The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

How maby times do you train your muscles?

How many time a week do you guys work a certain muscle group ( biceps, chest, back etc.)?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I just do everything once per week usually... 4 day split
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 175

B: 255x1 DL: 375x1 SQ: work in progress

Goals: B-275 D-400 S-275 Weight- 180

i do a 3day full body, so 3 times a week each main group

1.5 to 4 times a week depending on the muscle group and how I arrange my workout that week.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Each muscle group of mine gets worked once a week.

Wannabebig New Member
    I have seen mainly articles that state that if your only working your muscles once a week it is not enough!! I have been working out for years hitting each muscle once per week and gains have been great!! If you are going to work out each muscle more then once per week you have to know what your doing. You would have to structure your workouts so that you receive adequate rest and alternate between heavy and light days. that is really the only way to do it without over training.

Each muscle group once a week as well.Split with cardio
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

small flabby and hairy joelhall's Avatar
    while im doing bodyweight exercises twice a week (same session) with a sub maximal sets after running (like a set of press ups and pull ups afterwards). if im doing weights, then once per week, especially when i go super heavy, split apart.

Hard to say exactly because squats/deads hit some of the same muscles, as does bench/militay press, etc., but probably twice a week on most.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

I do an upper/lower split, so every other session hits my entire upper body in one way or another, and the same with my lower body.

In reality, the lower body stuff that I do hits a lot of my upper body too, so essentially I'm doing every muscle group almost every session.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

the past few months i've been doing a 3 day a week full body routine. so everything got hit 3x per week. I'm about to switch to 5/3/1 though. So everything will be 1-2 days a week since i'll be doing the 3x per week version.

I may switch back to a 4 days a week at somepoint but I'm really loving 3 days a week. I've done 3, 4, 5, and even 6 days a week over the years and for the past 6 months or so i've really been loving this 3 day program. I'm still making gains and i never feel burnt out. Also working out never interferes with my life anymore. If something comes up last minute on a day i'm supposed to go to the gym its easy to just skip that day and go the next day instead and still get my 3 days in per week.

The toughest (but also the most beneficial) thing about cutting down to only 3 days per week was picking out what accessory work i was going to do after my compound lifts each day. When you only have 3 days to workout and you don't want to be in the gym for more than 60-80 min you have to get very choosy with your accessory work. It makes you really think about what exercises you NEED and which ones are just fluff. And once you make the decision to drop something its a very eye opening experience. For instance you might think that there is no way you could do a routine without shrugs or bicep curls, etc and then you go a few months without doing them and realize you are still making gains anyway b/c you are still busting your ass and progressing on your squat, bench, dl, and ohp.
    Last edited by SMK41; 04-20-2010 at 10:54 AM.
    Stefan
    Height: 6'4 - Weight: 235 lbs - Age: 31
    DL: 530 x 1
    Squat: 355 x 1
    Bench: 350 x 1

Twice a week. I've been responding well to it.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juelz701 View Post
    I have seen mainly articles that state that if your only working your muscles once a week it is not enough!! I have been working out for years hitting each muscle once per week and gains have been great!! If you are going to work out each muscle more then once per week you have to know what your doing. You would have to structure your workouts so that you receive adequate rest and alternate between heavy and light days. that is really the only way to do it without over training.
    Im doing texas method and hitting my groups about 3x a week and have never responded so well. Four years of lifting experience and have tried 10+ other programs. Try it before you disregard it.

I think everyone is different, and a persons level of fitness determines what their body will respond to best. I have played around with different splits in the past, but now I really don't think about it too much. I just decide what I'm going to do in the gym that day depending on how I feel (which I know is not the way to measure progress, but these days I'm busting my ass and making progress so I don't worry about it). For example, I would say on average I work my legs 3 times per week (one squat day, one deadlift day, 1 day of truck pulling) on top of 2 pt days a week of running 3 miles of intervals, stairs and body carry drills. So I'm hitting my legs about 5 times per week, and needless to say they are generally in a state of constant soreness. However, I recently hit new PR's on deadlift and squat, so like I said, everyone's different and your level of fitness, genetics, and approach to muscle recovery will determine how well you respond.