The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Banned
    allen.. what is your PWO carb of choice? for simplicity, I have chosen dextrose.. but im thinking about reworking things in order to swap for additional oatmeal. if I may inquire, with what have you had the best results?

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    allen.. what is your PWO carb of choice? for simplicity, I have chosen dextrose.. but im thinking about reworking things in order to swap for additional oatmeal. if I may inquire, with what have you had the best results?
    In the off season its usually some sort of fruit like blueberries, pineapple, or grapes. But honestly you can have any starch as well. Total calories and balance is much more important than PWO carbs.

The only time I use dextrose is if I'm doing an all out bulk type diet (5000-6000 calories) and I need something that digests easy and is calorie dense.

I like following this journal. Any reason you don't do pull ups instead of pull downs? Also, curious as to what you think about the new HCT-12 routine for gaining size?

Quote Originally Posted by ELmx479 View Post
    I like following this journal. Any reason you don't do pull ups instead of pull downs? Also, curious as to what you think about the new HCT-12 routine for gaining size?
    I do pull ups sometimes depending on where they are placed in my protocol. If they are one of the middle to last exercises I would not be able to perform them to get to get total muscle activation due to the muscle being fatigued so I either use pulldowns or assisted pull ups.

Remember my main goal is size not strength so I do what will enable me to stimulate as much muscle as possible. I'm not concerned with if I can do a lot of pull ups or not. Some people are built to do them and some are not and this is where individualization comes in. This is also a factor that comes into play when I design programs for people. An individuals anatomical leverage is a big factor for exercise choices, especially when development is the main goal.

HCT-12 is a great program especially because it has structure, which most individuals are missing. It keeps them from pinballing from one thing to the next.

Wannabebig Member
    Hey Allen,

Hope everything is going well.

What does one of your Delt/arm workouts look like bro?

Quote Originally Posted by Mclovin1 View Post
    Hey Allen,

Hope everything is going well.

What does one of your Delt/arm workouts look like bro?
    Here is what I did this week:

1a) Seated side laterals3 Xs 10-12
    1b) Seated DB Press 3 Xs 12-15

2a) Seated DB Press 3 Xs 8-10
    2b) BB Upright Rows 3 Xs 12-15

3a) DB Upright Rows 3 Xs 15-20
    3b) Cable Rear Delts 3 Xs 15-20

4a) Front Alternate Raise 3 Xs 10-12 EA
    4b) DB or Cable Bent Laterals 3 Xs 15-20

5a) Lying Alternating DB Triceps Extensions 3 Xs 8-10
    5b) Horizontal Cable Biceps Curls 3 Xs 15-20

6a) Overhead Rope Extensions 3 Xs 10-12
    6b) Machine Preacher Curls 3 Xs 12-15

7a) Triceps Bench Dips feet on SB 3 Xs 15-20
    7b) Alternating Zottman Curls 3 Xs 10-12 EA

This only part of the overall structure of my program and this workout is not done every week.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks.

Looks intense.... All those supersets must be a killer.

How's everything else going? are you doing any cardio ? Your diet ( on the other page) look great with all those carbs.. do you not think it's better to take in carbs around workouts and then taper them off?

I'm trying to lose some fat right now and have been told that it's best to only eat carbs at meal 1 and post workout then just protein and fats?

How does that sound?

Quote Originally Posted by Mclovin1 View Post

How's everything else going? are you doing any cardio ? Your diet ( on the other page) look great with all those carbs.. do you not think it's better to take in carbs around workouts and then taper them off?

I'm trying to lose some fat right now and have been told that it's best to only eat carbs at meal 1 and post workout then just protein and fats?

How does that sound?
    Never any cardio during off season beside my training.

Balance is the key to a good diet plan. I don't belive at all in the whole pre, peri, and post workout carbs around workouts and don't implement that with clients. That makes things too complicated when it doesn't need to be that way.

Carbs are important and needed, just the amount is important depending on the individual and the ratio used.

Banned
    so why no cardio at all? intensity is high enough without added boredom? (cardio is so boring)

No cardio would be awesome lol, but those super sets look pretty brutal! I've switched to them again recently and it's amazing how much they kick your ass!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

so why no cardio at all? intensity is high enough without added boredom? (cardio is so boring)
    My weight training is my cardio(anaerobic). My intensity is always high and oxygen debt is always there. Regular cardio does nothing to improve your metabolic rate or support muscle so no use in doing it. Try doing 3 sets of 25-30 on Squats at the end of a leg workout and tell me how your legs and your lungs feel. Thats real conditioning!!

Unless you are trying to get really lean it shouldn't be implemented as long as your training protocol is sound and your intensity is high. Even when trying to get lean it should be used based on an individual. Too many people think traditional cardio is a must to stay or get lean and its not by any means.

Progress Pics

Here are some pics I took today after my Mid-week spike yesterday. I am weighing 205 lbs, 15 lbs over my contest weight. My cycle diet is going great and adding some size while staying lean.

Here is what I had for my Mid-week spike:

Meal 1
    -8 rolls of sushi

Meal 2
    - 4 large pancakes with 4 tbsp of peanut butter

After I take a week off at the end of this training protocol I will start my clean bulking diet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great pics Allen, always in the winning circle!!

Banned
    allen, looking stacked. so did you develop your diet routine from years of experimentation? why change what youre doing if youre adding size and staying lean?

allen, looking stacked. so did you develop your diet routine from years of experimentation? why change what youre doing if youre adding size and staying lean?
    The Cycle Diet was developed by my mentor Scott Abel over 15 years ago. It is tweaked to meet what my body needs, but very effective to stay lean while adding size once your in a supercompensation state.

Even though I will add some size doing this diet I need a much greater influx of calories to make much larger gains in a shorter amount of time. Once I reach the muscle size I truly need then the cycle diet is what i will use year round in off season.

Banned
    is the cycle diet discussed in the abel approach? its not exactly a cheap book.. but I am intrigued. do you know anything additional about whats discussed in the book? im most interested in the diet side of things.

is the cycle diet discussed in the abel approach? its not exactly a cheap book.. but I am intrigued. do you know anything additional about whats discussed in the book? im most interested in the diet side of things.
    If you want more in-depth info on the cycle diet you should purchase the "Science behind the Cycle Diet" dvd. I think u can buy it as a download or dvd. The Abel approach is more training oriented, not diet. The best products on diet are MP3 downloads and pretty cheap. The Abel Dietary Priciples and The Truth About Diet should help you out.

You look awesome in your new pics, perhaps buy some looser boxers though ha ha

Seriously though, incredible stuff and I am taking on board your comments about hitting the weights in a way which really tests your capacity - super sets, minimal rest periods and intervals for cardio. I still do a bit of steady state here and there, but definately not like I used too.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Leg Day

Legs are completely trashed. I have a deep soreness in every inch of my quads, hams, and glutes.

For the past 2 weeks I have been implementing a Bodyweight metabolic leg circuit at the end of my leg day to practice and conditrion myself for the upcoming Workoshop I'm helping Scott with. I'm only doing 1-2 rounds just to practice so it doesn't take away from my current protocol.

Legs

1) Split squat 3 x 6 EL
    2) Single DB Medial split squat 3 x 6-8
    3) Single DB Lateral split squat 3 x 8-10
    4) Alt. BB lunge 3 x 10 EL
    5) BB squats 3 x 30

Bodyweight leg circuit:
    -Single leg split jump x 10 EL
    -Crossover step up x 8-12 EL
    -Step up/reverse lunge combo x 10-15 EL
    -Single leg lunge x 10-20 EL
    -Single leg iso-holds against wall x 30 sec EL

Only 2 more weeks of training, then the Workshop, then 1 week off!

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    Legs are completely trashed. I have a deep soreness in every inch of my quads, hams, and glutes.

For the past 2 weeks I have been implementing a Bodyweight metabolic leg circuit at the end of my leg day to practice and conditrion myself for the upcoming Workoshop I'm helping Scott with. I'm only doing 1-2 rounds just to practice so it doesn't take away from my current protocol.

Legs

1) Split squat 3 x 6 EL
    2) Single DB Medial split squat 3 x 6-8
    3) Single DB Lateral split squat 3 x 8-10
    4) Alt. BB lunge 3 x 10 EL
    5) BB squats 3 x 30

Bodyweight leg circuit:
    -Single leg split jump x 10 EL
    -Crossover step up x 8-12 EL
    -Step up/reverse lunge combo x 10-15 EL
    -Single leg lunge x 10-20 EL
    -Single leg iso-holds against wall x 30 sec EL

Only 2 more weeks of training, then the Workshop, then 1 week off!
    Hey Allen.

Jeez, 3x30 BB squats. How much weight are you using on those?

What's your opinion on DB lunges? Are they effective for quad development?

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Hey Allen.

Jeez, 3x30 BB squats. How much weight are you using on those?

What's your opinion on DB lunges? Are they effective for quad development?
    I think I had 170 lbs on there.

Yes, lunges are great for quad & overall leg development whether you use a BB or DB.

Interesting leg day with crazy high reps. Sets of 30 on squats?? Hell, one 20 rep set is enough to kill someone, haha. So, basically you don't care about weight at all? Just working the muscle you are training. Seems like the standard around the net is always put more weight on the bar and eat more. Care to shed some light on the subject?

House Lannister
    Interesting leg day with crazy high reps. Sets of 30 on squats?? Hell, one 20 rep set is enough to kill someone, haha. So, basically you don't care about weight at all? Just working the muscle you are training. Seems like the standard around the net is always put more weight on the bar and eat more. Care to shed some light on the subject?
    I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on this too, Allen.

When training specifically for development (cosmetics) I could care less how much I lift. My only guideline is if its challenging in whatever rep range I do. I haven't focused on how much I lift since I use to compete in powerlifting. Most don't do 20 or 30 rep squats because they are soo demanding and obviously you have to put less weight on the bar and a lot of peoples ego gets in the way.

There is nothing wrong with increasing strength, but the problems is when people in the industry say the only way to grow or increase muscle mass is to get stronger or add more and more weight to the bar, this just isn't true.

There is a ceiling effect to max strength so what happens when you cant lift more does that mean you can't grow? Of course not. Your muscle only knows how much stress its under not how much weight you are lifting and yes there is a difference. Training the muscle and not the movement is one way to activate more muscle fiber and to target what your trying to develope.

Also training in different ranges and planes of motion outside of traditional lifts will stimulate more muscle activation as well which will induce growth. Learning how to properly lift a weight for a desired effect is what is missing with most when training for muscle development.

Another thing is if you just focus on training intensely and properly stimulating the muscle strength will come overtime. Once I started training the way I train now, after I stopped powerlifting, I gained twice the size I ever did when training just for strength.

Now I'm not saying you should never do low reps as I still surf the strength curve, but if size is your main goal you should mainly stay in the 6-20 rep range and incorporate functional moves as well. Proper program design tailored to the individual is very important.
    Last edited by Allen Cress; 06-23-2010 at 06:17 AM.

Allen-- I love how you always preach "individual" requirements, as it's hard for everyone to be able to gain off of the same program or diet that someone else follows. Your pictures look great BTW. You've added a SOLID 8 pounds.

That last post is great. It definitely is hard to get away from the ego and and lower the weights, or sometimes people don't have the frame of mind to do a set of 30 reps on Squats. I know I've had both problems from time to time.

It's pretty neat to see how your approach to dieting and training is. Over time I've thought of how I want to approach my dieting during the off-season and even pre-contest and it appears that I'm developing a protocol that's similar to the type of dieting approaches that you follow. It might not be the same, but it's pretty interesting and encouraging to see some other folks going along those same lines.

But I don't believe I'm along the exact the same lines as you, I definitely don't go as high as you on your spike days, but I'll be playing aorund with my diet over time. Thus far I've actually leaned out a bit at 195 pounds while following a diet along the lines of what you do with 1-2 "spikes" weekly.

I might have to nab some of Abel's work to read more about it for more guidance on what I'm playing with. I'm accidentally and slowly following your footsteps.
    Last edited by Time+Patience; 06-28-2010 at 10:32 PM.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...