4 day options but you can't draw any meaningful conclusions from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Roberts View Post
    I didn't even have the imagination to come up with a name for the program, so you're out of luck if you love that sort of razzmatazz! Incidentally, nice blog.
    lulz. howz do you expect to get teh sekretz out without a special name you got from an underground, black-ops operation?

at least it's not a mean blog.
    Last edited by JCD; 04-19-2010 at 11:42 AM. Reason: I'm dumb

Quote Originally Posted by Shemz View Post
    Very interesting read.

But uhm, i was wondering, who's the bodybuilder in the pictures? cuz i've seen him in various articles but..
    More importantly, why isn't he wearing a bit more clothing? :P

Good article. I'm very interested in reading this and possibly trying it sometime down the line.
    "Don’t fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn’t matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. I’ve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Wannabebig Member
    I'll be starting this program as soon as it's released. Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    More importantly, why isn't he wearing a bit more clothing? :P

Good article. I'm very interested in reading this and possibly trying it sometime down the line.
    Haha, yeah, i didn't mean it in a gay way or anything, he just seems to have a good symmetry and all so i wonder why i haven't heard of him, his legs seem a bit underdeveloped tho'..

OT: Is this program adjustable for people who prefer mostly dumbell exercises, besides squat and deadlift?
    "When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent." T. Platz

Quote Originally Posted by Shemz View Post
    Haha, yeah, i didn't mean it in a gay way or anything, he just seems to have a good symmetry and all so i wonder why i haven't heard of him, his legs seem a bit underdeveloped tho'..

OT: Is this program adjustable for people who prefer mostly dumbell exercises, besides squat and deadlift?
    Yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Roberts View Post
    I use Nitrean just as you described. I'm one of the unlucky creatine 'non-responders', so I'm afraid I don't get the benefits that most do, which is a shame. My brothers on the other hand always respond well to creatine, I just drew the short straw!
    Thanks for the reply Dan. I might be similar, I have taken creatine powder, and now pills, and I just do not really notice what it is doing for me ? I don't feel any extra power when taking them, and I don't get a pumped up look taken them either. To be honest I have no idea what creatine does for my body personally. Because if I don't use them for a month I see nothing changes.

So for lifting and adding nice solid muscles you just recommend these two supps for me ? The Nitrean + Opticen ? I also take Fish Oil, as well as Organic multivitamin, and Vitamin D3.
    Last edited by Zorachus; 04-19-2010 at 02:33 PM.

So I assume the 12 cluster reps are for the main lifts only?
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

House Lannister
    Hey Dan,

Thanks for answering my previous question. This may be more than you want to reveal at the moment, but what are the main lifts for this program? I'm assuming preacher curls, wrist curls, and triceps kickbacks while walking at an incline on a treadmill?

Working it out, working it bamazav's Avatar
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I am anxiously awaiting the release of Atlarge's newest supplement made just for HCT-12 - DANACONDA-12 once in a while I even make myself laugh.
    Last edited by bamazav; 04-19-2010 at 03:13 PM.
    Working on getting stronger in body, mind and soul.

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Sounds a lot like my current style of training which I have found most successful
    Last edited by Behemoth; 04-19-2010 at 08:26 PM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

My current reps are 12, 10, 8, 6, 12 for the first exercise of a muscle group then without rest, 12 more of another exercise with the same muscle group. I'm curious to see how similar this will be. I was going to create a new workout plan this week but I think I'm going to hold off since this thing is right around the corner.
    - Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Ryno View Post
    My current reps are 12, 10, 8, 6, 12 for the first exercise of a muscle group then without rest, 12 more of another exercise with the same muscle group. I'm curious to see how similar this will be. I was going to create a new workout plan this week but I think I'm going to hold off since this thing is right around the corner.
    That is interesting rep routine. So do you add more weight to the bar after the first set or keep it all the same weight ? And then without rest move into a different but same type of exercise ? So like you start with Barbell bench press, and finish with dumbbell bench ?

Banned
    So I've read a bit more about cluster training, and I think I've got the basic idea - you rerack the bar after a certain number of reps for anywhere between a couple of breaths to 30 seconds and then do more reps. This brief rest for the nervous system allows you to lift with a heavier weight than straight reps and therefore increases workload and causes hypertrophy. Am I getting this right or shooting way off course?

But my question is that if you are using heavier percentages of your 1rm for more reps than normal will this program absolutely require spotters? This might seem a silly concern for some but I work out on my own, and sometimes there isn't anybody about. I don't like the idea of trying to bench say, 7 cluster reps with a weight I'd usually do a 5rm with. It just seems a bit dangerous to do on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    But my question is that if you are using heavier percentages of your 1rm for more reps than normal will this program absolutely require spotters? .
    I would think you'd want safety devices in place no matter what training style you were using.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif