The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Wannabebig Member
    It's all about STRUCTURE, eric

My week off is almost up and I have enjoyed just relaxing and resting all week.

I finished designing my next program yesterday. I am taking a complete Hybrid approach with this one based around Power. The 2 main days the program is built around is 4 sets of 6 reps and these are bi-plexed together. The other days will be complexes and traditional hypertrophy along with plyos as well.

Look forward to starting it Monday.

Wannabebig Member
    Keep us posted Allen, we learn a lot from you, you show us that someone with no exeptional genetics and a normal life and a job can have results in the real world. Like mentor Scott Abel used to say ' hard work pays off '
    eric

Quote Originally Posted by POWERZN View Post
    Keep us posted Allen, we learn a lot from you, you show us that someone with no exeptional genetics and a normal life and a job can have results in the real world. Like mentor Scott Abel used to say ' hard work pays off '
    eric
    Thanks, I will keep you guys up to date. Hard and consistent work pays off always. I remember when I started competing I weighed 130lbs and Now 16 years later I'm a solid 210. Long road but well worth it.

Wannabebig Member
    You must be a real inspiration for your gym members, eric

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    My week off is almost up and I have enjoyed just relaxing and resting all week.

I finished designing my next program yesterday. I am taking a complete Hybrid approach with this one based around Power. The 2 main days the program is built around is 4 sets of 6 reps and these are bi-plexed together. The other days will be complexes and traditional hypertrophy along with plyos as well.

Look forward to starting it Monday.
    That sounds awesome, can't wait to see what the program looks like!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Back to Training

Today was my first day back to training after 9 days off. Today was a power based day and as you can see not your traditional bodypart split, which should show people, physique competitors especially that stepping outside the box is a good thing and is needed for bettyer development if placed properly.

1A) Squats 4 x 6
    1B) One arm DB snatch 4 x 3 each arm

2A) Incline DB press 4 x 6
    2B) BB bent row 4 x 6

3A) DB shoulder press 4 x 6
    3B) Pressdowns 4 x 6-8

4A) BB curl 4 x 6-8
    4B) Cable crunches 4 x 12-15

I will use the first week back as a break-in period and gradually build up intensity over that time and be back to 100% next week.

Wannabebig Member
    Seems like a real challange such a program. How do you warm up if you go to a different muscle like the dumbell presses, do you work up the weight with 2 light sets before doing 4 X 6 reps or can you handle this without real warming up sets.
    Doing heavy moves warms up the body totaly but still have to be carefull for injuries.
    I personally would do 2 light sets before going to the real sets but I am always afraid that people blindly would copy your program and injure themselves, eric

bon courage demain my friend

Before anything I always do some GPP warm ups then do physical rehersal warm ups until I'm ready to go. If I do incline presses which is a different plane of motion than the previous exercise I just do 2-3 warm ups pyramiding up then start my working sets
    Last edited by Allen Cress; 11-08-2010 at 04:35 PM.

Thanks for the awesome journal. It's both inspiring and educational.

Two part question.

1a) What usually causes you to switch up programs? Most people try something new when their strength gains start to slow down, but your programs seem based around quality reps and volume. How do you know when it's time for a change?

1b) Have you lost any strength and if so, how much? I read that you used to be a powerlifter, and I'm curious how often you test your old PRs. Does your newer training method carry over to 1 RM's or take away from them?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Decent View Post
    Thanks for the awesome journal. It's both inspiring and educational.

Two part question.

1a) What usually causes you to switch up programs? Most people try something new when their strength gains start to slow down, but your programs seem based around quality reps and volume. How do you know when it's time for a change?

1b) Have you lost any strength and if so, how much? I read that you used to be a powerlifter, and I'm curious how often you test your old PRs. Does your newer training method carry over to 1 RM's or take away from them?

Thanks again.
    1a) I listen to my body's bio-feedback when it comes to changing things. There is more than one factor involved, things such as energy levels, concentration levels, appetite, achy joints, strength density decline, etc.... to name a few. My programs are based on my current needs state and what I did previously has to do with what i do next as well.

1b) I could honestly care less what my 1RM is as it has nothing to do with my goals. I havent done a 1RM since I competed in powerlifting and in general unless you are a competitive powerlifter doing a 1RM has no benefit or payoff in training or athletics.

I train for development and strength just comes naturally without thinking too much about it or worrying about what percentage of a weight I am lifting. I just use a weight that is challenging for whatever rep scheme I am using and train hard. I think way too many people get caught up in percentages and numbers and it takes away from the training itself. Train intense and results will come and don't force it by thinking you have to always put more and more weight on the bar.

I'm not saying you should train light , but train as heavy as you can in the rep range you're using with good form.

That makes sense. I guess it's just easier for people (self included) to gauge progress by using raw numbers. It takes a while to break out of that mindset.

Good advice though, thanks.
    "To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing."
    - Timothy Ferriss

"Trying to get everyone to like you is a sign of mediocrity."
    - Colin Powell

Here was my Leg focus day:

1) Leg press 4 x 12-15

Quad Blast: 3 sets
    2a) BW speed squats x 25
    2b) Long jump leaps from crouch position x 10-15
    2c) Alternating Reverse lunges x 24
    2d) Squat jumps x 10-12
    2e) Duck walks x max

3a) Step ups 3 x 10-12
    3b) Preacher curl 3 x 8-10

4a) Leg extentions 3 x 12-15
    4b) Alternating Zottman curl 3 x 10

Wannabebig Member
    Allen, one quick question : the bicep exercises are they meant as unloading and do they come back at another day or is your bicep program integrated in your leg workout for another reason ? eric

Allen, one quick question : the bicep exercises are they meant as unloading and do they come back at another day or is your bicep program integrated in your leg workout for another reason ? eric
    Unloading can only be done without load, in which this is not the case. I have a certain amount of volume for biceps for the week and different rep ranges and I bi-plex them for metabolic payoff as well.

Day 5

1a) Deadlifts 4 x 6
    1b) Flat DB press 4 x 6

2a) DB Clean and press 4 x 6
    2b) One arm T-bar row 4 x 6

3a) DB High pulls 4 x 6
    3b) Overhead rope extention 4 x 8-10

4a) One arm push up 4 x 6 each arm
    4b) Reverse pressdown 4 x 12-15

Upper and mid back are sore as hell.

First week back complete now its time to crank intensity up 100%

Complexes & Conditioning:

1a) Shrugs 3 x 10-15
    1b) Seated side laterals 3 x 15
    1c) Bent DB laterals 3 x 12-15
    1d) 2 arm Front DB swing 3 x 10-15
    1e) Alternating DB Overhead press 3 x 10-12 each arm

2a) Sit outs 3 x 10-12 each side
    2b) Contralateral Hand to Toe touch 3 x 8-12 each side
    2c) ABC Head to toe Cable crunch 3 x 15
    2d) SB Step Offs 3 x 8-12 each side

3a) SB hip extention 3 x 15
    3b) Leg curls 3 x 8-15
    3c) Glute/Ham raise 3 x 10-15
    3d) One arm/ one leg deadlift 3 x 12-15 each

Allen, do you do any recreational athletic events on the side like playing basketball, MMA, or whatever else? If so, I imagine that gets factored into the programming, right?

Quote Originally Posted by DavisK View Post
    Allen, do you do any recreational athletic events on the side like playing basketball, MMA, or whatever else? If so, I imagine that gets factored into the programming, right?
    Not really, I use to do MMA and play basketball here and there but not anymore, don't have the time.

Chest & Back recovery/isolation day

1a) Close grip pulldown 3 x 12-15
    1b) Flat DB fly 3 x 12-15

2a) TRX push up 3 x 15-20
    2b) Recline pull ups 3 x 12-15

3a) Cable pull outs 3 x 12-15
    3b) Cable crossover 3 x 15

4a) Alternating DB press off SB 3 x 12 EA
    4b) Straight arm pulldown 3 x 15

Calves

My diet is currently at 4500 per day and weight is at 212 lbs. I look to get up to around 220 in the next 10 weeks. I have a mild case of medial epicondolytis (golfers elbow) and I am getting ART done every week to take care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    Chest & Back recovery/isolation day

1a) Close grip pulldown 3 x 12-15
    1b) Flat DB fly 3 x 12-15

2a) TRX push up 3 x 15-20
    2b) Recline pull ups 3 x 12-15

3a) Cable pull outs 3 x 12-15
    3b) Cable crossover 3 x 15

4a) Alternating DB press off SB 3 x 12 EA
    4b) Straight arm pulldown 3 x 15

Calves

My diet is currently at 4500 per day and weight is at 212 lbs. I look to get up to around 220 in the next 10 weeks. I have a mild case of medial epicondolytis (golfers elbow) and I am getting ART done every week to take care of it.
    Are you still on the CD incorporating 1.5 cheats days? I know that your current program is not a traditional body part split. What does the weekly breakdown look like then or does it change every week?

Quote Originally Posted by DavisK View Post
    Are you still on the CD incorporating 1.5 cheats days? I know that your current program is not a traditional body part split. What does the weekly breakdown look like then or does it change every week?
    I haven't been on the cycle diet since July. I usually have 1-2 cheat meals a week. Since my calories are so high I rarely ever have cravings and since I've decided to take all next year off from competing I will more than likely continue to bulk to add as much quality size as possible .

As far as my split days are broken down into 2 power days consisting of 6 reps , 1 leg focus day, 1 chest/back isolation day, and a complex day consisting of shoulders, core, & hams/glutes. Certain exercises are rotated each week.

Wannabebig Member
    Allen, looking at the calories you were eating at the end of the preparation of your last contest you went down to around 2200 kcals. Now you are eating around 4500 kcals and maybe it will higher within a few months when you get heavier. How do you handle the hunger after a few weeks on a diet, I mean being used to eating between 4000 and 5000 kcals for more then a year and going below 3000 kcals it must be phychological difficult no matter what the conditioning will be at the end and would you be able to go all the way to being ripped if there was no contest planned and only doing this for yourself, eric

Allen, looking at the calories you were eating at the end of the preparation of your last contest you went down to around 2200 kcals. Now you are eating around 4500 kcals and maybe it will higher within a few months when you get heavier. How do you handle the hunger after a few weeks on a diet, I mean being used to eating between 4000 and 5000 kcals for more then a year and going below 3000 kcals it must be phychological difficult no matter what the conditioning will be at the end and would you be able to go all the way to being ripped if there was no contest planned and only doing this for yourself, eric
    For me its the same every contest, never harder. Hunger is just part of the process and I don't look at it as anything more than a fat burning signal. Because my calories are soo high in off season I actually look forward to dieting because of the amount I have to eat in off season.

I would never get myself as conditioned as I do for contest just for myself because its not a sustainable condition and has no relevance other than a contest or photo shoot. Mentality is one of the biggest factors when leaning out and I never have an issue because as an athlete that's just my natural mentality.
    Last edited by Allen Cress; 11-28-2010 at 03:43 PM.

This past week I increased my calories and now they are averaging about 5000-5500 a day depending on if I'm able to eat an 8th meal. My weight was stuck around 210 for the last 3-4 weeks and appetite was fine so we'll see where this takes me.

Example day:

1) 5 whole eggs, 1 cup egg whites
    3 shredded wheat biscuits
    2 tbsp natural peanut butter

2) 3 scoops nitrean
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1 1/4 cup rice

3) 220g chicken
    300g potato
    2 servings almonds

4) 3 scoops whey isolate
    16oz apple juice