The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why powerlifting over BB?

Just wondering your reasons on why you chose this route?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

BB ... to look good nakid.

I don't compete so I don't lift for strictly strength gains.

Bodybuilders wanna look strong, I'd rather be strong.

Basically I wanted to compete in something, and I'm not down with the whole self conscious mental game I'd have to put up with for bodybuilding. If I'm going to worry about something, I'd rather it be my total vs. my bodyfat percentage or my lagging bis.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Wannabebig Member
    This is how: When I was a kid, I was always told I was too skinny. If people picked on me, I would throw them down the bleachers, strangle them, or whatever it took. There was a mechanic at the bike shop I hung out at as a younger man. He picked the front end of an extended fork chopper up and put it down about five feet away. He was a small dude. I was amazed. He said he was a flyweight powerlifting champ in prison. I decided I could be small and strong at the same time. Two years ago, I began when my first son was born. With good advice from Gerry Frank, Devin Cagnalotti, Buddy and Beverly McKee, Brandon Bankston, and Louie Simmons; I plan to be really strong pound for pound in the next few years.
    This is why: The biggest reason would be to get stronger, not just physically either.

I'm not crazy about the ridiculous dieting necessary. I'm not crazy about slathering my body with wood stain, I mean fake tan lotion. I not crazy about getting dehydrated and going into full body cramps while "posing". I'm not crazy about getting into a banana hammock and flexing my muscles for a bunch of other dudes.
    I also don't like the subjectivity in judging. At least with powerlifting it's relatively straight forward. I either make the lift or I don't.
    In all seriousness, I have tremendous respect for bodybuilders who put in all that time and energy in preparation and have the guts to actually get on stage and compete. It's just not my thing.
    Last edited by Sean S; 05-03-2010 at 10:57 AM.

I like to continuously lift heavier weight. I hate to diet. I don't want to look like a bodybuilder.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I'd rather eat what I want and just move big weights. I know bodybuilders are/can be strong, too, but my strength has translated so well to things I need to get done- when I moved to my house, cutting down, chopping, and splitting 3 maple trees in my back yard, etc. It is nice to be strong - relatively, of course
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

I saw a shirt that said: "I'd rather be fat and STRONG AS HELL, than skinny and weak". that pretty much sums it up for me.

Here it is. http://images2.cafepress.com/product...r-Charcoal.jpg
    Last edited by Nicky; 05-03-2010 at 12:23 PM.
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

simple, I prefer sports with objective goals.

Plus I like lifting heavy weights and its a decent enough substitute for rugby.

I don't powerlift, but I don't body build either. When I lift weights, I stick with Olympic Lifts (Cleans, Squats, Dead Lifts), etc... Bodybuilders are worried about how they look and symmetry. I worry about being strong and healthy. If one calf is bigger than the other, so be it. I am not going spend weeks in the gym trying to fix it.
    m/37/5'10/194

Back Squat 435lbs
    Shoulder Press 195lbs
    Deadlift 505lbs
    Bench Press 315lb

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBulknCut View Post
    Just wondering your reasons on why you chose this route?
    Because a singlet gives more room for my manhood than a speedo.

I am aType one diabetic and the first attempt at a diet almost put me in the hospitol, but I LOVE to move big weight, well big weight to me! I went the BB rout for a while and realized it was not the look I was really after I got drunk on the raw power! The personal challenge that comes with PL can be easily put into an analogy that it is much like life. The weight does not change or care if you have a good day or bad day, 500lbs is 500lbs in any time zone! Looking down at a large amount of weight before attempting a DL and knowing that weight is gonna give you all you can handle but you have to make up your mind before you pick it up that you own it!

Mental strength and personal growth. Athletics have been an important part of my life all my life and in my youth kept me out of trouble. I was a pole vaulter in college and after the olympic dream faded I looked for something that would give me the same satisfaction, After a stent at BB I turned to PL and have not looked back. People (friends and some family) ask, "that is crazy why do you want to do that"? The same question they used to ask when I vaulted! Every inch was an honest improvement because 18' was 18' no matter where you were the same as 500lbs is 500lbs no matter where you stand! You have to put in some insane work to get strong, I am on a "quest" to bench 500lbs raw, getting to a legit 450 was serious work but now that I see what kind of work it will take to get to 500 I am hungry for the challenge, just like back when I vaulted and that is a good feeling! To be hungry for success is what it is all about, weather it is a 250 lbs bench or 800, they are all worthy of attention and the personal growth and understanding of what YOU are capable of is something you can carry with you in your everyday life outside the gym. With that comes a confidence, a pride or pep in your step, that is what it is all about to me, sorry for rambling but you got me at a moment where I had some time!!! LOL! Time to lift!!!!

