The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Well, here are some of my comments, interspersed with the comments some posted by Delphi. His comments provide a good context for my own experiences. Everyone is gonna react to things a bit differently.

Originally posted by Delphi

2) Consider doing weekly cycling instead of the 2-week cycles. The first 3 workouts of each cycle are a blow-off, unless you like doing Super Slow workouts.
    Now, if you're using big weight increments, the first 2 sessions are going to be VERY easy. But if you slow down your cadence(You don't need to go anywhere near SuperSlow, though), and really focus on feeling every fiber in your muscle contract, rather than just moving the weight, I think you can make them slightly difficult. The thing is, you really have to focus. I'd definitely NOT consider these blow-off workouts. Workout 3 was generally my favorite, because although the weight was starting to get heavy, it was still light enough that I could really focus on feeling the muscle being worked and not just lifting the stupid thing.

3) Only do one set of each exercise, especially during the second week of each cycle.
    I'd say do just one set throughout. The only place I might alter this, due to my experiences, is in the 5's(I didn't feel I was quite getting the stimulatino I was in higher rep ranges.) In the 15s and 10s, the reps are high enough IMO that even though the weights will be submaximal, if you're focused and slow down your cadences, some exercises are going to be fairly difficult anyways.

4) Consider dropping any isolation exercises (except calf work) during the 5rep cycle.
    Again, I originally had thought I'd drop volume once I got to the 5s but I was feeling a bit understimulated so I actually really liked having the extra isolation work since it provided a bit more volume.

6) Consider NOT doing the negatives cycle. Just start over.
    I'm still not decided myself on whether the negatives are worthwhile or not.

7) I also doubt the use of Strategic Deconditioning. If you're not working to failure, then there's no reason to lay off, IMO.
    I know you probably zeroed in on this, thinking "Hey, he says it's okay to skip deconditioning." since that's what you want to hear, but you've been going to failure at every workout. I'm sure your CNS is fried. Take a week off. This week, test your maxes. Get a feel for the exercises you're gonna use. Maybe some don't work the way you'd envisioned. Then take a week off, do so more reading, reevaluate things to see whether there are any minor adjustments you want to make, and come back with some fire in your belly. I really think the week off, which I couldn't bring myself to do on my own, made a huge difference.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 05-07-2002 at 07:39 AM.

Now, if you're using big weight increments, the first 2 sessions are going to be VERY easy. But if you slow down your cadence(You don't need to go anywhere near SuperSlow, though), and really focus on feeling every fiber in your muscle contract, rather than just moving the weight, I think you can make them slightly difficult. The thing is, you really have to focus. I'd definitely NOT consider these blow-off workouts. Workout 3 was generally my favorite, because although the weight was starting to get heavy, it was still light enough that I could really focus on feeling the muscle being worked and not just lifting the stupid thing.
    Completely agree with B&I on this one.
    Failure is a privelage reserved for those who do not try hard enough

MS - Here is the thing about guessing or using a calculator to establish your maxes: If your 15RM is off by 25-50lbs, and you are using 5-10lb increments, you will be working at failure from the get-go, and you will overtrain and have joint pain real fast. If you are not going to listen to me, and you are going to try a 15RM of 330lbs on the squat, make sure that you use 20lb incrfements, so that you can back off as soon as the weight starts getting too heavy.

You can't screw with this stuff. The max finding workouts are fun! You get to push yourself really hard. The deconditioning is harder psychologically, but you will have a desire to workout like you wouldn't believe. When was the last time you took a week off anyway?

Originally posted by Blood&Iron

I know you probably zeroed in on this, thinking "Hey, he says it's okay to skip deconditioning." since that's what you want to hear, but you've been going to failure at every workout. I'm sure your CNS is fried. Take a week off. This week, test your maxes. Get a feel for the exercises you're gonna use. Maybe some don't work the way you'd envisioned. Then take a week off, do so more reading, reevaluate things to see whether there are any minor adjustments you want to make, and come back with some fire in your belly. I really think the week off, which I couldn't bring myself to do on my own, made a huge difference.
    Monstar- I share a similar opinion as B&I. I noticed that you said ,you had calculated your RM's based on Epley formula. I calculated both my theoretical weights using the forumla and actually tested my RM's. I found that the values of theoretical and actually calculated were very close for 10,5 RM's. However my 15RM's were not that close, and I found the second week of the 15RM's to be the hardest so far. Think about it once more and read again about deconditioning. Good luck.
    Last edited by thalapathi; 05-07-2002 at 10:07 AM.

I agree with those two above- don't rely on the calculators. If there's an error in the calculation it's going to be too high. That's what killed your HST experiment last time. If anything, err on the side of using too little weight, not too much. Some of the posters on the HST forum are saying that you can even intentionally only go to 95% of your repmaxes.

jock-
    Yeah man here is the formula, (1 +(0.033*Reps)) * Weight / (1 +(0.033*TargetReps)). Seems pretty close to what my max would be. Excellent formula in my personal opinion.

=w=-
    Thanks a lot man I really appreciate your support, really means a lot. My current goals are to increase strength / size / development, and a bit of fat-loss. Yeah hypertrophy is definitely something else that I have in mind.

Blood&Iron-
    Awesome suggestions man, thanks a lot. The majority of the things that you said I already do. Like focusing a lot more on the weight and the exercise rather than just going through the motions. Great post dude seriously.

MarshallPenn-
    Definitely man, great point. I totally agree. If my estimated maxes are off it could f*ck up my workouts. Today was my first workout with 15s and I really liked it. Some weights felt a tad heavy but nothing too big of a deal. 330 lbs. for 15 reps on squats is going to be a b*tch! I am doing 15 lbs. increments not 20 by the way. Felt good.

thalapathi-
    Yeah thats kind of what I am thinking man. I cant decide yet. Today my first workout with 15s felt kind of tough. I mean nothing like extreme nowhere near failure. Ill see how things go the next 2 workouts. My 15RMs were really high to be honest. 185 lbs. for 15 reps on flat BB presses. That seems like quite a lot. Well see.. thanks for the reply.

Delphi-
    Really? Only 95% of your rep maxes huh? Thats very very interesting, I never would have guessed that. I am probably going to end up lowering the 15s. Everything else seems pretty close except for the 15s.

MS

Micky, even if this another journal, at least people are learning from all this.

By the way, i lent my sister's boyfriend NHE and he's been trying the diet for about 2-3 weeks now. He's lost a sh*t load of weight and is really looking skinny. His stomach used to be quite distended and now he's starting to see his top two abs. I gotta hand it to you, if it wasn't for your 120 threads on NHE i wouldn't have been compelled to buy the fooker. Excellent book.

Good luck with this program
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

The_Chicken_Daddy-
    Thanks a lot man, what an awesome post. Really made me feel like all I have done was worthwhile. I know that you guys gotta get pissed off when I change my program after only a few weeks. I mean maybe its stupid etc. But overall the past year or so I have made awesome strength gains. I mean size - I dont know how much of a difference there is. Just because I have been in a caloric deficient a lot of the time. Right now I want to drop the last of the fat, and just up my size, strength and muscular development.

MS

Monstar - good to see that you are lowering some of the maxes. I still don't understand why you wouldn't just do them ahead of time. Can you explain if you feel like it?

Of all of them, 330lbs for 15 on the squat seems insane to me!

I'm really concerned with 2 things, 1 being that you stick to HST for at least a whole cycle and 2) that you actually make some gains. No point in doing it if you do it in a way that stops gains from coming. I also think I would eat a little more on HST, your call, but it seems to burn cals like crazy.

MP
    Last edited by MarshallPenn; 05-07-2002 at 05:59 PM.

MarshallPenn-
    I kind of started HST all of the sudden, didnt really plan it out enough to find my rep maxes. Kind of a stupid reason I know but oh well. My 2nd HST cycle Ill have all my maxes set from this cycle so everything should be fine with them. Yeah man definitely, 330 lbs. on squats for 15 will be tough. I am definitely confident that Ill make it though, no doubt. It may take some big time focus and intensity - but I have faith in my squat strength. 370 for 10.5 definitely wasnt easy, but I did it.

I too am concerned with that. I need you guys' support to help me stick it out on HST for at least one cycle, and hopefully two or three. Yeah thats something interesting that I have been reading about; people's BMR increasing while on HST. Thats something that seems very beneficial to me.

... By the way I am going to have a 4-5 hour cheat every 2 weeks now instead of one. Gotta have a shredded body for a Speedo..

MS
    Last edited by MonStar; 05-07-2002 at 06:03 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    I started HST using actual RM's and found that due to never having done multiple sets with high reps (over 12) that even from the beginning I had trouble with the second set. I just continued and done the second set to failure. Just started 10's. They appear easy because they're in a rep range I'm accustom to. My 15RM on bench was 175. Second set of 15 didn't happen. Failed at 10.

Monstar - I pulled a you over the weekend and just ate like a maniac... nothing like you do though. I actually felt and looked leaner after I think. Weird. I've noticed taht before too.

I can eat a lot on HST without any problem, more so my first cycle when I had the larger increments and the zig-zagging-- those are key IMO!!!

Derail-
    Thanks a lot for the post man, welcome to WBB. Anyway yeah I am only doing one single set per exercise, I have tried two before but didnt care for it at all. Good luck with your HST man, how have the 15 weeks been? Everything going as planned? Strength/size up at all?

MarshallPenn-
    There ya go man, eat like a maniac! Make it fun too, crazy though that you didnt feel completely flabby and soft the next day. Yeah man my increments are almost all 10+ lbs. only a few are 5 lbs. Some are 15 lbs. Generally the heavier the exercise, i.e. - squats & rack pulls, the bigger the weight increments.

MS

Good luck with the new journal. I know what you mean by the feeling flabby and soft after a cheat day, I feel the way too, my lower stomach is like that for a day or two afterwards. But if I also drink a lot of alcohol that dehydrates me, the same day I have a cheat day, I don't have the flabby feeling and look.
    Last edited by CBates; 05-07-2002 at 07:50 PM.

CBates-
    Thanks a lot man for the support, definitely appreciate it. Yeah man I feel so f*cking fat and soft today its unbelievable. I feel like I can pinch the biggest handful on my stomach, so pathetic. Going to be tanning for the next month and its a shame to be tan with a fat soft gut.

MS

(check out description of my diet by clicking here, check out a description of my supplements by clicking here, check out a description of my HST training by clicking here, and finally check out view my cycle 1 rep maxes by clicking here)

HST Cycle 1 | Microcycle 1 | Day 2
    Wednesday, May 8, 2002

Cardio.
    • ----------------------------------------------------------------
      Before Meal 1: 20 minutes stationery bike; alternating level 6 with level 8.

After Meal 2: 20 minutes treadmill; 3.5 MPH @ a 15% incline.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------

Diet. Isocaloric Day.
      Meal 1: Myoplex Low-carb MRP + 1 cup skim milk + 2 slices whole-wheat bread + 1 tbsp. low-fat butter
      (500 calories, 63g protein, 39g carbs, 12g fat)

Meal 2: 2 servings protein + 1 cup skim milk + 1 oz. peanuts
      (520 calories, 71g protein, 28g carbs, 16g fat)

Meal 3: 1 slice whole-wheat bread + 2 tbsp. peanut butter + 1 & 1/2 cups skim milk
      (350 calories, 23g protein, 34g carbs, 17g fat)

Meal 4: 2 slices whole-wheat bread + smoked ham + 2 slices low-fat cheese + 1 tbsp. sandwich spread
      (310 calories, 27g protein, 24g carbs, 13g fat)

Meal 5: Powerbar Pria bar
      (110 calories, 5g protein, 16g carbs, 3g fat)

Meal 6: 2 cups skim milk + 1 bag pistachios
      (370 calories, 21g protein, 38g carbs, 10g fat)

Diet Totals.
      Total Calories: 2160
      Total (g) Protein: 210g - 38%
      Total (g) Carbs: 179g - 33%
      Total (g) Fat: 71g - 29%

Overall Comments.
      Feel pretty good so far today. I am sun burnt! Big time went tanning yesterday and damn I am toasted as f*ck. I have a month unlimited so Ill be dark as sh*t by next week. Overall today, I felt sunburnt. Hehe being completely burnt in my back and hips and stomach really prevented me from feeling fat or anything like that. Felt burnt as sh*t, I could barely sit in a seat. Really aching in my back hehe. Little too much time in the tanning bed obviously.

Pain/Soreness.
      Wasnt really sore today at all, felt good. HST never really gives me too much soreness.

Sleep.
      6.5 hours sleep last night. tuttuttuttut Same mistake as yesterday. Pissed me off a little, just need to concentrate from now on on getting 7+ hours.

Supplements.
      Precardio: 5cc Liquid Clenbutrx + 5g glutamine + 500 mg. ALA

With Meal 1: multi-vitamin/mineral + 1g vitamin C + 400 IU vitamin E + 1 Calcium Complete

With Meal 2: 1g vitamin C + 400 IU vitamin E + 1 Calcium Complete + 1 Adrenalin

With Meal 3: multi-vitamin/mineral + 1g vitamin C + 400 IU vitamin E + 1 Calcium Complete + 1 Adrenalin

Before Bed: 6 mg. melatonin + 5g glutamine

Dropped the 50 mg. of zinc from my daily supplements. I get some zinc in my multi-vitamin/mineral and I am tired of feeling like I am going to vommit every single morning after I take it. Really getting sick of the puke feeling real fast. I take it with a good amount of food and I still feel like I am going to puke. Completely throwing it away.

Training.
      Rest.

Training Length.
      Didnt workout today.

Water.
      Pretty good amount of water I think, maybe need more tomorrow. I am sweating buckets in the tanning bed to extra water should help.

Weight.
      Today, precardio, without shoes but with clothes, I weighed 202.5 lbs. Down around 6 lbs. from yesterday which is always a good thing.
    Last edited by MonStar; 05-30-2002 at 09:13 AM.

Originally posted by MonStar
    Dropped the 50 mg. of zinc from my daily supplements. I get some zinc in my multi-vitamin/mineral and I am tired of feeling like I am going to vommit every single morning after I take it. Really getting sick of the puke feeling real fast. I take it with a good amount of food and I still feel like I am going to puke. Completely throwing it away.
    hehe .... I made the mistake of taking 100 mg of Zinc the other night after a fairly light meal and ended up throwing it all up shortly thereafter. I will usually take 50 mg every other day or so but for some odd reason I felt like taking 100 mg that night.

Future Mr Olympia
    what is a rack pull
    The best inspiration is not to outdo others, but to outdo ourselves - Anonymous

partial deadlift in the powercage off the pins

Sleep.
      6.5 hours sleep last night. tuttuttuttut Same mistake as yesterday. Pissed me off a little, just need to concentrate from now on on getting 7+ hours.
    Don't you hate when that sh!t happens?? I had to skip my workout today because I only got 3 hours of sleep last night, I wasn't about to attempt to workout with that much sleep, hoping to get some good sleep tonight and make up for my miss workout tomorrow.

Fart Barker-
    Yeah man I know exactly how you feel! I have the puke feeling from zinc. Seriously I have felt like I was going to vommit so many times I dont even care how many benefits it has - I am never taking it again. I take it with a big 500 calorie meal and I still feel like I am going to puke all over the f*cking place. Tired of that sh*t.

AMP 33-
    Basically a rack pull, like Fart Barker said, is a partial deadlift in the power rack. I do them from right around knee level / top of my shins. Hits traps and grip hard.

CBates-
    Yeah man anything to do with sleep f*cking pisses me off. Because sometimes the night before I am just not tired so I dont lay down and then I realize how late it is and I am like F*CK I am only gonna get 6 hours sleep. I try to shoot for 7+ hours every single night. Workouts suffer big time when I dont get enough.

MS

How long did you go in for to burn yourself this badly? Dude, you do not want to mess with that sh*t... trust me. The whole point of using the beds/booths is NOT to burn yourself. I used to tan like crazy, now if I feel the need again, I'm going to check out the creams -- everyone seems to say they work really well now and will get you darker. No f*cking with skin cancer any more for me.

Be careful!

MP

MarshallPenn-
    Yeah I am only tanning for a month or so. Not any longer. I went 20 minutes. Got pretty burnt. Aching but I am not red, I am dark so its all good. Yeah the sunless tanning creams work pretty good for keeping your color. I just wanted to get a dark base tan so this summer I can just maintain it at the beach. It was pretty cheap something like $49 for a month unlimited. Also kind of for Prom tomorrow night. Dont wanna look pale in my tux..

MS

... Something else I forgot to mention, I completely forgot how much a dark tan can do for definition! Crazy sh*t.

MS

MS - You're supposed to go about 6-8 minutes your first visit! Didn't anyone tell you that? Remember - 1 burn is all it takes. Yeah - the definition comes out nicely with a tan.

By the way - go see Spiderman.