Thread: About PWO sugar/carbs

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

About PWO sugar/carbs

After my workout I will generally take in a shake with whey/dex along with some white breads or something. If I'm doing this anyway, wouldn't it make just as much sense to enjoy myself a little and eat some sugar cookies and/or soda or something of that nature rather than use up my chance to take in sugar by pouring it into my shake? Is there something wrong about that? Just trying to make some sense of my diet here, thanks.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 05-18-2010 at 04:40 AM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Dave Tate used to yell at me for drinking carb shakes. He told me I should enjoy my post workout carbs. I have never been able to embrace the concept. I would think if you used something like cookies, you would not want any fat in them. Good question, I'll be interested in the responses.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Anytime these questions are posted, the answers will be all over the place. The reason is because to get an accurate answer, you need to state what your goals are. I assume since you are eating white breads, you want to gain weight. I pretty am much in a maintenance phase, so the idea of my PWO shake is to get some fast absorbing carbs and protein in me to spike insulin, carry the protein, and start the recovery process. I use Waxy Maize as the carb. So far it has been pretty good. I try to stay low fat since fat can slow absorbtion. Here is some information I found on another website about it:

**Carbohydrate-containing foods that are composed mainly of glucose molecules (including complex carbohydrates) and that have little fibre, protein or fat in them have a high glycemic index. For example, glucose, malt, bread, potatoes and white rice all have high glycemic indexes and cause a rapid rise in blood glucose and therefore insulin levels when they are consumed on their own. Since they promote the production of insulin, the carbohydrate in them has a greater likelihood of being converted into body fat.

Fibre and protein
    Fibre, particularly soluble fibre, is a component of food that has the effect of slowing down the absorption rate of carbohydrate and therefore lowering its GI. For example, an apple has a much lower GI than apple juice simply because there is fibre in the apple and the apple juice has had its fibre component removed. Fibre has a tendency to ‘dilute’ the carbohydrate, which slows absorption. Protein may have a similar ‘diluting’ effect on carbohydrate.

Fat
    Fat also lowers a food’s glycemic index by slowing down its passage through the gastro-intestinal tract. This slows the absorption rate of carbohydrate. Good examples of this are chocolate and ice-cream. Both of these foods contain a considerable amount of fat along with carbohydrate and both have relatively low glycemic indexes. However, this certainly doesn’t mean you should increase your intake of these foods because both are very ‘calorie dense’ due to the large amounts of fat and sugar contained in them. They are good examples, however, of how fat slows down the absorption rate of carbohydrate.***

In all my research the point behind a PWO shake is to get the nutirents to your body as fast as possible. Adding something like a cookie, would probably have a negative effect. I would keep your PWO shake/ meal pretty clean. You can have the cookies for dessert (if indeed you are trying to bulk up).

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by mike mcgee; 05-18-2010 at 07:38 AM.
    m/37/5'10/194

Back Squat 435lbs
    Shoulder Press 195lbs
    Deadlift 505lbs
    Bench Press 315lb

The posts so far are on the right track...

It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you are trying to gain body weight, pile on the carbs and the calories. If you are trying to remain somewhat lean, yet facilitate nutrient absorption with insulin, I think a moderate amount of carbs from any source that is low in fat will suffice.

If you are health conscious, carbs from sources like fruit, milk, sweet potatoes or other nutrient dense foods maybe a better option.
    Last edited by Raleighwood; 05-18-2010 at 07:58 AM.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Well, but, assuming the "dessert" food of choice is low in fat and is only high in sugar/carbs, wouldn't that be a fine choice after my PWO shake (during PWO meal)? And my goals are to add some muscle mass while remaining lean. My current diet involves eating a good amount of carbs (around 300g) on workout day and having low carbs (70-ish carbs) on off days. It seems to be working out fairly well at the moment, but I'm just trying to make sense of my post-workout carbs.

Thanks for the responses guys, but one thing I'm confused about:

Quote Originally Posted by imxfit View Post
    Fat also lowers a food’s glycemic index by slowing down its passage through the gastro-intestinal tract. This slows the absorption rate of carbohydrate.
    I don't understand which statement is correct, because the other day I was reading on this WBB Opticen article:

Contrary to popular belief, fats in a PWO supplement will not impair the effects of protein and carbohydrate ingestion. To the contrary, studies have shown that a complete meal PWO (to include fats) is the most effective PWO combination possible.
    Linked from: http://atlargenutrition.com/nutritio...?products_id=2

Last edited by fixationdarknes; 05-19-2010 at 09:21 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

im kinda maintaining not really trying to put on any fat for the summer..but still making some slight gains. Anyways i have my post workout shake which is usually apple juice and chocolate protein powder (sometimes some jello mixed in to give it body) i drink that on the way home but when i get home if theirs something good in the house like cake or some cookies i view the first few hours after working out as a prime time to indulge in that stuff....obviously in moderation and then the rest of the day its not so hard to stick to eating boiled plain chicken and spinach...well maybe not that boring.

I wannabebig!
    the majority of carbs you will get from cookies, soda, and the like will most likely be in the form of sucrose/fructose which is not preferred.

on the other hand, if you want to have a meal instead of a shake post workout it really won't make too much of a difference supposing you ate something before your workout... let's say within a couple hours of.

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys, but one thing I'm confused about:

I don't understand which statement is correct, because the other day I was reading on this WBB Opticen article:

Linked from: http://atlargenutrition.com/nutritio...?products_id=2
    I'm really glad you brought that up, because I have been confused about that too. I've been drinking kefir (a cultured milk beverage) mixed with a scoop of whey, 25 gm malto, 15 gm dextrose for my post-workout drink for a while now.

Kefir has fat in it (being milk based) so I have been wondering for a while whether I should cut it out or not. I look forward to others thoughts on the PWO fat question.

Wannabebig Member
    If in a cut and you need to keep the fat burning process going and save all possible muscle, is the benefit more toward fruit and whey post work out or simply whey post work out? My workouts are late at night. Bedtime is about 1 to 2 hrs after work out. Im trying to cut quite a bit of fat and keep what little muscle I have.