Thread: Bench Press Max won't go up

Bench Press Max won't go up

Is it possible that I can be seeing progress with my 'working sets', yet my 1RM is not improving?

I'm about to the end of WBB 1.1, and I've put on about 14 pounds, and people have noticed. That's all fine and well. But.... My bench press max is not improving. My working sets have improved, but my best 1RM was on Feb 12, and I haven't been able to move that number since that day. (I tried once 3 wks ago, and again last night).

Normal, or unusual?
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Bosch232 View Post
    Is it possible that I can be seeing progress with my 'working sets', yet my 1RM is not improving?

I'm about to the end of WBB 1.1, and I've put on about 14 pounds, and people have noticed. That's all fine and well. But.... My bench press max is not improving. My working sets have improved, but my best 1RM was on Feb 12, and I haven't been able to move that number since that day. (I tried once 3 wks ago, and again last night).

Normal, or unusual?
    Could be a number of things...

For 2 weeks try 4-8 sets of 3 reps on the bench press 3x a week, starting about 15-20ishlbs lighter than your 3RM. Each workout, microload ~2-3lbs more each time. You can accomplish this by adding sets of clips (standard clip weighs ~1lb).

By the end of the 2 weeks you should have improved your 3RM by at least 5 poundsish. This is just a rough guess, and if you are advanced in your training, this method won't work to help improve your 1RM.

However, it sounds like you are a beginner lifter who can make pretty rapid linear gains. Make sure you are gaining body weight and getting enough rest/recovery/calories. If all that is in order, this should work.

Edit: I didn't really take in to consideration the rest of your program... I'd add this bench workout to the beginning of each session and cut the volume/intensity on your other pressing movements.

If you are having a tough time recovering, drop 1 day of the bench press specialization and replace with lower volume pressing work.

You may have an issue with a certain part of the movement. Finding your sticking point and doing work to improve that should help. However, if you are still a beginner lifter, working on the full range of motion is probably most practical.
    Last edited by Raleighwood; 04-22-2010 at 08:33 AM.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Bosch, I'm wondering if this is a by product of the 1.1 program? I'm having the same exact issue and was going to ask the same question lol. All my other lifts have exploded, but the bench, it's rather frustrating. I have seen a ton of hypertrophy and like you said people have noticed that i am bigger....just not stronger on that lift.
    Bench: Half a subway club
    Squat: to pee
    Deadlift: no thanks

don't let the 12" pythons fool you....i can run way faster scared than you can mad

I wrote a program which I guarantee will significantly up your bench in 30 days. It is published on this site. You can download it for free. Thousands have tried it with excellent results.

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...lbs-in-30-days!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by cant hit bombz View Post
    Bosch, I'm wondering if this is a by product of the 1.1 program? I'm having the same exact issue and was going to ask the same question lol. All my other lifts have exploded, but the bench, it's rather frustrating. I have seen a ton of hypertrophy and like you said people have noticed that i am bigger....just not stronger on that lift.
    That IS a very curious coincidence, considering we both started 1.1 about the same time, and I think our stats are similar. I'm currently considering two courses here:

1. Waiting for HTC 12 to go public.
    2. Chris Mason's plan that he mentioned above.

Right now, I have about two or three weeks to consider them, because I'm giving my knees a rest and not hitting the lower body days. (I want to do lower body, but the phys therapy exercises need to catch up, or they're going to hurt forever.) Thanks for the replies, all.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

why not just begin the 30 day bench program first while you wait for hct-12 to be released? if you have been running wbb 1.1 for a few months now then it is probablly time for a new program.
    5'7

bench - 245 x 2
    squat - 315 x 5
    dl- 355 x 1
    goal - Bigger Faster Stronger

It took me over a year to bench 225, sometimes it just takes a long time with the wrong approach. Mr. Masons' article is brilliant, and a good place to invest some reading time.

You may want to start considering your goals, looking muscular or increasing your 1RM.

Quote Originally Posted by n4rd0 View Post
    why not just begin the 30 day bench program first while you wait for hct-12 to be released?

Because I need to give my knees a rest. The physical therapy exercises that I'm doing for them need to catch up to the rest of my leg muscle gains. Without going into long details: WBB 1.1 has strengthened my legs, but certain leg muscles are slowly pulling my knees out of alignment. The phys therapy is being done to get the other muscles to catch up. So squats and deadlifts are on the shelf for a few weeks.

If you've gotten bigger from a bodybuilding routine, but your max still hasn't gone up it may be from not handling heavy weight often enough. You might try to increase weight and decrease reps for a few weeks. And consider increasing weight on assistance moves like D-bell presses, etc. Also look at adding in exercises like Rack lockouts or board presses or close grip bench.

If you are not on a routine to increase your 1RM why do you expect such results?
    Sarvamangalam!

I guess I thought WBB 1.1 WOULD increase the 1RM.
    Not true?

Here it is, in a nutshell:

Day 1 - Lower Body/Abs

Front Squat/Back Squat
    Alternating Lunges
    Good Mornings
    Standing Calve Raises
    Diagonal Cable Wood Chops
    Planks

Day 2 - Upper Body

Straight Arm Pull Downs
    Flat Bench Press/Dumbbell Chest Press
    Standing Dumbbell Shoulder Press
    Dips
    Variation of Standing Biceps Curls
    Swiss Ball Cable Crunches

Day 4 - Lower Body

Deadlifts
    Step Ups
    Pull Through
    Seated Calve Raises
    Walk Outs
    Side Planks

Day 5 - Upper Body

Chin Ups/ Modified Pull Ups
    Seated Wide Grip Cable Row/One Arm Dumbbell Rows
    Push Ups (variations)
    Scaption
    Dumbbell Skull Crushers
    Leg Raises
    Last edited by Bosch232; 04-25-2010 at 08:52 PM.

It will increase your 1RM but probably not that quickly compared to doing something like west side.

How much have you increased your working sets and what has your 1RM stayed at?