The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    10

    Help.. Need results.

    I'm new to the board an am looking for a little help seeing results.. I'm 6'3 278lbs, 33yrs old. Most of my body weight is upper body(stomach, etc). I've been weight training regularly since early January and have noticed a nice gain in strength.. While my legs are lean and defined, I'm not seeing the growth/definition results in my arms and chest I expect to. I've been taking creatine for 3 weeks now and take my BCAAs/ Proteins/etc pre and post workout.. In the past I've dieted down(the wrong way) and saw fast results.. Now that I'm weight training and looking for results I don't want to deprive my body again.. Any help on how to see some growth/def especially arms and chest? Thanks in advance.

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Senior Member Coqui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    665
    growth and definition are for the most part, polar opposites. To grow, you need to eat more. To get definition, you need to eat less.

    The main question is how much of that 278 is fat and how much is muscle? Did you just start lifting in January? Or did you just pick it up again?

  4. #3
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
    growth and definition are for the most part, polar opposites. To grow, you need to eat more. To get definition, you need to eat less.

    The main question is how much of that 278 is fat and how much is muscle? Did you just start lifting in January? Or did you just pick it up again?
    I lifted a lot in High School and College(played football). Was dormant for probably 10 years, then in January started hitting it hard again.. I'm not looking to be supercut, don't get me wrong. I just feel for the amount I'm lifting, both weight and regularity, more size and "some more" definition should be visible. Like I said, my legs carry zero fat, seems to be all midsection. Haven't had a body fat analysis.. I want to retain and increase my strength and size, just seems eating the calories(clean) I'm told I "need" to eat, isn't feaseable... Is there a way to cut calories and gain size? I've cycled in the past(college) and I'm not looking to go that route... Just looking for some good advice.

  5. #4
    Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by rdzjr View Post
    I'm new to the board an am looking for a little help seeing results.. I'm 6'3 278lbs, 33yrs old. Most of my body weight is upper body(stomach, etc). I've been weight training regularly since early January and have noticed a nice gain in strength.. While my legs are lean and defined, I'm not seeing the growth/definition results in my arms and chest I expect to. I've been taking creatine for 3 weeks now and take my BCAAs/ Proteins/etc pre and post workout.. In the past I've dieted down(the wrong way) and saw fast results.. Now that I'm weight training and looking for results I don't want to deprive my body again.. Any help on how to see some growth/def especially arms and chest? Thanks in advance.
    Patience and consistency are two of the most important attributes of a successful bodybuilder, powerlifter, etc.

    There could be areas for improvement in your current program, but we first would need to know more about what you are doing right now:

    What is your current training split?
    What does a typical workout look like?
    What are your specific goals?
    What does your diet look like?
    How committed are you to achieving your goals?

    Once I have a bit more information I can try to make some recommendations.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

    Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

    Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

  6. #5
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    10
    I'm commited.. I was splitting body parts, but, patience wore thin, so I'm doing arms, chest, cardio every day and mixing up back shoulders, legs, throughout the week. Sat n Sun off. I definitely need more core, I ignore that too often. Diet is ehhh. I take in decent protein, no caloric drinks, gallon of water a day. I do, however, have the "crappy" meals probably 4 times a week.. I weighed 303 in Jan when I started, lost 30, put on 5 of muscle, which puts me 278.. Kinda stuck there, with gains and weight loss..
    Last edited by rdzjr; 04-27-2010 at 08:27 AM.

  7. #6
    Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by rdzjr View Post
    I'm commited.. I was splitting body parts, but, patience wore thin, so I'm doing arms, chest, cardio every day and mixing up back shoulders, legs, throughout the week. Sat n Sun off. I definitely need more core, I ignore that too often. Diet is ehhh. I take in decent protein, no caloric drinks, gallon of water a day. I do, however, have the "crappy" meals probably 4 times a week.. I weighed 303 in Jan when I started, lost 30, put on 5 of muscle, which puts me 278.. Kinda stuck there, with gains and weight loss..
    it is good to hear that you are dedicated to making changes.

    You are training arms, chest, and cardio everyday? That is not an effective protocol for making progress; if you would like I can write up a custom split for you.

    With regard to your diet I would recommend tracking things a bit more closely. If you are trying to manipulate your bodyweight or body composition you need to know what you are eating. For someone your size I would recommend 250g protein, 250g carbs (quality carbs), and 50-75g fat . This will give you between 2,450 - 2,675calories per day which should allow you to consistently lose weight / bodyfat.

