The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: low GI diet

Wannabebig Member

low GI diet

It is advised to eat low value GI foods - apparently a diet should mainly consist of food stuffs with a GI value of less than 56.

That seems simple enough however there is also GI loading; I am not sure what this is but it seems to suggest that quantity with reference to the GI value plays a part in the choice of foods. So a small quantity of a food with a high GI value is better than a large quantity of food with a low value. Or is it?

Furthermore the food mix seems to influence the GI value. Watermelon, with a high GI value, becomes a low GI food when it is eaten with (for instance) apple.

Maybe someone can clarify all this for me. Thank you.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gelong View Post
    It is advised to eat low value GI foods - apparently a diet should mainly consist of food stuffs with a GI value of less than 56.

That seems simple enough however there is also GI loading; I am not sure what this is but it seems to suggest that quantity with reference to the GI value plays a part in the choice of foods. So a small quantity of a food with a high GI value is better than a large quantity of food with a low value. Or is it?

Furthermore the food mix seems to influence the GI value. Watermelon, with a high GI value, becomes a low GI food when it is eaten with (for instance) apple.

Maybe someone can clarify all this for me. Thank you.
    GI is something that should be taken with a grain of salt.
    I would avoid loading up on large quantities if high GI foods in a single sitting, unless you are intentionally trying to spike your insulin (post-workout for instance).

But you are correct, that fibrous (and fatty?) foods can slow the absorption of the glucose, so a "high GI food" can become a "medium" or a "low" food.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Wannabebig New Member
    Factors such as how the food is prepared, the presence of other nutrients (fiber, fat, protein), and the effects of previous meals all impact GI. Unless you are diabetic, I honestly wouldn't put too much weight into in

Wannabebig Member
    I am not a diabetic however my blood sugar has risen to just under the normal upper limit so I am paying more attention to the GI factor.

Anyway working with the premise that food above 55 can have detrimental effects on blood sugar I have singled out the food items in my diet which I should avoid.

The list is not long; white bread (wholewheat bread here in Jakarta is hard to find, most of it is just white bread ingredients plus caramel or a little whole wheat to make it brown.)

I have replaced the bread with porridge oats - but the quaker oats I eat are quickcook oatmeal, maybe I should change to a more natural brand of oats.

Also the 4 ounces of white rice, papaya, and bananas are suspect. Strange that in a country that lives on rice there is no brown rice available in the shops.