The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Does everyone actually track everything you eat?

That's the question... the thing is, I did it last year while cutting and was great, but its boring and i got tired of it.

When i bulk, i only track mentally the proteins and eat a lot of everything (increase a lot my bf). Now im trying to cut, and the only thing i count is, mentally again, the proteins. And eat carbs only at breakfast and pre post workout.

I just wanna now if im the only lazy one in here, and if somebody has got great results doin it this way.
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 206
    Bench:264 Squat:320 Dead:355
    Bodyfat: 21%

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Dudes, i need some advice please. Im not happy AT ALL with my body right now.

PS: Id wish to have like 15% BF because i play basketball. Right now im at 20% and dont want to loose muscle!

Weight: 200.6lbs
    Muscle:161lbs
    Fat:39.8lbs
    BF:20%---goal-->15%

I attached some pictures.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 206
    Bench:264 Squat:320 Dead:355
    Bodyfat: 21%

You're all over the place man, you need to gain some focus.

Do people make great gains without tracking every calorie? Of course, look at natural mesomorphs who eat junk food and never workout and still have lean, muscular builds. Is this you? Doesn't sound like it.

You said you don't track calories because you got tired of it and you're lazy. Now you're unhappy because you're not low bf%. Time to pick some priorities man, you clearly don't have the dieting experience to not count calories so start your diet journal back up. 20% bf --> 15% bf is very attainable, show some dedication, get your diet in check and start tracking calories.
    Scars are tatoos with better stories.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    I track about 75% of my calories (everything I have the ability to actually track, stuff I prepare myself). Dinners are very difficult for me to measure since they are home-cooked by my mother and have tons of different ingredients in them, but I've gotten pretty good at estimating. After tracking my calories for 3-4 weeks though it gets to the point where I can pretty much tell how many calories I've eaten just because I eat the same foods all the time and well sometimes I do get lazy measuring and inputting so I just say **** it and eat. But I also don't really have a target goal weight/bf%. I'm kinda just fine with hovering around maintenance and maybe dropping a bit, which is what's happening.

My advice is to just track it. It may be "boring," but is having great results boring? I think not
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    My advice is suck it up and track everything. It takes what an extra 15 minutes out of your day? I have some clients that just flat out refuse to track their food. Then I have the ones that track everything down all day everyday. The ones that track progress much faster. It becomes a second nature after awhile as well.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Banned
    Nope. I just can't be bothered. Its not important to me.

I do have a rough idea of calories and I watch my body's response quite closely. If I ever want to get under 10% bodyfat again I'll probably start, but its not a priority.

Im lazy... i used to track calories i remember in high school while working at the gas station i would almost always have a peice of paper with a running tally of calories consumed ...damn we had lots of protein and candy bars at the gas station back then and were allowed to eat whatever we wanted...ovetime i grew to hate the "reeses fast break" which i originally loved.

Anyways i dont track calories anymore.. i got into a groove i know what i can eat for breakfast, post workout, lunch, dinner and so on... its usually a variation of something ive had a million times so i estimate...am i probably off a lot? yeah but i can still tweak my diet pretty easily to lose or gain weight.

I come up with a basic meal plan based on goals. If I end up eating something that isn't planned, I try to guesstimate the calories (or look it up, if possible) and adjust the rest of the day from there.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

I keep check, but I just eat several equal meals. My maintaince is roughly 3200 ish kcal so I would just eat 4 750 cal meals and a post workout shake, takes all the calculating out when I just need to get to 750 in my head 4 times.

But I don't track macros or anything, just keep a rough check on protein and eat enough fat.

Wannabebig Member
    I don't track what i eat, but since i began lift weighting i try to eat healthy food. The only thing what it actually track is what i eat before the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Nope. I just can't be bothered. Its not important to me.

I do have a rough idea of calories and I watch my body's response quite closely. If I ever want to get under 10% bodyfat again I'll probably start, but its not a priority.
    This.

I eat by feel. I tracked things pretty closely for long enough (~3 years) that I can probably estimate within about 200kCal of reality. That's close enough for me. If things start going wrong, I just back off, cut out extras, and train harder.

I firmly believe that everyone should be tracking for a long time at first. That's the only way there's even a possibility you'll be able to get a feel for doing things right. However, some people stop tracking and crash completely.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Wannabebig Member
    Beggars can't be choosers. If you're having a difficult time cutting down to and maintaining a certain BF% without tracking calories then I'd say it's time to start. Yeah counting calories is boring, but it really isn't THAT bad.

If you truly find the task of tracking that horrible, then find a way to make it easier. Set up a "menu" of pre-tracked meals. That way all you have to do is pick one of the meals and record the nutrition information, which will be easy since it should already be written down and totaled on your "menu". Just an idea.

If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.
    ~Maya Angelou

If it's really an issue and you WANT to track things, do what I've been doing and what J Man said. Set out pre-tracked meals for the week, eat the same things Mondays, Tuesdays, etc. We try to pre-portion things out at the beginning of the week and you're good to go buddy.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Wannabebig New Member
    If you are not satisfied and didn't get proper suggestion I give you only one advise that you need proper dietician who can give best advise and this is best way because It is very important for our body that what we need and don't need.

My base diet is the Zone Diet, ESPECIALLY when trying to lean out...super easy to "track" blocks (MUCH easier than tracking calories)
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Wannabebig Member
    Hmm, you don't look 20% body fat. Though body fat is hard to judge from appearance. How did you measure your body fat? Without doing a full-body MRI scan, the only way that can achieve accurate results is hydrostatic testing. Skin fold is utter BS; I had a skin fold measurement that put me at 18% one day then a week later just to be sure I took another test at a different place (both with trained professionals, fyi) and it put me at 14.5%.
    Last edited by alin; 04-11-2010 at 04:44 AM.

i read nutrition labels throughout the day to make sure i meet my requirements and play it by ear most of the time. occasionally ill give myself a nutritional audit on fitday.com to see if im on track and need to take in or cut more calories

Banned

RE:Does everyone actually track everything you eat?

Hi ! guys i think you have to do daily exercise and jogging it cause your body has done more active and well . Your interest automatically increase to do work.

Thai Boxing Bodybuilder The Gasman UK's Avatar
    Tracking calories can help. It's now part of my daily routine and i know ive made much better progress since i started doing it. But you have to be totally honest or its pointless doing it. Not for everyone, but being a naturally hungry all the time Endo-meso i have to do it if i want to cut right.
    The Gasmans' journey to the single digits - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131623

Wannabebig Member
    I check the nutrition labels on every single item I buy at the store before I buy it. If it's going to be empty calories or fat or anything other than "holy crap this is good for you" food, I don't buy it. I eat a lot every day because I am trying to gain, but if you want to drop your body %, you need to count everything.

What exactly is your diet like? Can you tell us what you eat in one day? That would probably help also and I know I could give you some food substitutes if you're not eating the best.