The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Carb rotation on Starting strength?

I've finally seriously gone on starting strength and I've been working on it for 3 weeks now. My squat has already improved 15 kgs, which considering that I had already been doing lifting before, isn't that bad. I've also been doing cardio 2 times a week (in between the lifting days). It's not really intense cardio, just 15 minutes of running which is pretty easy for me since I used to do some non-professional running before.
    My goal is, obviously, to put on as much muscle as possible and as little fat as possible. So I've looked into carb cycling, but carb cycling operates on a 3-day cycle (high carb, low carb, 'zero' carb) which doesn't fit into the SS program. Has anyone had success with diets that optimize your carb intake yet still fit in with something like SS? Should that kind of thing be done at all? And what kind of calorie intake split should I be going for?
    There is no such thing as “firming and toning.” There is only stronger and weaker.
    -- Mark Rippetoe

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Couldn't you change the carb cycle to fit your SS needs?
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Wannabebig Member
    That's basically what I'm asking: how?
    There is no such thing as “firming and toning.” There is only stronger and weaker.
    -- Mark Rippetoe

I guess you could try something like this...
    If you train in the evening with SS on Monday/Wed/Friday

Monday/Wed/Friday - High Carb Gives you a chance to load up before training.

Tuesday/Thursday - Moderate/Low/No - experiment with these to find what works best for you.

Sat/Sun Same thing Experiment with Moderate/Low and No carb days.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Mark linked me these articles a little while ago:

Part 1: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par30.htm
    Part 2: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par32.htm

Read them both.

What I've been doing which seems to be working well is basically what Pete suggested. Mon/Wed/Fri (training days) are high carb, and Tues/Thurs/Sat are low carb days. Sunday is low carb as well but I kind of have a cheating meal in there, I still don't go too high though.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 04-25-2010 at 11:50 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the help/links guys (and sorry for the late reply, my internet had been down)
    -- Mark Rippetoe

HI alin,

Check out this article - Carb Rotation - An In-depth Guide to Personalizing Your Diet It covers how to set up carb cycling and also how to fit it around your training program.

I'm not actually that familiar with the training split and nutrition guidance for Starting Strength but essentially it's no different to any hypertrophy/strength training program in that you're going to be pushing yourself very hard on training days, allowing your body to rest on off days and and will need calories to support you in making progression, particularly on training days.

Shelby has been helping me with my diet and we've been carb cycling and essentially I have my high carb days on training days which means I can have a constant supply of carbs thorghout the day and a good pre and post workout carb fix. Most carb cycling plans will have you on 3-4 high carb days if your main goal is to gain weight and perhaps only 2 if you're wanting to put on weight slowly with minimal fat gain.

Starting Strength is 3 days per week, so start off with 3 high carb days and have them for your training days and med and low for off days. If you are putitng on weight too quickly, you may want to do 2 high and 1 med for your training days.

Let us know how you get on.,
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Wannabebig Member
    Hmmm thanks. Yeah the main point I was having some doubts with was if it was ok to move directly from a low carb day to a high carb day, since most articles I had seen 'padded' each low carb day with a medium carb day. I was also wondering if anybody went low-carb 4 days a week.

Right now I'm doing 3 low carb days, 1 medium carb day (saturday), and 3 high carb days. My high carb day is 300-400 grams, my medium carb day is about 100-200 grams and my low carb day is less than 50 grams of carbs. Does this sound ok? According to the article it should be good. I'm a pretty small guy at 165lbs, just for a frame of reference.
    Last edited by alin; 04-28-2010 at 10:48 PM.
    -- Mark Rippetoe

Banned
    I also have high carb days on teaching days which entails I can have a unchanging provider of carbs throughout the day and a good pre and mail workout carb fix. Most carb biking designs will have you on 3-4 high carb days if your major aim is to gain heaviness and possibly only 2 if you're liking to put on heaviness gradually with negligible fat gain.

I never had a problem with going from high to low and many plans I see have it like this - just set it up for how you train.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal