The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    wow lot of nitrean!! do you eat the same exact foods every day? I was wondering too what are your favorite ab exercises.

you mention a book called Modern Nutrition...who is the author?
    Last edited by yayeti; 07-09-2011 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yayeti View Post
    wow lot of nitrean!! do you eat the same exact foods every day? I was wondering too what are your favorite ab exercises.

you mention a book called Modern Nutrition...who is the author?
    Yes I basically eat the same foods each day. I may change up condiments or spices, but thats about it.

I really don't have any favorite ab exercises I just make sure to use variety and also make sure to do rotational work.

The author of Modern Nutrition is Maurice E. Shils

Legs

My current morning weight is 230 lbs, an all time high with some abs still visible. I think at this point I'm going to shoot to maintain around this weight. My appetite is starting to decrease so I don't want to push things. I am very pleased with my progress thus far over the last 15 months and taking time off to add size was much needed. Last time I started prep I was 210 lbs and competed at 180 lbs taking 3rd in LHW. So hopefully this time around I will be about 190 on stage and be towards top end of the class. 5 more months until prep starts.

1) Seated Leg curl 3 x 10 (hard flex every rep) 130lbs, 1 drop set of 6, 6, 6, 15. 3 sec neg on the drops.

2) Squats 5 x 5, 350lbs

3) Walking BB lunge with slight pause at bottom of every rep., 3 x 12 each leg, 70 lbs

4) DB stiff legg deadlift 4 x 12 100 lbs
    Last edited by Allen Cress; 07-11-2011 at 11:34 PM.

Chest/Shoulders

1a) Cable crossover (flex hard every rep) 4 x 12
    1b) Flat DB fly (only come up 3/4 way) 4 x 7

2) Incline BB press ( 3 sec neg, no lockouts) 4 x 6

3) Flat BB press (pause at bottom, explode up) 4 x 5

4) Side lateral 3 x 8 (only 15 sec rest between sets)

5) Machine shoulder press (2 sec flex at top for 10, then 10 partials out of bottom) 3 sets

6) Reverse pec deck 2 x 40

Hey Allen,

Im trying to design a program that goes along with the principles that you talk about and follow. Ive been doing alot of reading about the type of training you talk about in your articles as well as Scott Abel's. I don't think it would be ideal for me to follow the same type of workouts and diets you do because you've been doing this for many years and I haven't. You also recommend personalized plans that works for each individual.

How do you recommend I go about designing a program for myself that implements these ideas (sources, articles, etc.)?

Quote Originally Posted by yayeti View Post
    Hey Allen,

Im trying to design a program that goes along with the principles that you talk about and follow. Ive been doing alot of reading about the type of training you talk about in your articles as well as Scott Abel's. I don't think it would be ideal for me to follow the same type of workouts and diets you do because you've been doing this for many years and I haven't. You also recommend personalized plans that works for each individual.

How do you recommend I go about designing a program for myself that implements these ideas (sources, articles, etc.)?
    Designing programs is a difficult task to be sure, I've been doing this for 15 years now. One of the best sources would be The Abel Approach by Scott Abel. Just keep an open mind and realize there isn't one best program it's the cummulative effect of different programs overtime. One program should go to the next and so on. Also hiring a coach is a good idea as it will teach you alot because you can see how things progress.

Back

1) Smith machine bent rows 2 x 8; 2 x 7(rest pause); 2 x 6 (rest pause). I was very explosive on each rep tapping into as many fast twitch fibers as possible

2) Low cable row 3 x 10, 8, 6

3) Chins 2 x 8 narrow grip, 2 x 6 medium grip, 2 x 5 wide grip

4) DB pull over 2 x 10

Arms/calves

1a) Rope pushdowns 4 x 12
    1b) Incline DB curls 4 x 8 (slow negative)

2a) Bench dips 4 x 10 (added weight each set)
    2b) EZ bar curl 4 x 6

3a) Seated DB overhead ext 4 x 8
    3b) Preacher curl 4 x 8 (slow negative)

4) Reverse curls 2 x 12

Calves
    1) Seated calf raise 4 x 15, 2 x 10 (focus on stretch on last 2 sets)

2) Standing calf raise 2 x 50

Legs

1a) Seated Leg curl 3 x 15, 12, 8. (On last set I did 15 partials from bottom)
    1b) Leg extention 3 x 15, 12, 8 (On last set I did 15 partials from bottom)

2) Squats pyramided up in weight till 8 reps were very hard, took about 4 sets. Also did 3 sec negatives on all reps. weights went like this: 240 x 8, 275 x 8, 295 x 8, 315 x 8

3) Hack squats 3 x 8 (rock bottom reps)

4) DB stiff leg deads 3 x 12 (only came up 3/4 way)

Bodyweight is sitting around 230 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    Bodyweight is sitting around 230 lbs.
    Great news, are you comfortable at that weight? - just interested in hearing what you'd have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Great news, are you comfortable at that weight? - just interested in hearing what you'd have to say.
    Yes I'm comfortable. But I think If I gained much more at this point it wouldn't be very functional. So I'll just look to maintain around this weight until I start contest prep in December. I'll be about 20 lbs heavier than I was when I started my last prep.

Legs

1a) Leg ext 12,12, 9, 6 (held for a 2 sec flex on last 2 sets)
    1b) Seated leg curl 12, 12 , 9, 6

2) Machine Leg press 4 x 20. 1st set I did 20 reps no lockouts. 2nd set 15 reps and 5 rest/pause reps (pause at bottom for 1 sec then back up, no lockout, and back to a pause. 3rd set 10 reps and 10 rest/pause, 4th set 5 reps and 15 rest/pause. After last set I had trouble walking and and had to rest 8 min before last exercise.

3) BB stiff leg deadlift 4 x 12

Back

1) Pulldowns 3 x 12, 10, 8

2) DB rows 3 x 8

3) Seated cable row 3 x 12 (hard flex each rep)

4) Supported rows with elbows high 3 x 10

5) DB shrugs 3 x 10 (30 sec rest)

6) Hyperextension 3 x failure

I have decided to do a 20 week prep this year, never done more than 16 weeks. I want to take my time since its been 18 months since I stepped on stage. So I will start the first of Novemeber. Bodyweight is still holding at 230 lbs.

Wannabebig Member
    Allen, is there a special reason why you stick to innervation training for the moment like giving the nervous system a break ? The MET and HYBRID training looks more attractive from an athletic point of view but if mass is the goal you maybe need to switch to ' traditional ' innervation one in a while. For me traditional training as a
    gymowner training in your own facilty is almost impossible, when not doing biplexes or triplexes people tend to take the advantage of willing to talk in between sets, that is why I only stick to complexes for exeption of the
    first and or second exercise when the movement is more power oriented like bench presses or squats.
    Telling people on a polite way you are training and they have to respect it is one thing but the majority of those
    people tell you they bring you money and it's your job to listen to what they have to say, I know it doesn't sound
    logical but that's the way it is over here, eric

Quote Originally Posted by POWERZN View Post
    Allen, is there a special reason why you stick to innervation training for the moment like giving the nervous system a break ? The MET and HYBRID training looks more attractive from an athletic point of view but if mass is the goal you maybe need to switch to ' traditional ' innervation one in a while. For me traditional training as a
    gymowner training in your own facilty is almost impossible, when not doing biplexes or triplexes people tend to take the advantage of willing to talk in between sets, that is why I only stick to complexes for exeption of the
    first and or second exercise when the movement is more power oriented like bench presses or squats.
    Telling people on a polite way you are training and they have to respect it is one thing but the majority of those
    people tell you they bring you money and it's your job to listen to what they have to say, I know it doesn't sound
    logical but that's the way it is over here, eric
    More of my time is always spent with innervation/traditional training more so than Hybrid or MET because my main goal is overall mass and detail in each muscle. Surfing the curve is important, but depending on what your main goal is will determine what type of training you spend most of your time.

Training with high intensity as I do is always demanding on my CNS regardless if its Hybrid or traditional type training. No type of training is ever impossible, its all about how you handle yourself. People come talk to me some while I'm resting regardless if I'm doing complexes or straight sets. When its time to do my next set I just say Hold on for a minute gota do my next set, and do it. Its that simple.

Or if I'm training someone and they are talking I give them a 30 sec warning its about time to start their next set. But I won't train someone if all they wanna do is talk, thats not what i'm there for.

Arms/calves

1a) Alternating DB curl with supination 4 x 8
    1b) EZ bar curl; slow negative 4 x 6

2) One arm DB preacher curl 3 x 10 (only 30 sec rest)

3) Reverse curls 4 x 25, 20, 15, 10 (only 20 sec rest)

4) Leaning overhead rope ext. 4 x 12 (emphasize stretch)

5) Seated dip machine 4 x 8 , no lockout

6) S.M. close grip bench press (modified JM press) 4 x 8

Calves
    1) S.M. standing raises 5 x 15. pyramid up and down weight, do partials at end if needed to get reps

Wannabebig Member
    Allen, why the negatives on ez curls ( 1b) ?
    I tought that we don't focus on negatives since we're 30 % stronger on eccentric phases anyway ?
    But you will of course have a reason for this, eric

Allen, why the negatives on ez curls ( 1b) ?
    I tought that we don't focus on negatives since we're 30 % stronger on eccentric phases anyway ?
    But you will of course have a reason for this, eric
    I'm not training negatives for strength purposes, I do them for time under tension, also the breakdown of muscle occurs during the eccentric.

Wannabebig Member
    I assume you don't do this on every training session ( the negatives ) since it's hard on the joints, but by rotating the workouts and only doing this for one exercise I don't think it will be hard on the joints eventually, eric

I assume you don't do this on every training session ( the negatives ) since it's hard on the joints, but by rotating the workouts and only doing this for one exercise I don't think it will be hard on the joints eventually, eric
    Its not hard on the joints at all, you actually have to use lighter weights than normal because its more difficult. Now if I was doing it for max strength purposes then yes it would be harder on the joints. Remember I do this for hypertrophy so I still want to be able to flex the muscle on each rep not just use a ton of weight to make the negative hard. Its more draining in the CNS so I would not use it on more than 2 exercises within a workout.

Legs

1) Stiff legged deadlifts 4 x 10

2) Leg press, feet high 4 x 8

3) Leg ext., heavy (let butt come off seat to emphasize the teardrop) 3 x 15

4) Hack squats ( slow negative then pause for 1 sec at bottom ) 5 x 12 These were hardcore and extremely painful , in a good way.

5) Leg curl 4 x 10

My legs had a deep soreness all over from this one in my hams, quads and glutes.

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    I love hack squats. There's this weird masochistic gratification that I get after completing a few burning sets that I can feel hours later. I'm saddened that I didn't discover hack squats earlier in my lifting life or perhaps did them with a significant load. They were always annoying 135# "bastard deadlifts" to me. I have since stacked the plates like an Old Country Buffet and go to work with that exercise.

+like
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Legs

This left me laying on the floor between most setsand trying not to vomit.

1) Lying leg curl 2 x 10 (did 1 1/4 reps)

2) Leg press; Worked my way up gradually until 15 reps were hard, then added weight for 2nd and
    3rd set. The 3rd and last set was a drop set where I do 15 reps with each drop.
    10 pps (plates per side) x 15
    8 pps x 15
    5 pps x 15
    *had to rest 6 min before even attempting next exercise

3) Hack squats 1 x 30, 1 x 25. Feet together, went as deep as possible and only came up half way for every rep.

4) Smith machine squats 3 x 8. Did a slow negative on each rep.
    Last edited by Allen Cress; 08-24-2011 at 08:08 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Seems like basic torture to me, this training has to be done by very advanced trainees who understand intensity, if not they can't get everything out of a training like this,
    good work ! eric

Chest/Shoulders

1) Machine press with neutral grip 4 x 12, 10, 8, 6

2) 5ncline BB press 3 x 10, no lockouts

3) Very slight decline Smith machine press 3 x 20, 3/4 way up

4) DB side lateral 3 x 25

5) Smith machine overhead press with hard negatives 2 x 6

6) Machine rear laterals 3 x 35