The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Failed workout

Failed workout

I struggled to complete 45s for my flat db bench last week.

This morning I used 50s and could only get 5. (3x8 is my sets/reps)

Then I moved down to 45 for second and third set, and could not complete the third set.

Should I try 50s again next time or move back down to 45s?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'm no expert, but personally I wouldn't go back down to 45 unless I was going to try for 12 reps.

Wannabebig Member
    Bad lift days are good for you, they put your good days in perspective.

You have to undestand that progress in not Linear, its Non-liner. You will have days of regression and plataeus due to numerous factors because life is not perfecta nd stress, not enough rest, etc... comes into play. This is one reason I base things of clients bio-feddback more so than just numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Whuditdew View Post
    I struggled to complete 45s for my flat db bench last week.

This morning I used 50s and could only get 5. (3x8 is my sets/reps)

Then I moved down to 45 for second and third set, and could not complete the third set.

Should I try 50s again next time or move back down to 45s?
    First of all, don't consider any workout a "failed workout". Even if you fail to hit the goals you set for yourself on a given day, you still tried and should learn from it instead of getting down about it.

Adding 5 lbs to DB exercises isn't as easy as doing it to the bench press itself. There are a bunch of factors that could have been the answer to your doing 5 reps, but i think you hit 3x8, if you notice doing 5 lbs more is harder, then you can do 3x5 and try to get 3x8 the next workout.

I remember one time, I think I was doing incline DB presses, and I tried to go up five pounds on each DB this one workout and it ended up being too heavy so I went back down to my original weight and I don't think I could even finish out however many sets I had left with that amount of weight, just like you did. I think that has to do with lifting heavier that makes your muscles more weak than they would normally be for the next few sets, which is why when you went back down to 45's, you couldn't complete your sets.

It could be that you just had a weaker workout like everyone is saying so maybe give it a go next workout again. If you still fail, then maybe just lift with the 45's for a little longer and then retry.

Good luck to you man!

we all have our off days. theres nothing worse than feeling like you regressed on a lift, but the truth is that you didnt regress, there were just some factors involved, stress, rest, nutrition/hydration for the day, etc, but i'll put my money on it that you tried to up your weight too quickly. everything has its peaks and troughs, but as long as you keep at it you'll bounce back even higher than you were b4. another way to look at it is at least you made it to the gym, so you're better off than not going at all.

as for going back down to 45s, you should stick to the 45s until you meet your goal and feel like you can do it in your sleep, then do more more weight. if you were struggling with the 45s is makes no sense to go up to 50s. the reason you had a hard time doing the 45s on ur second and third set is prolly cuz you burned yourself out on the first set with the 50s. the way i usually progress is always add things at the end, unless you're totally confident that you can handle the full 3 sets with the upped weight. so try 45, 45, 45 and when you think you're ready, do 45, 45, 50, then 45, 50, 50, then 50, 50, 50 and so on. good luck man, we all have our crap days, but keep at it and you'll be fine
    Last edited by soclydeza; 04-19-2010 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    You have to undestand that progress in not Linear, its Non-liner. You will have days of regression and plataeus due to numerous factors because life is not perfecta nd stress, not enough rest, etc... comes into play. This is one reason I base things of clients bio-feddback more so than just numbers.
    Or at least on a longer-term basis, I'd think.
    ain't nuttin but a peanut.

You will have gotten stronger when the weight that feels heavy is actually heavier than the weight that feels heavy now. Then the weight that feels heavy now will be a warmup for the weight that feels heavy then. But the weight will always feel heavy or you're not lifting enough weight. Clear? -Rippetoe

We all have 'bad lifting days', it happens. The thing is you worked through it. In the over-all scheme of things, one bad day really doesn't matter. I'd stay where you're at and try again next time.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench