The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    1) Deadlifts 4 x 8
    2) One arm BB thrust 3 x 6-8

3a) Seated cable row 3 x 8-10
    3b) cable crossover 3 x 12-15

4a) Seated High face pulls 3 x 8-12
    4b) Pec deck 3 x 10-12
    4c) Preacger curl 3 x 10

5a) Pulldowns 3 x 12-15
    5b) Hammer curls 3 x 10
    5c) SB crunches 3 x 20

I've already gained back the weight I lost while I was off and its sitting around 213 lbs first thing in morning. I have to make sure I eat every 2 hours to get all my meals in. On traing days its 8 meals and non-training its 7 meals. This week I will incorporate my strength day, we'll see what happens.

Wannabebig Member
    Allen, with these kind of workouts, how many times a week do you train for the moment ? eric

Quote Originally Posted by POWERZN View Post
    Allen, with these kind of workouts, how many times a week do you train for the moment ? eric
    It rotates. For 2 weeks I train 5 days and then 1 week I train 4 days.

Weight is up 3 more lbs to 216. Appetite is still good which is a plus when gaining and eating this much.

Friday was the first time doing my strength day on my new program. The weights felt pretty heavy since I haven't done rerps this low in over a year. After doing this 2-3 more times it will be much better.

1) Bench Press 5 x 3

2) Fat bar close grip 3 board press with 3 sec lockout holds on every rep 5 x 5

3) Deadlifts pyramid up to 2 x 3

4) leg press 3 x 30 , constant focus on hard muscle contractions thru whole range of motion of every rep.

Wannabebig Member
    Allen, a few questions about this workout,
    1 / Is this workout planned to do every week or every 14 days ?
    2 / Are you not afraid to get injured after doing this workout for a while ?
    3 / With board press do you mean something is lying on your chest like the powerlifter train ?
    4 / How long ( sec or minutes ) do you rest between sets ?
    5 / After this workout is a rest day recomended ?

Eric

Allen, a few questions about this workout,
    1 / Is this workout planned to do every week or every 14 days ?
    2 / Are you not afraid to get injured after doing this workout for a while ?
    3 / With board press do you mean something is lying on your chest like the powerlifter train ?
    4 / How long ( sec or minutes ) do you rest between sets ?
    5 / After this workout is a rest day recomended ?

Eric
    The answers to most of those questions are completely individual, its not black and white.

To answer a few, I don't go to complete failure on these lifts I keep a few reps in the whole so not to get injured. The board presses are like a powerlifter uses. No clue on how long I rest.

I just started a new gaining phase 4 weeks ago after maintaining 210 lbs for last 3 months. My morning weight is up to 222 lbs and will continue this phase for next 3 months. Whatever I gain in this time period I will look to maintain until I start contest prep in Janurary. Here is my current diet:

1) 2 cups egg whites, 2 whole eggs, 1/2 cup oats, 30g raisins, 35g almonds

2) 2.5 scoops Nitrean, 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup blueberries, 2 tbsp natural peanut butterl (all blended together)

3) 200g lean beef, 1 cup rice, 35g almonds

4) 2 scoops Nitrean, 1 scoop BCAAs, 40g waixe maize, 1 tbsp olive oil (45 min prior to workout)

5) 2.5 scoops Nitrean, 16oz apple juice

6) 220g Chicken, 1 cup rice, 35 mixed nuts

7) 6 whole eggs, 1/2 cup oats, 30g raisins

8) 2 scoops Nitrean, 1/2 cup grape nuts, 1 tbsp olive oil

Wannabebig Member
    Allen, just when I look at your last 2 diets I can only imagine how the 1500 calorie diet a few years ago on the cycle diet must have felt, of course you had a spike day but still.... eric

Allen, just when I look at your last 2 diets I can only imagine how the 1500 calorie diet a few years ago on the cycle diet must have felt, of course you had a spike day but still.... eric
    It actually felt fine at the time. You can't compare what I did then with what I'm doing now. My body is in a completely different place. I'm carrying more muscle and my metabolic rate is higher.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Did A.R.T help your tennis elbow? I've been attempting to rehab my tennis elbow for months now but elbow flexion is still painful. I've been thinking about getting some ART.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    Did A.R.T help your tennis elbow? I've been attempting to rehab my tennis elbow for months now but elbow flexion is still painful. I've been thinking about getting some ART.
    Yes it helped a lot. I also used a theraputic device called the Armaid. It allows you to do trigger point and self massage.

I took off about 4 weeks from any direct arm work while I hade ART done as well as stretched my biceps, triceps and forearms everyday. I am back to about 90% from 40% so its coming along, just gota keep it up.

I also bought some mueller elbow sleeves from elitefts.cm and never do upper body without them. They give just enough support and keep elbows warm. They were about $8 each. Just be consistent with everything.

This will be my last week on my current Hybrid program. My body is feeling a bit beat up and I will take 4-5 days off at the end of the week and start into my next phase. My bodyweight is at an all time high of 226 lbs and I expect to gain 5-10 more lbs.

I will start my contest prep the first part of December and do a 16 week prep.

1) Squats 250 x 8, 275 x 8, 300 x 8, 315 x 16 (hit the floor and had to rest for 6 min before my next exercise)

2) Single leg press 4pps x 8 x 3 sets

3a) Leg curl 3 x 8-10
    3b) single leg hip pop up 3 x 12-15

4a) Leg pess (feet high and close) 3 x 10
    4b) SB Straight leg lateral raise 3 x 12-15 EL
    4c) Recline pull ups 3 x 10-15

5a) Seated leg curl 3 x 10-12
    5b) Reverse grip pulldown 3 x 10-15

Jeez Allen, that's a ton of volume, all that up to 315 is brutal, then 315 x 16? You're an animal buddy. I hate high rep squats, anything over 4-5 reps and that's enough for me. Good luck with the training, and the diet.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Next Phase

After 5 days off I started back training yesterday on my new program. This one will be a 4 day bodypart split with lots of different intensity techniques. I will also be doing yoga once per week. Weight is holding around 227. I have 5 more months before I start contest prep and I am looking forward to it.

Legs

1) Lying leg curls 4 x 12, 10, 8, then 1 drop set of 10-10-10

2) Stiff leg deads 3 x 10 (hrad glute/ham flex on every rep)

3) Leg press build up til 10 reps are hard then do 3 sets of 10 with 3 sec negatives and expolode up, no lockout

4) Smith machine squat 2 x 10 of 1 1/2 reps

5) leg extention 1 x 12 (3 sec flex on all reps)

6) calf raise on leg press 3 x 1 min (once i couldn't do full range I did partials out of bottom)

Wannabebig Member
    Allen, for the leg presses are the feet placed high or normal ? Doing leg presses the placing of the feet is
    important for placing emphasis on the hams or the quads, so I was wondering if you payed attention to that detail or does it not matter in this workout, eric

Allen, for the leg presses are the feet placed high or normal ? Doing leg presses the placing of the feet is
    important for placing emphasis on the hams or the quads, so I was wondering if you payed attention to that detail or does it not matter in this workout, eric
    I do pay attention to that , it will vary each week depending on my workout and the emphasis.

Chest & Shoulders

1) Flat DB press 4 x 15, 12, 10, 8 (1 sec flex on every rep)

2) Very slight Decline DB press 4 x 10 (1 sec flex)

3) Incline DB press 3 x 10 (1 sec pause at bottom for stretch, no lockout)

4) Cable crossover 1 x 20

5) DB side lateral 5 x 8 (only 30 sec rest)

6) DB bent lateral 5 x 25

My chest was extremely pumped and my delts felt numb after this workout!

Wannabebig Member
    Allen, is there a special reason why you do a slightly decline dumbell press, I learned that below 0 degrees
    wasn't the emphasis on chest but shoulders and triceps, but like I said maybe it does have a reason, eric

Allen, is there a special reason why you do a slightly decline dumbell press, I learned that below 0 degrees
    wasn't the emphasis on chest but shoulders and triceps, but like I said maybe it does have a reason, eric
    It's all about your execution. A deep decline is hard on your rotater cuffs, but a slight decline I still feel it almost completely in my chest. Try flexing your pecs on every rep. Find that mind muscle connection and visualize only your chest moving the weight. Start with a lighter weight and increase every set. once you start feeling it in another muscle more than chest its to much.

Wannabebig Member
    Allen, I'm very curious where this program is going, at first sight it looks like an innervation program with special training techniques but what about core and conditioning ? Maybe the next days will make it more clear where this program is heading, eric

You have done extremely well in executing this bulking program, the added size your next show will make you proud.

Allen, I'm very curious where this program is going, at first sight it looks like an innervation program with special training techniques but what about core and conditioning ? Maybe the next days will make it more clear where this program is heading, eric
    It is a traditional bodypart split with intensity techniques. I have a 4 day split with each bodypart being trained once per week for now. I always use innervation principles, but this is not a pure innervation program like Scott would prescribe. As far as core I train it twice per week and my sets are grueling enough, so no specific conditioning type sequences, Its not a Hybrid.

Back

1) Smith machine bent rows 3 x 15, 12, 8 ( last set do 6 singles after 8 reps) all reps flex hard

2) One arm cable row 3 x 8

3) Rack deadlifts 1 x 10 rest pause reps (about 8-10 sec between reps)

4) DB pullover 3 x 12

5) Partial chins (emphasis on stretch) 3 x 15

Core 8 sets

Wannabebig Member
    Allen, about the one arm cable rows, are they performed like seated rows with one arm or bent over standing on a freemotion cable machine, by the way I did the seated cross reach and row version with 2 arms at a time last back training and was surprised about the different feeling of the stretch, eric

Allen, about the one arm cable rows, are they performed like seated rows with one arm or bent over standing on a freemotion cable machine, by the way I did the seated cross reach and row version with 2 arms at a time last back training and was surprised about the different feeling of the stretch, eric
    I use seated cable row so I can leverage myself to get the best stretch