Thread: French Press Alternatives?

Wannabebig Member

French Press Alternatives?

Ok, a little background first. Been a skinny bastard all my life, and since I can only do so much about the bastard part, I decided it was time to be a little beefy for the first time ever. I started lifting in early February, typical arms & chest yahoo you've all seen at the gym wondering why he can't pack on the poundage. Long story short, I tried to push a little hard one day, gave myself an exertion headache, and wound up here trying to figure out exactly what I did to myself. Started reading, cleaned up my diet, ate my face off, hopped on WBB 1 and haven't looked back.

So, as to my question, I've been progressing up in weight on all the exercises, starting out easy, doing warm up sets, the whole shebang. But as soon as I try to throw some real weight on the bar for french presses, my wrists hurt like mofos, my form gets awful, wrong muscles try to pick up the slack, more pain, etc etc.

I'm guessing cable tricep extensions aren't a full substitute, as they involve fewer muscles, but I'm looking for some more options. Thanks in advance!

Try dips. It seems like a lot of people have pain problems when doing french press/skull crushers.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Skulls, cable push-downs, JM Press, bench dips.

dips are good but have you tried doing single arm skull crushers with dumbells? that might change the angle of the pressure on your wrists as opposed to using an EZ bar
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 175

B: 255x1 DL: 375x1 SQ: work in progress

Goals: B-275 D-400 S-275 Weight- 180

Banned
    OH tri extensions.. that can be rough on the shoulder though

Quote Originally Posted by wags View Post
    Ok, a little background first. Been a skinny bastard all my life, and since I can only do so much about the bastard part, I decided it was time to be a little beefy for the first time ever. I started lifting in early February, typical arms & chest yahoo you've all seen at the gym wondering why he can't pack on the poundage. Long story short, I tried to push a little hard one day, gave myself an exertion headache, and wound up here trying to figure out exactly what I did to myself. Started reading, cleaned up my diet, ate my face off, hopped on WBB 1 and haven't looked back.

So, as to my question, I've been progressing up in weight on all the exercises, starting out easy, doing warm up sets, the whole shebang. But as soon as I try to throw some real weight on the bar for french presses, my wrists hurt like mofos, my form gets awful, wrong muscles try to pick up the slack, more pain, etc etc.

I'm guessing cable tricep extensions aren't a full substitute, as they involve fewer muscles, but I'm looking for some more options. Thanks in advance!
    Are you using an EZ-Curl Bar for the French Presses? Make sure that you are holding the bar the same way that you would hold a V-Bar (pushdown bar).

Some good Triceps movements include:

- Dips or Weighted Dips
    - Close Grip Bench Press
    - Pushdowns
    - Overhead Barbell or Dumbbell Extensions
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for all the input guys. I already do dips and narrow grip bench as part of the WBB1 routine. I'll give some of the other suggestions a shot. Good to know it's not just me and my skinny wrists that have issues with the french press.
    Last edited by wags; 05-19-2010 at 06:48 AM.

Rolling dumbell tricep extensions

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

heavy board presses and band pushdowns - both underrated tricep exercises..
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/