    The type of cardio that you are doing is very important (low intensity steady state or high intensity interval training are best for cutting bodyfat. The type of foods that you are eating are also very important; I would try to focus on high quality protein sources and low glycemic / high fiber carbohydrates (oatmeal, brown rice, broccoli, sweet potatoes, etc.). You also want to eat 'healthy fats' such as avocados, olive oil, EFA's, and almonds.

    Please let me know if you would like for me to help you with your training program.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

    Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

    Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

  8. #7
    LuNa
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tilburg, The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,716
    Quote Originally Posted by rdzjr View Post
    I'm commited.. I was splitting body parts, but, patience wore thin, so I'm doing arms, chest, cardio every day and mixing up back shoulders, legs, throughout the week. Sat n Sun off. I definitely need more core, I ignore that too often. Diet is ehhh. I take in decent protein, no caloric drinks, gallon of water a day. I do, however, have the "crappy" meals probably 4 times a week.. I weighed 303 in Jan when I started, lost 30, put on 5 of muscle, which puts me 278.. Kinda stuck there, with gains and weight loss..
    It will be difficult to help you without more information. What exercises are you doing on those days? How many sets/reps?

    Diet wise, what is decent protein? You should try and find out what amount of calories you take in during the day. Fitday could be helpful.

    Im pretty sure people like Tom will be able to give you some tips already, but if you give more details the help you will get will be more useful.

  9. #8
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by RvNijnatten View Post
    It will be difficult to help you without more information. What exercises are you doing on those days? How many sets/reps?

    Diet wise, what is decent protein? You should try and find out what amount of calories you take in during the day. Fitday could be helpful.

    Im pretty sure people like Tom will be able to give you some tips already, but if you give more details the help you will get will be more useful.
    My training for the timebeing is fairly simple.. I do inclines, standard bench, declines, flies. Arms i do straight bar curls, dumbell curls, one arm curls on the belt machines, skull crushers, one arm tri on belt machine. With the cardio, it's low intensity (hr 128-140) with sprints (hr 150-162) every 4 minutes for a minute and half.. I know the regimine isn't ideal, any help would be great.. Diet, I find it hard to get that much protein, any suggestions or possible "diet" samples. (I can't do sweet potatoes, lol).. I had an aggravated rotator cuff, so certain exercises are difficult right now(I'm rehabbing that). I bench 185 1x10, 225 1x10, 245 1x8, 275 1x3.. Curl (straight bar) 75 1x10, 85 1x10, 100 1x8.. I also do shrugs every day(m-f), lol.. I'm being as patient as I can, I also really need to get some core/ab training in, I just have a mental block that I need to lose weight before I work that region( I know it's wrong)... Any other info needed?

  10. #9
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by rdzjr View Post
    My training for the timebeing is fairly simple.. I do inclines, standard bench, declines, flies. Arms i do straight bar curls, dumbell curls, one arm curls on the belt machines, skull crushers, one arm tri on belt machine. With the cardio, it's low intensity (hr 128-140) with sprints (hr 150-162) every 4 minutes for a minute and half.. I know the regimine isn't ideal, any help would be great.. Diet, I find it hard to get that much protein, any suggestions or possible "diet" samples. (I can't do sweet potatoes, lol).. I had an aggravated rotator cuff, so certain exercises are difficult right now(I'm rehabbing that). I bench 185 1x10, 225 1x10, 245 1x8, 275 1x3.. Curl (straight bar) 75 1x10, 85 1x10, 100 1x8.. I also do shrugs every day(m-f), lol.. I'm being as patient as I can, I also really need to get some core/ab training in, I just have a mental block that I need to lose weight before I work that region( I know it's wrong)... Any other info needed?
    As far as goals. . I'd like to get to 245-250 with nice muscle mass, decent definition. I had looked into the asteroid stack by usp but really need to iron out diet and workout regimine before I invest.. If it's worth it.. Also- are there any other items I can/should add to the creatine? maybe some nitric? or am I going the wrong route with that entirely?
    Last edited by rdzjr; 04-28-2010 at 07:09 AM.

  11. #10
    Senior Member Coqui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    665
    Quote Originally Posted by rdzjr View Post
    My training for the timebeing is fairly simple.. I do inclines, standard bench, declines, flies. Arms i do straight bar curls, dumbell curls, one arm curls on the belt machines, skull crushers, one arm tri on belt machine. With the cardio, it's low intensity (hr 128-140) with sprints (hr 150-162) every 4 minutes for a minute and half.. I know the regimine isn't ideal, any help would be great.. Diet, I find it hard to get that much protein, any suggestions or possible "diet" samples. (I can't do sweet potatoes, lol).. I had an aggravated rotator cuff, so certain exercises are difficult right now(I'm rehabbing that). I bench 185 1x10, 225 1x10, 245 1x8, 275 1x3.. Curl (straight bar) 75 1x10, 85 1x10, 100 1x8.. I also do shrugs every day(m-f), lol.. I'm being as patient as I can, I also really need to get some core/ab training in, I just have a mental block that I need to lose weight before I work that region( I know it's wrong)... Any other info needed?
    Have you looked at or attempted Starting Strength, Bill Starr's 5X5, or any other workout that's been posted in here ad nauseum? These are all very good routines to gain or maintain strength while cutting.

    Regarding your diet, why can't you get much protein? A single chicken breast contains 36g of protein (and that's if you only eat a 6oz breast) Peanuts (or any other nuts/legumes) are high protein, fish is high protein, eggs are high protein. There's lots of sources of protein out there (unless you're vegetarian, in that case there's still options, just not as much)

  12. #11
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
    Have you looked at or attempted Starting Strength, Bill Starr's 5X5, or any other workout that's been posted in here ad nauseum? These are all very good routines to gain or maintain strength while cutting.

    Regarding your diet, why can't you get much protein? A single chicken breast contains 36g of protein (and that's if you only eat a 6oz breast) Peanuts (or any other nuts/legumes) are high protein, fish is high protein, eggs are high protein. There's lots of sources of protein out there (unless you're vegetarian, in that case there's still options, just not as much)
    Not really that it's hard to get the protein so much, just need to design a menu, so to speak, to get it all in.. I'll check out those workouts now..

  13. #12
    Senior Member tnathletics2b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    545
    Quote Originally Posted by rdzjr View Post
    My training for the timebeing is fairly simple.. I do inclines, standard bench, declines, flies. Arms i do straight bar curls, dumbell curls, one arm curls on the belt machines, skull crushers, one arm tri on belt machine. With the cardio, it's low intensity (hr 128-140) with sprints (hr 150-162) every 4 minutes for a minute and half.. I know the regimine isn't ideal, any help would be great.. Diet, I find it hard to get that much protein, any suggestions or possible "diet" samples. (I can't do sweet potatoes, lol).. I had an aggravated rotator cuff, so certain exercises are difficult right now(I'm rehabbing that). I bench 185 1x10, 225 1x10, 245 1x8, 275 1x3.. Curl (straight bar) 75 1x10, 85 1x10, 100 1x8.. I also do shrugs every day(m-f), lol.. I'm being as patient as I can, I also really need to get some core/ab training in, I just have a mental block that I need to lose weight before I work that region( I know it's wrong)... Any other info needed?
    So, from your post above, an example week looks like this...

    Monday- Chest
    -Incline Bench
    -Flat Bench
    -Decline Bench
    -Flyes
    -Shrugs

    Tuesday- Arms
    -Straight curls
    -D/B curls
    -One arm curls
    -Skullcrushers
    -One arm Triceps
    -Shrugs

    Wednesday-?
    -Shrugs

    Thursdays-?
    -Shrugs

    Friday-?
    -Shrugs

    This is not a routine at all- just some bro exercises. Look up a routine on here and use it and never do this one again.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

    Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

  14. #13
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    10
    Hence me asking for help/suggestions.. I do those exercises everyday, not split like you stated it. I know that's not the way to go. I never said "Here's the right way to do it".. Looking for a point in the right direction.. I checked out the Starr 5x5..
    Last edited by rdzjr; 04-28-2010 at 08:25 AM.

  15. #14
    Moderator Off Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,887
    You're in luck, WBB will be bringing out a brand new routine in a couple of weeks. There will be a whole bunch of people using it. You can join in and progress right along with them. It should be a good one and just what you are looking for.

    For the next couple of weeks you can get ready for it. Read Daniel Roberts' articles on Nutrition and become consistent with your diet, Start a good stretching program, Work on your squat and deadlift and bench press form, and Work on your conditioning with some sled pulling or sprints or fast walking a couple of times a week.
    _________
    ______
    ___

    Off Road Journal

    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  16. #15
    Senior Member tnathletics2b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    545
    Quote Originally Posted by rdzjr View Post
    Hence me asking for help/suggestions.. I do those exercises everyday, not split like you stated it. I know that's not the way to go. I never said "Here's the right way to do it".. Looking for a point in the right direction.. I checked out the Starr 5x5..
    Did not mean to come across as harsh...

    How about this:

    As far as working out goes, this is way too much volume and focus on the upper body, especially doing them everyday. This is the reason you have not seen any difference in your body- you are way overworking! 3 times a week is plenty, and if you have a goal of losing weight, I would continue the interval cardio on off days and get on a good diet plan, like the one Tom mentioned. I know you said your legs "look" fine, but you need to work them out as well to stimulate overall body growth. I would look at the routines mentioned on here a lot, WBB 1.1, Starting Strength, 5/3/1, etc. and see which ones fit you the best. I have personally done SS and 5/3/1 and liked both, but they have a powerlifting focus. If that isn't your goal, I would check out WBB 1.1 for a premade plan.

