Thread: Massage before lifting?

Massage before lifting?

Late last week I exhausted my spinae erector and lower traps doing heavy overhead squats and power cleans and woke up Friday morning with that, "OH S***" feeling (anyone else ever experience that before?). My back was destroyed. I've had this before and knew it was only a matter of days before it felt ok, but I have a little extra money and thought I would schedule a massage (which I've never had before). So, today I'm going in for this massage at 3, and I wanna deadlift afterwards but I'm not sure how my muscles are going to respond to the massage... Of course, ideally the massage should be done on an off day, but I've taken the last 3 days off and I have to lift today. Has anyone else ever had to make this decision before? If not, I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadChef View Post
    Late last week I exhausted my spinae erector and lower traps doing heavy overhead squats and power cleans and woke up Friday morning with that, "OH S***" feeling (anyone else ever experience that before?). My back was destroyed. I've had this before and knew it was only a matter of days before it felt ok, but I have a little extra money and thought I would schedule a massage (which I've never had before). So, today I'm going in for this massage at 3, and I wanna deadlift afterwards but I'm not sure how my muscles are going to respond to the massage... Of course, ideally the massage should be done on an off day, but I've taken the last 3 days off and I have to lift today. Has anyone else ever had to make this decision before? If not, I'll let y'all know how it goes.
    Funny you should ask this... I just had a massage on Saturday at Lifetime.

I can't imagine it's bad for you at all. I mean, it's analogous to foam rolling, right?
    My massage on Saturday was really intense(combination of pain and awesome), after I got done I felt so limber and flexible. I really wanted to go hit the weights after my session but it wasn't a lifting day,
    so I didn't.

That stuff about massage releasing toxins is totaly bull****, so if anything a massage is going to help you get all nice and warmed up for a good deadlifting session. My only concern would be that it's going to relax the crap out of you so you'll probably need to get a cup of coffee or something afterwards, so you don't fall asleep in the rack.
    Last edited by Mercuryblade; 05-03-2010 at 12:16 PM.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Take the day off. Enjoy the massage and give your body a break.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I am no expert, but I would not workout after getting a massage, especially a deep tissue massage. One of the guys at the gym I used to go to years ago got a massage and then went and worked out and pulled his bicep. He blamesd it on the fact that his muscle was stretched and so relaxed that it increased his potential for injury. When I got a massage a while back, I asked the massage therapist about it. She said as far as your muscles are concerned, getting a massage is like a workout. Depending on how bad you need it, you can actually feel like you've gotten your butt kicked after your massage and a massage can even cause bruising. When I got mine it hurt. I guess you can see how you feel afterwards, but if I were you I would take the day off, get to sleep early and be ready to go the next day.

BTW, enjoy the massage. I actually am looking forward to scheduling another one. It hurt, but it hurt good.
    m/37/5'10/194

Back Squat 435lbs
    Shoulder Press 195lbs
    Deadlift 505lbs
    Bench Press 315lb

Take the day off. Enjoy the massage and give your body a break.
    Sage advice as always, Sensei.

BTW, MercuryBlade, I just have to say that it's not bull**** that massages increase lymphatic circulation, it's science.

BTW, MercuryBlade, I just have to say that it's not bull**** that massages increase lymphatic circulation, it's science.
    If you have hard science to prove it I'd love to read it (no snark intended), I love getting massages, and if there is an added benefit of somehow detoxing my body, even better. But I have not heard of any kind of peer review literature that suggests manual lymph manipulation will get rid of toxins.

Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of clinical evidence that suggests a myriad of positive effects from massage therapy, but toxin release is not one of them.
    http://www.massagetoday.com/archives/2002/12/08.html

Starting Current

If you have hard science to prove it I'd love to read it (no snark intended), I love getting massages, and if there is an added benefit of somehow detoxing my body, even better. But I have not heard of any kind of peer review literature that suggests manual lymph manipulation will get rid of toxins.
    I must say, you are a hard case. Even studies can be manipulated, skewed. I'm pretty sure massage moves fluid around, promotes circulation. I don't really need a study to know that. But don't take it from me, I buy into all kinds of mystical hocus pocus like chiropractic.

I must say, you are a hard case. Even studies can be manipulated, skewed. I'm pretty sure massage moves fluid around, promotes circulation. I don't really need a study to know that. But don't take it from me, I buy into all kinds of mystical hocus pocus like chiropractic.
    Peer-reviewed evidence is certainly not the end all, but it is a step above an unfounded claim. I was generally curious to see if you had anything to suggest that massage can help remove toxins. How would something like mercury be removed from a fatcell due to increased blood flow?

You and I share probably more viewpoints that you think. But like many people on the more "alternative" side of nutrition, medicine, etc, it seems you have bought a bit too much into the rheotoric (which people fall guilty to on all sides).
    Alternative treatments, just like western medicine, have their place. There are plenty of clinical studies that espouse the benefits of things like meditation, massage, acupuncture etc. But you have to understand their limits, and not buy into their more dogmatic aspects. That was the same point I was making about chiropractors, for the record. Whatever that thread was, if you were to re-read my posts, you'd realize that.

Anyhoo sorry for the threadjack.

Starting Current

Peer-reviewed evidence is certainly not the end all, but it is a step above an unfounded claim. I was generally curious to see if you had anything to suggest that massage can help remove toxins. How would something like mercury be removed from a fatcell due to increased blood flow?
    Trust me, there's a lot of alternative stuff like foot reflexology and NMT that has a legitimate background (or otherwise very smart people wouldn't spend their whole lives dedicated to its practice with no financial incentive to speak of) that I, personally, think is a waste of time. But, a multitude of people have been helped by massage, and chiropractic and many other "alternative" modalities that the "scientific community" doesn't raise an eyebrow at. These practices are healing techniques that go back thousands of years, and are only "alternatives" to current western medicine (which is largely influenced by money). The way I see it, western medicine should be considered an alternative to the "alternative", because drugs and surgery should be a last resort, IMO. Also, since western medicine has got its stranglehold on every American in this country, look at how our health has declined. I realize there are other factors, and that western medicine, drugs and surgery can be valuable tools and have their place, but people need to open their minds and not shun alternative healing methods just for the mere fact that there is not a lot of peer reviewed studies to back it.

(and there are studies, however... its just no one wants to publicize them.)