Wannabebig Member
    I second the guy who mentioned the subjectivity of BB. That is not for me. Also, lifting heavy is way more fun. Lastly, I can be ripped to shreds but suddenly look like crap after eating some pancakes and walking in bad lighting. The weight on the bar is the weight on the bar nomatter what lighting you are in.

Ernie Batson
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTallOx View Post
    Because a singlet gives more room for my manhood than a speedo.
    I almost fell out of my chair.

I agree no grape smugglers for me.
    You can be pitiful or powerful CHOOSE.

A diet? Give me a large pizza and a steak any day.

A bodybuilder has to push themselves to the brink, then cut, then see a lagging ab muscle, bulk again then they think they're fat and they cut again for a competition that is completely subjective.

A powerlifter has one goal... Seek and ****ing destroy, baby.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff Riff View Post
    I am aType one diabetic and the first attempt at a diet almost put me in the hospitol, but I LOVE to move big weight, well big weight to me! I went the BB rout for a while and realized it was not the look I was really after I got drunk on the raw power! The personal challenge that comes with PL can be easily put into an analogy that it is much like life. The weight does not change or care if you have a good day or bad day, 500lbs is 500lbs in any time zone! Looking down at a large amount of weight before attempting a DL and knowing that weight is gonna give you all you can handle but you have to make up your mind before you pick it up that you own it!

Mental strength and personal growth. Athletics have been an important part of my life all my life and in my youth kept me out of trouble. I was a pole vaulter in college and after the olympic dream faded I looked for something that would give me the same satisfaction, After a stent at BB I turned to PL and have not looked back. People (friends and some family) ask, "that is crazy why do you want to do that"? The same question they used to ask when I vaulted! Every inch was an honest improvement because 18' was 18' no matter where you were the same as 500lbs is 500lbs no matter where you stand! You have to put in some insane work to get strong, I am on a "quest" to bench 500lbs raw, getting to a legit 450 was serious work but now that I see what kind of work it will take to get to 500 I am hungry for the challenge, just like back when I vaulted and that is a good feeling! To be hungry for success is what it is all about, weather it is a 250 lbs bench or 800, they are all worthy of attention and the personal growth and understanding of what YOU are capable of is something you can carry with you in your everyday life outside the gym. With that comes a confidence, a pride or pep in your step, that is what it is all about to me, sorry for rambling but you got me at a moment where I had some time!!! LOL! Time to lift!!!!
    Great answer....

Simple

If I could I would do both. The main 2 reasons why I dont BB are:
    1. I LOVE to eat and i'm not a big fan of dieting
    2. I have a full sleeve and a half sleeve(soon to be a full)

So, I just decide to stick with powerlifting and have fun. I have much respect for BB's and everything they do!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Knew i could never be number 1 in bodybuilding
    AtLargeNutrition - Support the company that supports WannaBeBig!

Follow me on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ajroberts

I like to eat.
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by IronDiggy View Post
    I like to eat.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Because I'm not overly obsessed with visible abs

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Does this mean that Powerlifters are not as healthy as BB's?

Quote Originally Posted by tnathletics2b View Post
    I'd rather eat what I want and just move big weights. I know bodybuilders are/can be strong, too, but my strength has translated so well to things I need to get done- when I moved to my house, cutting down, chopping, and splitting 3 maple trees in my back yard, etc. It is nice to be strong - relatively, of course
    my thoughts the same

expanding on my first answer:
    because I started lifting to get stronger for Football, Hockey and Track and Field (shot and discus) not for any asethetic purpose, I played sports my whole life, and since college ended (and my rugby career with my third knee surgery) I found a sport built around the three things i could still do, squat, bench, and deadlift.
    Last edited by isaku900; 05-04-2010 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBulknCut View Post
    Does this mean that Powerlifters are not as healthy as BB's?
    You can't generalize.

There are unhealthy and healthy Powerlifters just as there are both unhealthy and healthy BB's.