    Proper workout plans might have full body workouts twice a week, upperbody/lowerbody days, body part splits, etc., but would never include the same exercises for 5 straight days. For a long time I followed my own plan of back/bi's on Monday with deadlift focus, chest/tri's/shoulders on Wednesday with a bench focus and legs/quads on Friday with a squat focus and had good results. I plateaued, so I switched to starting strength then moved on to 5/3/1.

    Does that answer your question better?
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

    Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

  17. #16
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    10
    No, not harsh at all. I realize my "program" is crap.. I do appreciate the insightful replies, hopefully I can impliment one of these plans and see some quality results.. Am I good with the creatine/whey protein/bcaas? Or should I add something else? Delete something?

    Also, I do legs, but not enough, I squat 225 1x10 315 1x10 405 1x10 455 1x5, when I do them, along with presses, extensions..
    Last edited by rdzjr; 04-28-2010 at 09:01 AM.

  18. #17
    Iron Junkie
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    39
    First of all, make sure you're training back and legs at least once per week each. Since they make up about 2/3 of your overall body mass, it is impossible to make any serious gains without training both. Training back has two additional advantages as well: almost every back exercise (chins, rows, deadlifts, etc.) works the biceps intensely and a well developed upper back frames in the chest and pushes the shoulders out, making the entire upper body more massive. As training chest and arms; try working them out once per week and on separate days. If you feel that's not enough then train both muscle groups twice per week but no more. Training any muscle group everyday will result in over training, grinding all your progress to a halt.
    Weaves
    Iron Junkie - Go Hard Or Go Home

  19. #18
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaves View Post
    First of all, make sure you're training back and legs at least once per week each. Since they make up about 2/3 of your overall body mass, it is impossible to make any serious gains without training both. Training back has two additional advantages as well: almost every back exercise (chins, rows, deadlifts, etc.) works the biceps intensely and a well developed upper back frames in the chest and pushes the shoulders out, making the entire upper body more massive. As training chest and arms; try working them out once per week and on separate days. If you feel that's not enough then train both muscle groups twice per week but no more. Training any muscle group everyday will result in over training, grinding all your progress to a halt.
    Thanks, I'm gonna straighten my workout out.. What are the best back exercises? I'm still at the point where chin-ups need to be aided, can't rep them unassisted.. I'm gonna head into the FAQ section, don't wanna keep clogging up the forum with "dumb" questions...

  20. #19
    Senior Member tnathletics2b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    545
    Quote Originally Posted by rdzjr View Post
    Thanks, I'm gonna straighten my workout out.. What are the best back exercises? I'm still at the point where chin-ups need to be aided, can't rep them unassisted.. I'm gonna head into the FAQ section, don't wanna keep clogging up the forum with "dumb" questions...
    Good idea

    But, to answer your question, the "best" overall back exercises are deadlifts, chins, and rows. Someone may have a specific need or specific goal in mind and may need to do something else, but overall, those hit your back the best.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

    Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

  21. #20
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by tnathletics2b View Post
    Good idea

    But, to answer your question, the "best" overall back exercises are deadlifts, chins, and rows. Someone may have a specific need or specific goal in mind and may need to do something else, but overall, those hit your back the best.
    Thanks, I checked out the WBB 1. I'll hop on that starting Monday and finish this week light, with proper rest.. You guys have been very helpful.. I'll post results when they come, lol.

  22. #21
    Senior Member tnathletics2b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    545
    Quote Originally Posted by rdzjr View Post
    Thanks, I checked out the WBB 1. I'll hop on that starting Monday and finish this week light, with proper rest.. You guys have been very helpful.. I'll post results when they come, lol.
    Post a journal in the journal part of the message boards so people can check in on ya. Helps keep me motivated!
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

    Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

Similar Threads

  1. Ss results
    By Aaron72 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-31-2009, 02:44 PM
  2. Results
    By chris mason in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-02-2008, 12:19 PM
  3. RESULTS results thread
    By KingWilder in forum AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Replies: 754
    Last Post: 05-18-2008, 01:40 PM
  4. RESULTS Results thread?
    By txmike1 in forum AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-06-2008, 04:30 PM
  5. Hmm... maybe using RESULTS would get me better results....
    By WBBIRL in forum Members' Pics and Videos
    Replies: 115
    Last Post: 02-28-2008, 12:57 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •