Thread: Personal fitness is messing up routine, advice needed

Personal fitness is messing up routine, advice needed

So im in a personal fitness class, and we are marked according to our 12 minute run, sit and reach test, push ups, sit ups, chin ups. That isnt really whats important to me, getting my strength up is (but my 3 of my tests have been going up as well). So it was going all good till the teacher decided that everyone with 50% or less (which is 2400 meters by the way) on the 12 minute run has to run it 3 times a week (and we only get 3 days a week to work out, which is a problem for me in of itself.) Ive been running the 12 minute run as HIIT, becuase i just hate jogging, which leads me to my first question. If you d HIIT conditioning, does that transfer over well to aerobic steady state jogging. My other question is i am pretty tired after the 12 minute run, but i do have the opprotunity to work out after school, should i do my whole work out after school? I was thinking maybe after the 12 minute run, do a complex and mobility work, then just wait till after school and do my actual strength training.

are you in middle school? I remember having the pushup test, situp test, sit and reach, runs, etc.

If it's mandatory to do all of the stuff in your fitness class, then i would eat a lot after the class and maybe workout after school if you feel like you have enough energy.. If you don't feel like you can optimally perform, then workout on the days when you don't run in class.

Its not mandatory, and up untill recently it wasnt mandatory to run either. We run 3 out of 5 days so that doesnt leave me much options does it?

Quote Originally Posted by Astreocclu View Post
    Its not mandatory, and up untill recently it wasnt mandatory to run either. We run 3 out of 5 days so that doesnt leave me much options does it?
    Then i think it would be a good idea to not do it and just to focus on training after school..

Sorry, the class is mandatory, i meant that actually doing push ups and stuff for training are not. Yeah im gonna start staying after school i guess.

They tried to make us do that during high school. My friends and I just walked or ran it backwards against the traffic of all the other students hehe.

Sorry, the class is mandatory, i meant that actually doing push ups and stuff for training are not. Yeah im gonna start staying after school i guess.
    i would do as little as you possibly can, and train according to your schedule. Then once it ends, just keep training and you might see your #s go up a bit if you're not as fatigued.

How long have you been lifting/what are your numbers?

The school year is almost over. Just suck it up and do it. The extra conditioning will pay off when it's over. It's not a drastic conditioning program to begin with, but you could cut your lifting back to the bare minimum and still keep making progress. Maybe squat day, bench day, and deadlift day with a few accessories thrown in.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    The school year is almost over. Just suck it up and do it. The extra conditioning will pay off when it's over. It's not a drastic conditioning program to begin with, but you could cut your lifting back to the bare minimum and still keep making progress. Maybe squat day, bench day, and deadlift day with a few accessories thrown in.
    2 and half months isnt as short as you would make it out to be. Im on WS4SB

2 and half months isnt as short as you would make it out to be. Im on WS4SB
    10 weeks is a very short time compared to the years of training it takes to make REAL progress. Do you really think cutting back on the volume of your lifting for 10 weeks will make a huge difference? Not to mention all the good things that the extra conditioning can do for your lifting.
    Last edited by Off Road; 04-24-2010 at 10:24 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

So is it a 12min run or a 2400m run? If they just make you run for 12 minutes give it like 12% effort and just half-jog/walk for the time. If they actually make you complete the 2400m each day just take your time to finish it.

What happens if you take longer than 12 minutes to run the 2400m?
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

While everyone is entitled to their own choices about their fitness level, I believe being able to run at a decent pace for 12 minutes is something everyone should strive to be able to do.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

its a run for 12 minutes, but if we didnt get 2400 meters in our test then we have to run 3 times a week. I agree Raleigh, its just that id rather work on sport specific conditioning for football, and on general strenghth, because i am very weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    10 weeks is a very short time compared to the years of training it takes to make REAL progress. Do you really think cutting back on the volume of your lifting for 10 weeks will make a huge difference? Not to mention all the good things that the extra conditioning can do for your lifting.
    Not making progress in small steps is hugely demotivating. Theres a very competitive nature among my friends forw orking out.

Just run the 2400 meters. Its nothing.

You have to make up your own mind, nobody here can make the decisions for you. The only thing we can do is give our opinions and try to help you along the way. If you decide to go ahead with the running, I'm sure we can help you fit your lifting into the schedule to keep you progressing. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Not making progress in small steps is hugely demotivating. Theres a very competitive nature among my friends forw orking out.
    that could be good but if youre going to beat yourself up over 10 weeks youre not going to make it in the long run... getting stronger isnt a sprint its a damn long distance run and if you arent enjoying it you might give up a lot sooner

So i definately want to keep lifting weights, ive been on WS4SB. Should i keep that program and lower my volume? should i choose a different program? Usually it was monday upperbodymax, tuesday lowerbody dynamic, wensday off, thursday upper body rep, friday lower body max. I run on monday/wensday/friday

Wannabebig Member
    Joe, if you run 200 m and walk 200 metres you don't get tired at all. Grant and Ryan and I did it, and we got like 5 1/2 laps. Could have EASILY gotten 6 if we tried.

Keep your program the way it is. The running may not effect your lifting at all. If your lifts start to backslide, then look at cutting the volume.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

small flabby and hairy joelhall's Avatar
    like off road said, just get on with it. youll be glad for the extra conditioning.