The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.

Wearing a discman while you train..

I noticed the music thread below. My only question is, how do you wear headphones, even small ones, and a discman while training? doesn't it feel weird? Most of all, doesn't it get in the way like crazy? I'd be worried about dropping a db on it...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Yea, I hate having extra stuff when I go to the gym. I just bring a towel and lift. Sometimes I get a friend of mine that works at the gym to play a CD on the gym speakers for me. But I really don't like carrying around extra stuff (i.e. CD player, gym bags, etc).
    Obstacles are what you see when you take your mind off the goal.
    -Unknown

Energy and persistence conquer all things.
    -Benjamin Franklin

Wannabebig Member
    I'm using wireless headphones. They're comfortable to wear, and no hustle and bustle with the cords, although I must admit that it sometimes can get a bit hot for the ears inside those headphones, so I tend to take 'em off every once in a while.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    but where do you put your discman? in a pocket.

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    I have cable and a vcr in the garage...

I like to watch action movies while I workout. Especially Arnold movies and Sly movies...
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Wannabebig Member
    My wireless headphones are connected to my computer with a huge mp3 collection of pumpin' beats

Sometimes Ill wear a discman around my waist and listen to music. Use the little headphones that go inside your ears. Seems to get me pretty damn jacked.

MS

so you just clip it there?

Do I just clip what bro? My discman goes in a belt that I bought from a Walmart like store. It has a velcro pouch for a discman. My headphones are little earplugs that go inside my ears.

MS

It's called portable MP3 players bro... check it.

The size of a matchbox, and it clips to your pants. I use earbud headphones. Its never interfered with my workout, and helps boost the intensity.

I never thought of an mp3 player...

Originally posted by Leviathan
    It's called portable MP3 players bro... check it.

The size of a matchbox, and it clips to your pants. I use earbud headphones. Its never interfered with my workout, and helps boost the intensity.
    Yep, this is what I use, except I run the wire down inside the back of my T-shirt and into my hip pocket where the MP3 player sits.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

I think I'm gonna pick one up...

the kid from oz
    minidiscs are better, same size but you can hold 3 cd's to one disc..
    unlike mp3 players which you can fit about 12 songs onto

i bought a sony minidisc player for the gym.

wore it once and decided it was gonna get crushed so easily lol

i am planning on using it for cardio though.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Originally posted by Accipiter
    but where do you put your discman? in a pocket.
    This is what I do.

ND
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Banned
    I use an Mp3 player myself, specifically the k@zoo from RCA. Best $200 I ever spent.

1) it never skips/distorts (like CD/tapes)
    2) it is the size of a pager, yet holds 2+ hours of music
    3) it plays mp3s, so I can be very flexible about my workout music rather than being stuck with the same tunes all the time and/or having to spend the time to create new mix tapes/CDs

the k@zoo actually comes with a neck strap and an arm-band strap, but both look pretty gay in the gym. I've settled for wearing a hip-pouch thingie from Nike, in which I carry my workout log, celphone, postworkout protein and stuff anyway.

The only time it gets in the way is when i do t-bar rows or upright rows, really; for those I either take it off or slide it around to my back instead of on my hip.

I also prefer earbud headphones . . . they block out external sound better and there's no fabric to get all manky with sweat... it kinda felt weird for maybe the first week I had it, and I was very AWARE of the headphones, especially when doing heavy lifts and my blodo pressure was getting up there, leading to a bit of throbbing in the ol' ears full of headphone... but now I don't even notice it, and I just get into this whole other space for an hour when I work out.

Callahan

Thanks callahan, k@zoo eh....

how about you just pop your music into the stereo

Banned
    Originally posted by Reinier
    how about you just pop your music into the stereo
    Not always possible when you work out in a gym where they play the worst kind of popular dancey-poppy-lame crap on the house sound system.

Hence the portable, personal audio.

you got that right...I don't like listening to cheap 80's bubble-gum pop...

Originally posted by bigedge
    minidiscs are better, same size but you can hold 3 cd's to one disc..
    unlike mp3 players which you can fit about 12 songs onto
    I don't know what kind of crappy MP3 players you've seen but mine holds well over an hour of music on internal memory alone. And it can also use memory cards which also hold over an hour of music and are the size of a postage stamp. It's got no moving parts, *cannot* skip, has a built-in FM tuner, shows the title/artist of the song playing (just like MiniDisc), weighs less than a pack of cards, etc, etc, etc. I get more use out of my MP3 player than virtually any other electronic device i own (besides my computer, of course :-) ). My roommate has a MiniDisc player and it's nice, but it's no comparison to a good MP3 player. No matter how much "shock protection" they put on those things, they still skip, and they're still much bigger than any non-HD based MP3 player.

After using both, i would never recommend a MiniDisc player over a decent MP3 player.

I've got a belt that holds my CD player, and I drop the cord down the back of my shirt and connect it so it's not in the way.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

I'd rather have dead silence when I'm lifting.
    how can you concentrate on what your doing with the radio blasting?

Originally posted by Cue-Ball
    I don't know what kind of crappy MP3 players you've seen but mine holds well over an hour of music on internal memory alone. And it can also use memory cards which also hold over an hour of music and are the size of a postage stamp. It's got no moving parts, *cannot* skip, has a built-in FM tuner, shows the title/artist of the song playing (just like MiniDisc), weighs less than a pack of cards, etc, etc, etc. I get more use out of my MP3 player than virtually any other electronic device i own (besides my computer, of course :-) ). My roommate has a MiniDisc player and it's nice, but it's no comparison to a good MP3 player. No matter how much "shock protection" they put on those things, they still skip, and they're still much bigger than any non-HD based MP3 player.
    Which one do you have, how much did you pay for it, and where did you get it?
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine