Thread: How to fit Complexes into a workout program?

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

How to fit Complexes into a workout program?

I've sort of put my sister on a modified version of SS for the past month or so. But being that girls' general goals are to lose fat (as he has told me as well), I'm thinking I should have her do Complexes. My question though is how to fit Complexes into a routine where she can only go to the gym 3x a week. Should she do a Complex after each training session (so 3 complexes a week)? Or should one of the days of the week be dedicated solely to Complexes? It's just that I'm trying to give advice on something that has never been my direct/only goal. I'm going for strength/GPP so obviously her program shouldn't be the same as mine, right?

I know diet is most important and that she'd reach her goal by simply lifting heavy and eating less, but I am just trying to make the best use of her time.

Any help would be appreciated.

Would something like this work?

Workout A: Squat, Deadlift, Bench + finish with cardio
    Workout B: Complex(es) + finish with cardio

Mon - Workout A
    Wed - Workout B
    Fri - Workout A

and then B/A/B the following week?

Or should she do something like bodyweight/dumbbell complexes on the days where she's not in the gym (Tues/Thurs/Sat)?

When I google for Complexes all I get is sample complexes, why they're effective, etc. etc., but I haven't seen any extensive info written up about actually basing a routine off of them.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 04-24-2010 at 12:02 AM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Why search the web when WBB has everything you might need?
    http://www.wannabebig.com/training/c...-for-fat-loss/

There was a real good article written by Tom Mutaffis, but I always have a hard time finding it. The search isn't pulling it up. I'll keep looking.

And why do you have a female that wants to lose weight doing a strength program like Starting Strength? It's a great program for building size and strength, and it's a great program for holding on to muscle during a cut, but I'd think there were better options for a female just looking to lose a little weight.
    Last edited by Off Road; 04-24-2010 at 12:55 AM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Here it is. Second article down.

http://www.wannabebig.com/newsletter/090109.html
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Well she doesn't really want to "lose weight." What she's after is body recomposition. I just simplified things and took the approach that she should lift heavy. I mean, it seems all the answers to everything at this forum are always: "lift heavy, eat more/less, rest."

Also, I've seen the WBB Complexes For Fat Loss, but it only has a sentence or two about implementation and it was pretty general.

Thanks for the link to the Mutaffis article, that seems to help explain things a bit.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Sorry. You're right, if she wants to build strength and muscle and lose some fat, then Starting Strength is good. I was confused by your first post that only mentioned fat loss. But, I certainly wouldn't add complexes on top of that routine, it will bury her if she's doing the routine correctly.
    Last edited by Off Road; 04-24-2010 at 08:49 AM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Yeah it seems I failed to mention that in my first post She basically doesn't care to actually lose lbs. on the scale, but wants to look more "fit" or whatever.

I mean, it just seems like she could be doing something more productive of her time and I feel a bit guilty putting her on SS just because it seems to have worked well for me. What would be a routine where she could build a bit of muscle and work complexes in on top of it?
    Lifting Journal

If I wanted to do Starting Strength and also comlexes, I would probably do something like this:

Workout A
    Squat 2x5

Complexes:
    Squats 1x5/Bench Press 1x5/Rows 1x5
    Bench Press 1x5/Rows 1x5
    Bench Press 1x5/Rows 1x5

Finish with:
    Deadlift 1x5

Workout B
    Squat 2x5

Complexes:
    Squats 1x5/Overhead Press 1x5/Chinups 1x5
    Overhead Press 1x5/Chinups 1x5
    Overhead Press 1x5/Chinups 1x5

Finish with:
    Powerclean 5x3

But I'm not the expert on complexes...
    Last edited by Off Road; 04-24-2010 at 01:48 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

That sounds interesting actually. I think I'll try having her go about the SS lifts this way and see what happens. Do you think she could use more sets though seeing as how she'll have to generally be using less weight by going through these lifts quickly (as opposed to strength-building SS)? Thanks
    Lifting Journal

SS is about progressing. It doesn't matter if she is using a lot of weight or hardly any weight, if she is doing SS, she'll be at a weight which will be plenty taxing soon enough.

If she is just doing light weights and not progressing on the lifts, then she might as well do only complexes.

Banned
    Just an idea but how about making it REAL simple and doing this:

Mon - A
    Wed - Complexes
    Fri - B

She's still squatting twice a week, and its really clearly laid out for a beginner. The complexes day might even help as active recovery, and she can give them her all that one day, instead of attempting them when she's already exhausted. She can focus solely on strength Monday and Friday which might help her get those prs progressively. If she adds cardio to all three days and makes the wednesday cardio a bit longer then that should work nicely. As her work capacity increases then she can make changes accordingly, possibly adding in more complexes later. Remember she's got to have the strength to even to do barbell complexes in the first place. I imagine a lot of girls will need to build baseline strength before anything fancy.

Banned
    Sorry, I've just realised my suggestion is very similar to your first idea!

You don't want to destroy her. I wouldn't add anything to it, it would be pretty brutal as it is. Get out of the mindset of doing more work, start thinking about the quality of work and concentrate on the diet part of it.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

You're right. Thanks both of you!
    Lifting Journal