The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: BP Heel Drive

BP Heel Drive

Hey guys I cant figure this one out. Ive viewed the dave tate BP cure and been trying to get the heel drive down but I just cant figure it out? Im sliding all over the bench, pretty much regardless of what weight Im using.

I can post some videos up, I got a bunch of them but anyone got some tips or tricks? "drive heels into floor" is what Dave says and I just cant do it / dont get what hes talking about. Been trying to get this down for 4+ months now
    Heres my 5/3/1 log with videos! New to the forum and powerlifting, feel free to stop by!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...48#post2313448

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Does your bench suck? A lot of commercial gym benches have a slippery pad on them.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWild View Post
    Does your bench suck? A lot of commercial gym benches have a slippery pad on them.
    Im using a Cybex bench, it has the leathery material on it what can get a little slick I suppose? never used anything else so idk what ot compare it to
    Heres my 5/3/1 log with videos! New to the forum and powerlifting, feel free to stop by!

Use a lot of chalk bro... Spread it on your upper-back and butt if neccessary. That should take care of the sliding problem.

As far as heel drive, try raising your toes inside your shoes and drive back into the bench thru the heels. This really helped me feel the heel pressure & power better when I first started benching.
    Good luck, RC

Get us some video. Heel drive will boost your bench numbers more than you could imagine. I can still remember the day I learned to drive my legs through the bench. It was sick.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

I think I heard Vincent or Karsten one time put it that they thought of it more as picking up their toes. Makes a lot of sense

Squeeze your hips and glutes really hard. Maybe you need to move your feet out a little wider as well. Just some random general thoughts. Like others have said video is really helpful.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Alright sounds good, thanks guys! Ill post up the videos I got now, idk how good the view is for feet but Ill post it anyways.

Next bench day is Friday so Ill make a montage lol

Alright heres all the videos I got of me benching, some are kinda bad but Ill get a good video this friday, thanks again guys much appreciated!!

Video

Video

Video

Video
    Last edited by ZSinMN; 04-21-2010 at 09:40 PM.

The one video that you can see your feet shows that your heels are actually infront of your toes. you need to move your toes forward so that your heels are behind your toes allowing you to drive them toward the ground. Try to move the contact point to the balls of your feet. I also think that you could change your set up a little to get tighter in the back and to increase your arch.....

Your feet are too far under you. They are actually past your hips. You need to move them towards the end of the bench so that you can push through your feet. There is no way to get leg drive if your feet are that far under you.

If you bench on your toes you need to drive the heel towards the floor (it won't touch, but still push down). If you bench flat footed you push back through the heel and try to lift the toes, as Vincent has described before.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

I found putting my feet out further helped me drive without slipping up the bench. As well Watch what kind of shirt your wearing. I've noticed anything really light weight or jersey type material doesn't stick so well. So I stick to cotton shirts.
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

Wannabebig Member
    I'm not a benching stud like some of these guys, but I think you're whole setup needs to get tighter. If you can pick your butt up and readjust it during your set every couple of reps, you need to get planted a lot tighter into the bench. And like Travis said, squeeze your hips and glutes tight. I think once you get your body setup figured up from your hips up to your shoulders, you'll feel that heel drive a lot more, as I think you are loosing a lot of that power transfer up it by having a loose setup.

Only other thing I'll add in addition to your feet being too far behind you is that you need to work more on your arch. you're still setting up rather flat on your upper back. If you get more up on your traps and squeeze your shoulders together tighter, along with moving your fee out and wider, I think you'll find it translates to a better leg drive.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Ok thanks for the critques and comments guys, much apprecaited!!

Ill try to use these tips tomororw, Ill post up better videos of my feeet and such

You have room for lots of improvement. You need to work on more than just your leg drive. You definitely need to get much tighter. Please don't take offense, we all start somewhere. Check out this article written by a very handsome guy http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...hlight=mindset

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    You have room for lots of improvement. You need to work on more than just your leg drive. You definitely need to get much tighter. Please don't take offense, we all start somewhere. Check out this article written by a very handsome guy http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...hlight=mindset
    Ya no offense taken what so ever, I know i suck at benching. ive never been good at it. I understand what the article is talkinga bout but when I try to do it, it all falls apart.

Heres couple more vids of tonight, tried to get my fett but it was kinda diffuclt to set up
    Video

Video

seems like I get goign good but when I try to plant my heels everythign falls apart

In both of those last two video's you setup with an arch, but as soon as you take the weight, you flatten out. Your butt moves toward the end of the bench and you lose all your arch. You have to stay TIGHT when you take the weight. Also, it looks like you aren't getting up on your traps at all. That will decrease your ROM another inch or two. It doesn't look like you're getting much leg drive yet either. If you can find it, check out the video of Kennelly doing 405 x 20 set in "Road to the Arnold" . It's like he is throwing the weight back up with his legs. You can actually see his leg drive. Good luck. When you get it right, PR's will be comin' fer sure.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

Heres the Kennelly vid:
    Video

Also, fire your gym DJ...haha
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Wannabebig Member
    Ryano is right, by the time you get the weight, your arch is gone. In the one vid, you even bounce your rear a couple of times and loose it more. Can you get your feet wider? Maybe that'll help plant your butt in tighter. From the vid, it looks like you are almost hitting the powercage supports with the sides of your feet. Is there a regular bench you can use so you can modify your setup?