The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

A simple method of progression

I've been getting some questions on how to use progression, so I thought I'd lay a simple plan out for you guys. We will look at the 3 x 5 squat for example...

You want to start with a very light weight. The first cycle will have you figure out what your 3 x 5 max weight is. Let's say you squat on Mondays. The first Monday you would do a 3 x 5 squat with 100 lbs (adjust according to your strength). The next Monday you would add 10 lbs, you'll be using 110 lbs for the 3 x 5. Keep adding 10 lbs every single Monday until you fail to get all 3 x 5. This is your starting max weight for 3 x 5 squats, let's just assume it was 200 lbs. That took you 10 weeks to get there.

Now you are ready for your second cycle. You want the cycle to be around 12 weeks long, so count backwards to find your new starting weight. Your goal is to be at your 3 x 5 max weight at around week 8 and breaking PRs after that. This is what it will look like:

Week 1: 130 lbs.
    Week 2: 140 lbs.
    Week 3: 150 lbs.
    Week 4: 160 lbs.
    Week 5: 170 lbs.
    Week 6: 180 lbs
    Week 7: 190 lbs
    Week 8: 200 lbs
    Week 9: 210 lbs (new PR)
    Week 10: 215 lbs
    Week 11: 220 lbs
    Week 12: 225 lbs

You can see how the progression gets smaller as you enter new PR territory. Once you get to the new poundage, you want to milk it. You could even stretch the cycle out several more weeks by adding as little as a pound.

This is a very simple progression scheme, easy to set up, and a nice way to track progress.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Thanks for the info. It's helpful to understand stuff like this.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

This is good since it is something most people tend to overlook. Everyone lists exercises and sets and reps, but many fail to have a progress plan. A progession plan is more important than your sets and reps really. I also like how you started everything light and worked up from there. Many new trainees don't realize that you can't start a progression like this with your absolute max at that particular rep range.

Exactly. The guys contacting me all want to start too heavy. They wonder why their cycles only last a couple of weeks and they can't increase their PRs. The simple answer is that they didn't build any momentum.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!