Thread: Diet Troubles Need Serious Advice

Diet Troubles Need Serious Advice

Hey guys, yes im back "again", this time im not concerned about posting my workouts i just need some diet help/coaching. I talked to vin d. about this along with my training partners. I competed my last contest at a bloated 258. My lifts are great, but my body comp. and condition is not. the first week i lost 5 pounds of bloat, but since then (3 weeks) ive gained 1.5 back and maintained. Ive been trying the shelby starnes carb cycling and honestly im not losing any weight.

Im not looking for miracles, i just want to lose 1-2 lbs a week consisitantly until my next meet in october, thats 5 months of cutting. Should be PLENTY of time to get down to 225 ish or a little higher. As far as the diet, im still hungry every minute, even on the high days. I dont feel any better or "amazing" eating a ton of carbs and low fat. My protien is around 200-250 normal and i try for 300 on low carb days.

Basically, i dont like carb cycling, and i dont think i need it to maintain the mass ive worked hard for and to maintain my strength. Im starting cardio 2x a week for now and i dont think i should need more than that.

Can anyone help me out?

PS - just want to say this to all the new lifters, BULK CLEAN. honestly, unless you a complete STICK with no muscle OR fat, really eat clean and do it slow. take it from me!

-Rob
    2000 or bust

I have seen no substitute that works better than the tried and true method of tracking calories. Figure out what you are taking in everyday then slash it by 500 or even more since you said you are gaining a bit right now. It will work.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

RAWR n00b stickies!!!!!

More info needed, dude. In as much detail as possible, what are you doing right now that isn't working? Since you have a starting point, it might be possible to salvage. Then again, you might need to rebuild completely.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

viking, i take it you dont remember me, i used to post on this board years ago and ive been training/powerlifting for 4 years.

i track my calories, they are around 3000 a day, i dont know how much i can slash when im already hungry as hell. what details do you guys want? im 250 in the AM naked, 20 yrs old, train heavy PL 4 times a week, desk job with alot of walking, and now cardio 2x a week. in my initial post i said that ive been carb cycling and i dont find it working, high med low days.

im just looking for tips and tricks to maybe help with the hunger and get the weight loss im looking for, i just want to compete at a lower weight class to break some national records.
    Last edited by Stumprrp; 04-26-2010 at 08:10 PM.
    2000 or bust

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post
    viking, i take it you dont remember me, i used to post on this board years ago and ive been training/powerlifting for 4 years.

i track my calories, they are around 3000 a day, i dont know how much i can slash when im already hungry as hell. what details do you guys want? im 250 in the AM naked, 20 yrs old, train heavy PL 4 times a week, desk job with alot of walking, and now cardio 2x a week. in my initial post i said that ive been carb cycling and i dont find it working, high med low days.

im just looking for tips and tricks to maybe help with the hunger and get the weight loss im looking for, i just want to compete at a lower weight class to break some national records.
    3000 sounds really low based on your stats and activity. I suspect you're way off there.

Basically people post numbers two ways on this board.

Method 1:
    "they are around 3000 a day"

Method 2:

3000 cals
    190 protein
    250 carbs
    137 fat

Whenever someone just posts their cals I'm usually left wondering.

That said, hunger is best controlled by controlling resting blood sugar and insulin levels. This can be accomplished by cleaning up your diet in general, reducing carb intake and being strategic with each meal. By strategic I mean eating fiber with each meal adding in healthy fats etc.

If you're hungry and not losing weight you're doing something wrong.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

im pretty good with ballparking calories, as the foods i have been eating are natural or fairly healthy sources. i could be off, but i need to find the time to set up a fit day account. i find that program hard to use considering i dont eat 100% plain jane foods.

i eat every 2.5 hours and yes im always hungry even when i was bulking i was always hungry, my appetite is insane.

ill keep you guys posted on how i do this week, im cutting the carb cycling thing and just eating less / clean as possible, although ive been doing that for the 3 weeks ive maintained.
    2000 or bust

I am having some great result swith carb cycling, but I do appreciate that some people prefer a more straight forward approach. I am with you on the bulk clean thing too. I was at 215 for like 5 years kidding myself I had muscle. At 177 now, I still got 10 lbs or so till I hit 10%, looks like I didn't have that much muscle lol. Once I hit 10% I am gonna do things REAL REAL slow.

When all is said and done, it comes down to your calorie intake and activity - period. If you are maintaining it's because you're eating too much and/or you're not active enough - there is no two ways about it.

Tracking calories is SO important and fitday is brilliant at this. You can set up custom foods for those more akward foods and it enables you to hit your numbers reasonably accurately every day.

Check out this article - To Bulk or to Cut, That is the Question - or is it? If you apply the numbers and approach in this article I think you'll lose weight nicely.

Ultimatey though you really do need to start tracking calories and macros accurately as I am positive this is your downfall currently. What you think you are eating and what you are eating is likely to be different.

In my opinion the 3 most important things to do in this order are:

1. hit your total calories every day
    2. eat good, clean food sources
    3. hit your macros

1 is ciritical, 2 is important but it can vary a little and 3 again reasonably important but can vary a little.

Keep it basic - try and stick to 3,000 calories every day for 2 weeks and use a straight forward macro split such as 40/30/30 (protein, carbs and fat - this is pretty close to the bulk and cut article guidelines) Keep cardio at a constant (say 2 x 45 mins a week).

If in 2 weeks you have not lost weight, you need to cut calories by 250 and perhaps up cardio by 30 mins a week. And keep doing that until you are losing 1-2 lbs. I promise you that will happen if you follow the above advice.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

daniel, thank you very much for the reply. i will take your advice and thats pretty much what im doing this week. however my cardio is much shorter, usually 1 mile of sled drags, or 15-20 min of interval training w/ ankle weights, 1 min jog 1 min walk, running is very hard on my knees, stupid heavy squats.

i just need to maintain my strength, if i can do that, with tight fitting gear, i can probably total over 2000 @ 220/242 drug free. i just totalled 17xx only using a bench shirt.
    2000 or bust

Wow, some big numbers - congrats.

Well, I am not in your league lol, but I can tell you that I have cut down from 215 to 177 and I am stronger. If you do it in a slow fashion (1-2 lbs is just perfect) and still keep good, clean foods coming into your body on a consistent basis, you should be able to retain strength.

It's all about being consistent with the plan, the eating bit in particular. If things are at a constant (which is why it;s so important to track calories) then you have a constant plan you can change and then re-monitor.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

I hear you man, ill be making a fitday account tonight and try to track daily. all i want is 2 lbs a week, and once i get closer to my goal ill shorten that to 1 lbs a week. i feel at my weight and body fat (approx 21-22%) 2 lbs a week is pretty safe.

how often do you cheat? im so concerned i havent really had a real cheat meal in a around 3 weeks when i went out for japanese food, and thats not even bad for you lol.
    2000 or bust

It was a joke, dude. Of course I remember you.

Holto and Daniel both pretty much covered everything I was going to say. If you're not weighing out everything before you eat it, you're not accurately tracking cals. That's just reality. Once you do start being completely anal about everything you put in your food hole, you'll probably find you're farther off target than you thought. Estimating works fine for bulking and maintaining. Cutting requires a lot more precision.

Real, whole food is king. Lots of leafy greens and other veggies. The fiber will help keep you fuller longer. So will fats and protein.

Here are a couple of rules I learned to follow:
    1. If it comes in a brightly colored package, put it the **** down.
    2. If it takes more than 3 steps of processing to get it from its natural state to your hands, put it the **** down.
    3. If it comes from any part of the grocery store other than the outer perimeter, put it the **** down.
    4. Plan all your meals in detail AT LEAST two days in advance. Prep them ahead of time if possible.

Something else you may want to consider is IF. I always struggled on a more traditional diet but switching to an Intermittent Fasting plan worked very well after the adjustment period.

Vike - haha I knew something was up.. Thanks for the tips for the most part I've been eating very plain, however I still season my food extensivly. I'm a complete food and cooking junkie so this is harder then ever. For example today I went to my favorite breakfast spot before work, I limited myself to a spinach omellete, saute'd veggies, and dry multigrain toast, that's by far my biggest meal for today
    2000 or bust

I'm the same - the key is just not eating out lol Too many temptations and a frustrating experience on the whole. Save it for cheat meals

Vike - haha I knew something was up.. Thanks for the tips for the most part I've been eating very plain, however I still season my food extensivly. I'm a complete food and cooking junkie so this is harder then ever. For example today I went to my favorite breakfast spot before work, I limited myself to a spinach omellete, saute'd veggies, and dry multigrain toast, that's by far my biggest meal for today
    Something that you find is that, as you eliminate crap and replace it with minimally processed foods, your palate will open up and you won't need as much seasoning. The typical American diet is very aggressive. Lots of salt, lots of sugar, not a lot of subtlety. Once all that stuff gets cleaned up, you'll be able to appreciate the flavors of the food itself.

Cut out condiments altogether and stick with seasonings while you're cooking. Salt, pepper, herbs, and spices. If you properly season your food while you prepare it, stuff like ketchup and steak sauce becomes completely unnecessary. Those things should be banned entirely. They're culinary abominations.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post
    If you properly season your food while you prepare it, stuff like ketchup and steak sauce becomes completely unnecessary. Those things should be banned entirely. They're culinary abominations.
    Steak sauce is an abomination.

I had a beautiful sirloin last night, wrapped in bacon, seared on the outside and raw in the middle. I just seasoned it with some sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, and it was incredible. I cut the slices super thin and made sweet love to that little round block of meat for about a half hour.

I have another one in the fridge that I'm going to throw on the grill tonight.

The best part? They were at costco for $4.75/lb.
    Last edited by Mercuryblade; 04-29-2010 at 02:52 PM.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Carb cycling is ridiculous for your goals. I didn't read all the responses just the original post but all you need is a consistent diet thats a few hundred calories under maintanence... at your weight cutting weight is extremely simple. Fancy tactics like carb cycling are really only necessary for extreme dieting needs... like getting sub 8%
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

behemoth - a buddy i know who used to do BB but is now a PL said the same thing, eat clean, do a little cardio, and keep up the lifting and it will come off.

vike - what you said is how i prepare my food, i dont use condoments i use spices and herbs. for example when i make a steak ill either do a sear like someone mentioned, or ill make a dry rub with assorted spices for the grill. steak sauce, IMO, is good when its a home made sauce IE bernaise, balsamic, those types of things.
    2000 or bust