Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What sucks about dieting

What sucks about dieting

I am six weeks into a cut and it's getting easier, but damn, some things sure get to me once in a while. My biggest gripe now is not being able to snack. I mean, I'd really just love a handful of pretzels. No pain, no gain, I guess.

Anyone else have a gripe about their diet right now?

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

wha'ts to gripe about? you eat healthier..which makes you more productive in the gym. Quality in means quality out right? even if it's a big ****! LOL if you like snacking brother just find snacks that fit into your program. I like beef jerky and stuff between means but cut out some protien in the meals so I CAN snack on it(fats too...i make my own jerky). Plus when you cut down and keep alot of your strength, you've in effect created a stronger athlete which is what we're all after to begin with right? The hardest part about dieting is not thinking about it being a diet..you have to eat period..so making a better choice instead of a ****ty one should make you feel better on the upside. Quality food means quality muscle..and faster gains due to quality bioavailabilty. When you gain confidence and start getting happier with how you look, feel, and perform, that translates to other areas in life, not just the gym.

you got this **** in the bag big vin...if you can put your mind to crushing all the numbers i've seen you do throughout your career...dieting is a walk in the part mentally. Do it to it big man
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    I am six weeks into a cut and it's getting easier, but damn, some things sure get to me once in a while. My biggest gripe now is not being able to snack. I mean, I'd really just love a handful of pretzels. No pain, no gain, I guess.

Anyone else have a gripe about their diet right now?
    Following unreal's general rule of "a calorie is a calorie" is pretty great way to stay sane during cutting.

I can be so strict with my eating for the rest of the day that if I want a slice of pizza or a burger, I just make up for the calories. Keep the portions under control and it's very possible to get great results and still get those occasional delicious foods in.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

I'm with you Vin. When I'm cutting, I have to keep it clean.

If I cheat, or just tell myself that I need once slice of pizza, it'll always end up being being 3 or 4. Whereas if I just suck it up and stick to the plan, I get used to it.

Honestly, sometimes my biggest irritation is the amounts I have to eat to hit the caloric totals I need for the day. When you're eating stuff that isn't as calorie dense, man you really have to eat so much more

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

When it comes to diet I'm extreme....I just switch off,ignore the cravings and occupy myself with different things.Once you put your mind on food all day long.The diet will seem never ending....Mind over body ;-)
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Oh, clearly only Travis and I have inner fat dudes in us. Actually, mine is still an outer fat dude. I am starting to see some decent results and it has become more of a lifestyle, but shutting off over ten years of trying to gain weight habits can be a little difficult. Let's be honest, if this were easy, everyone would be doing it.

For the 12 week cut, I am following exactly what I am supposed to do. When it's over I will definitely incorporate some of the ideas mentioned.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

Ha ha, I am totally with you. I'm on the EDGE right now.

I'm not concerned with snacking, my favorate past time is food and wine. I'm talking going to a restaurant, having 3 courses, a bottle of wine and not walking out that sucka until you are literally half slipping into a coma. Some nice bread and oils and mushroom with cheese for starters, massive ribs, fries and veggies for main and how about a treacle pudding with ice cream for desert, a double expresso to wash it down and a bottle of red vino throughout.

I think about this **** like EVERY day. Multiple times.

But, when I did this I was 215, weak and totally ashamed to take my top off. The pure fact that I am now 177 and at my strongest/fittest ever keeps me eating clean every day and doing about 5 hours of cardio every week. (well give or take a few slips!) Once I get to 170 and stay there for a few months, I have a feeling that my body will adapt to being that lean/light and I can relax tihngs just a little, but for now I am just pressing on and hanging up on every mate that calls me because I know he'll be asking me out for some food or drinks lol.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Also I'll add this. I haven't been ill once in the 9 months I have gotten serious about this, not even a sniffle.

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Dieting is a pain in the a** definately.

I have an office job first off, and secondly I naturally store fat very easily. Third, I like to drink a lot! Lifting alone doesn't keep the fat off, and since I have trouble sticking to a clean diet all the time, I've found that THE WAY for me to keep the fat off and stay lean was to join an MMA/Jiu-jitsu class. All that cardio practically melts all the fat off....and I don't have to eat super clean and restricted either!!!

Cardio alone sucks, but when doing it in a form that I actually enjoy doing, it is awesome!!!! I learn to kick some a**, and I get in shape, and I still get to eat my pizza and drink my beer!
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

remember..it's not your body that craves the crappy food or certain types of food..it's your head.

THANKS FOR MAKING TODAY THAT MUCH MORE DIFFICULT DANNY! LOL! that sounds like the perfectly designed cheat day to me!

and ya'll are right..once your body has adapted to a certain weight and your homeostatic balance adjusts to the levels it should be at to regulate at that particular weight then things will ease up some and you can be abit lax along with micro managing depending on how much you gain or lose.
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

Wannabebig Member
    if your not snacking your not doing it right, you should be eating a small meal every 3 or so hours, which means your snacking all day long. But at the end of the day all those small means should equal the same calories you want to be eating for your diet. This allows your body to never go into starvation mode cause there is a steady stream of nourishment for it to digest.

Good way to do this is to buy a big ham, turkey breast, some big blocks of cheeses, chicken breasts, fruits veggies whatever... put them in your fridge and cut off some slices for a small meal a every few hours.

Another great side effect of this is your stomach will shrink because its not getting stretched out like usual. So the next time you go out to eat at a restaurant or some thing you will not be able to gorge out cause you will get full much quicker.

BTW sams club or stores like it are great for this kind of dieting cause you can buy big blocks of cheese and big hams/chicken/turkey ect ect and save some cash.
    Last edited by Krazor; 04-21-2010 at 02:11 PM.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazor View Post
    if your not snacking your not doing it right, you should be eating a small meal every 3 or so hours, which means your snacking all day long. But at the end of the day all those small means should equal the same calories you want to be eating for your diet. This allows your body to never go into starvation mode cause there is a steady stream of nourishment for it to digest.

Good way to do this is to buy a ham, turkey breast, some big blocks of cheeses, chicken breasts ect ect put them in your fridge and cut off some slices for a small meal a every few hours.
    I'm sure vinny meant snacking as in handful of this here and there. I call it grazing.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    I'm sure vinny meant snacking as in handful of this here and there. I call it grazing.
    But if he were eating every few hours he wouldn't have such strong cravings.

Well, I am eating 6 meals per day and trust me I still have cravings for all types of junk food and am hungry several times in the day. If you are on a calorie restricted diet and also restricting carbs, that's always going to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    Some nice bread and oils and mushroom with cheese for starters, massive ribs, fries and veggies for main and how about a treacle pudding with ice cream for desert, a double expresso to wash it down and a bottle of red vino throughout.

I will be right back.
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

multiple tiny meals are not necessary, ever

I fast 16 hours, and eat for 8 (IF)

2-3 meals in that time span...really easy to do
    Last edited by KingWilder; 04-21-2010 at 06:45 PM.
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

I am eating 6-7 times everyday. That said, I am on a very strict diet. Remember I am a fat powerlifter. This is a complete change for me. I'm 5'8" coming down from 325. Seriously, I am not obsessing. I'm just having some fun griping about dieting. It's not easy. However, I am committed. I am very goal oreiented and will stick to the plan. I have learned a lot from this process. I'll be happy when I get to a point where I can make some adjustments.

Walking through the masses of wal mart today and every damn fat food was calling my name and pulling me to it. Cakes, ice cream, pizzas...crap. It was so hard to walk out of there strictly by my list. Thank God for pepperoni and cheese, great snack food for me, and orange tic tacs, ha.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by KingWilder View Post
    multiple tiny meals are not necessary, ever

I fast 16 hours, and eat for 8 (IF)

2-3 meals in that time span...really easy to do
    We have a CRACKING article coming out very soon (probably mid may) on IF and I agree it is a really interesting concept and I will definately be trying it at some point in the future.

I have no problems with eating 6 times a day - it's very easy for me to prepare and consume so I am not being driven to something like IF for that reason. But, IF definately sounds like a more fun way to diet

Right now I am working with Shelby (who is truly excellent) and the weight is coming off nicely, so I am not going to mess with a successful formula!

Vinny, just for you...

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    We have a CRACKING article coming out very soon (probably mid may) on IF and I agree it is a really interesting concept and I will definately be trying it at some point in the future.

I have no problems with eating 6 times a day - it's very easy for me to prepare and consume so I am not being driven to something like IF for that reason. But, IF definately sounds like a more fun way to diet

Right now I am working with Shelby (who is truly excellent) and the weight is coming off nicely, so I am not going to mess with a successful formula!
    IF awesome...it's never been so easy for me to "cut" before (never tried it "bulking", but I foresee it coming in a few months). I've actually adopted it as a lifestyle and it seems to work nicely not having to worry about eating first thing when I get up (I'm a trainer so I'm busy in the morning anyway and it's a hassle to wake up any earlier than I already do and worry about food). On top of that I'm doing Paleo right now (plus sweet potatos Post Workout).

Excited to see how ALN's IF article compares with what I'm doing!
    Last edited by KingWilder; 04-22-2010 at 03:25 AM.
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Ernie Batson
    Hunger sucks the most.

I agree with Vin it's hard to turn off something you've been doing for years. Spreading out over the day helps me. I'm still hungry but at least I know I'll be eating again soon. That helps take the edge off.

I tried IF and I did not like. I was hungry all day. Plus the calorie rquirements for someone over 320 lbs makes it harder to consume the required amount in 8 hours without just constantly eating the whole time. Then my digestive system just hated me and so did my wife. 250+ grams of protien in 8 hours = rancid gas. I could'nt even take it.

HA HA HA
    my 2 cents
    You can be pitiful or powerful CHOOSE.

Banned
    I find reversing from one to the other quite tough psychologically. Just changing your habits and telling your mind to switch its thinking gets annoying.

OK, I'm not huge and I know there are people with faster metabolisms but since Christmas I pushed from around 195 to 210 while training hard and I really pushed the envelope. I'd trained my stomach to the point that I never got too stuffed, so I could eat several bowls of pasta, and huge plates of mashed potato. I'm naturally lean so I can get away with all the carbs. Whenever I was in town I'd buy junk food. I'd be setting reminders to eat my steaks or put my pizza in the oven. Each time I went to the supermarkets I'd pick up some cookies or small cakes - I was bulking, and I was lean so it was ok right? Everything helps... I started eating far more sweet stuff because I felt like I could get away with it.

Now I've finished my strength cycle, took a couple of weeks off and I'm trying to get a bit more cut and conditioned. Suddenly I'm battling all these natural, ingrained patterns to pick up baked goods or buy a snickers. I'm not so hungry I feel I have to have it, I'm just finding it difficult to break away from that process. I'd naturalized it in a fairly short period of time.

I can see now why some unhealthy people find it so hard to change their habits.

I stopped eating pretzel's after watching Mallrats...

Yeah that's exactly what I was talking about, the psychological aspect of it.

After the first couple weeks, it gets easier, but man, those first couple weeks were a real pain in the neck.

I'll be very interested to see the IF article. Sometimes it's easier for me to go longer periods of time without eating than it is to come up with 6 meals a day. Only problem usually ends up being my activity level kinda demands a bit of food.

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym