The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    This past week I increased my calories and now they are averaging about 5000-5500 a day depending on if I'm able to eat an 8th meal. My weight was stuck around 210 for the last 3-4 weeks and appetite was fine so we'll see where this takes me.

Example day:

1) 5 whole eggs, 1 cup egg whites
    3 shredded wheat biscuits
    2 tbsp natural peanut butter

2) 3 scoops nitrean
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1 1/4 cup rice

3) 220g chicken
    300g potato
    2 servings almonds

4) 3 scoops whey isolate
    16oz apple juice
    1 scoop waixemaize

5) 200g beef
    300g potato
    1 serving almonds

6) 4 scoops maximus
    1 tbsp olive oil

7) 7 whole eggs
    1/2 cup grape nuts

8) 3 scoops nitrean
    2 tbsp olive oil
    How do you consume the olive oil?

Quote Originally Posted by DavisK View Post
    How do you consume the olive oil?
    I just mix it in with my shakes

Wannabebig Member
    Allen, while eating that much calories can you still see your abs and does your face get bloated ?
    Most people, including me look like being are on a heavy steroid cycle while being on more than 3000 kcals.
    ERIC

Quote Originally Posted by POWERZN View Post
    Allen, while eating that much calories can you still see your abs and does your face get bloated ?
    Most people, including me look like being are on a heavy steroid cycle while being on more than 3000 kcals.
    ERIC
    I can still see the outline of my abs. I never get too bloated unless I eat a lot of processd food or restaurant food. I do hold water but nothing crazy. Its definitley all individual. I store most of my fat in my low back and glutes.

Wannabebig Member
    In my case my legs, back, even glutes stay pretty lean but all the fat goes to my lower abs and a bit to my inner legs and that is really disturbing cause you always look like being out of shape.
    Of course this is feedback to how your body reacts on the food you eat and it tells what kind of bodytype you are. eric

Wannabebig Member
    Allen, how many days a week do you workout ? And is it weekly the same, exemple the power days on a certain day, leg oriented day on a certain day ...... thanks, eric

As far as my split days are broken down into 2 power days consisting of 6 reps , 1 leg focus day, 1 chest/back isolation day, and a complex day consisting of shoulders, core, & hams/glutes. Certain exercises are rotated each week.
    Eric, maybe this could answer your question somewhat.

Allen, how many days a week do you workout ? And is it weekly the same, exemple the power days on a certain day, leg oriented day on a certain day ...... thanks, eric
    I workout 5 days per week. Each day is on the same day every week .

Wannabebig Member
    Allen, from looking at your diet you seem to eat a lot more protein than you use to eat, in grams it's a lot but in % it's of course logical at that many calories, eric

Allen, from looking at your diet you seem to eat a lot more protein than you use to eat, in grams it's a lot but in % it's of course logical at that many calories, eric
    Its all relative to the calorie intake, which is how I always design it. Protein is important but the protein sparing nutrients are just as important. Too many people just focus on protein intake not realizing that if carbs and fats aren't where they need to be you will use protein for fuel instaed of rebuilding muscle.

Wannabebig Member
    Allen, how do you compare the intensity of your training in relation to the period you were dieting on 1500 kcals a few years ago, the period before it was discovered that your metabolism is unique, Eric

Allen, how do you compare the intensity of your training in relation to the period you were dieting on 1500 kcals a few years ago, the period before it was discovered that your metabolism is unique, Eric
    My training intensity was just as high then as it is now. The calories I was taking in is what my body functioned off off then and over time as I increased my metabolic rate and lean mass the calories were adjusted due to my body's bio feedback . Also when I was at 1500 cal I was on cycle diet with 1 & half re-feed days.

My training intensity was just as high then as it is now. The calories I was taking in is what my body functioned off off then and over time as I increased my metabolic rate and lean mass the calories were adjusted due to my body's bio feedback . Also when I was at 1500 cal I was on cycle diet with 1 & half re-feed days.
    How much did you weigh at that time?

Quote Originally Posted by DavisK View Post
    How much did you weigh at that time?
    I think about 190 lbs off season.

After being on my 7-8 meals for the last 2 weeks my weight hit an all time high of 224lbs. Everything is progressing nicely and with a full year left for my off-season I should make some good gains. Im still dealing with a slight case of elbow pain but it only effects direct ARM work. My orthopedic is having me get an MRI done next week to make sure its not some rare issue, can't remember what he called it.

Power day 2

1a) partial deadlift 4 x 6
    1b) flat BB press 4 x 6

2a) BB clean & press 4 x 6
    2b) one ARM t-bar row 4 x 6

3a) BB high pull 4 x6
    3b) rope pressdown 4 x 10

4a) one ARM pushups 3 x 6 EA
    4b) lying DB extension 3 x 12-15

Wannabebig Member
    Allen where can we see how the one arm T-BAR rows is done, I have an idea but still... eric

Allen where can we see how the one arm T-BAR rows is done, I have an idea but still... eric
    There isn't one. I just put an Olympic bar in the corner, load up 25lb plates , use a staggered stance and do a row. You get a really good stretch doing these.

Wannabebig Member
    Hi Allen, yesterday I did a tryout out your power day nr 1, I did 3 instead of 4 sets and had to search for the right weight . This training being a piece of your new 5 day training is an event on itself, from what I felt yesterday
    ( huge oxygen dept ) from doing 2 compound movements in biplex I think this program is something you can't do for more than 8 weeks for danger of overtraining and certainly something people can't do with not enough calories in their bodies. eric

Hi Allen, yesterday I did a tryout out your power day nr 1, I did 3 instead of 4 sets and had to search for the right weight . This training being a piece of your new 5 day training is an event on itself, from what I felt yesterday
    ( huge oxygen dept ) from doing 2 compound movements in biplex I think this program is something you can't do for more than 8 weeks for danger of overtraining and certainly something people can't do with not enough calories in their bodies. eric
    There is never a set period of how long to do any program that is completely individual. I am on my 8th week and look to go another 3-4 weeks. You have to remember proper progression of programs overtime will increase ones workload capacity and be able to handle higher end program like the one I'm currently on. This definitley not something a beginner should do.

I still feeel really good and actually have gotten stronger these past couple weeks. I never force strength by contstanly putting weight on bar every week , I just listen to my body and when it feels stronger I increase weight. Too many people always try to put more and more on the bar and try to force their body to get stronger and this can lead to injury. You will get stroger overtime but you have to coax the body to do so not force it.

Power day 1

1a) Squats 4 x 6, 340lbs
    1b) BB snatch from Hang 4 x 6, 140lbs

2a) Incline DB press 4 x 6, 110lbs
    2b) BB row 4 x 6, 175lbs

3a) Hammer S. Shoulder Press 4 x 6, 110lbs per side
    3b) Pressdown 4 x 6-8, 120lbs

4a) Cable curl 4 x 6-8, 80lbs
    4b) Lying leg raises 4 x 12-20

My weight is hanging around 221-224 and I am going to just maintain this weight for a few months before trying to gain more. My body is at that point where it will be somewhat uncomfortable to go any higher and my appetite has also decreased as well. This is where you nevber force your body to try and gain weight or you will just put on non-functional weight which is not what i want.

Wannabebig Member
    Allen, these are pretty impressive weights for a natural bodybuilder, I guess you always were strong.
    Keep up the good work and stay motivated , you are a inspiration for a lot of us, eric

Leg focus

1a) Leg press 4 x 12-15, 9plates per side
    1b) Cable side lateral 4 x 15-20, 20lbs
    1c) Cable curl 4 x 10-12, 80 lbs

2a) BW squats on Bosu (bubble side down) 3 x 30
    2b) BW Alternating Lunge 3 x 15 Each
    2c) Leg extentions from plank 3 x 20-30
    2d) Gliding hamstring curl 3 x max

3) Step ups 3 x 10-12, 115 lbs

4a) Leg extention 3 x 15, 170 lbs
    4b) TRX T raise 3 x 15
    4c) Preacher curl 3 x 12-15, 70lbs

Wannabebig Member
    Allen, in this leg focus day you use a non-balistic quad blast instead of a explosif quad blast.
    Has this a special reason or is it only for keeping the joints healthy, it's easy to overtrain on explosif
    movements.
    This is a hybrid approach for sure, it makes you feel more allround athlete instead of doing traditional bodybuilding and still have the effect of muscles growing bigger, eric

Allen, in this leg focus day you use a non-balistic quad blast instead of a explosif quad blast.
    Has this a special reason or is it only for keeping the joints healthy, it's easy to overtrain on explosif
    movements.
    This is a hybrid approach for sure, it makes you feel more allround athlete instead of doing traditional bodybuilding and still have the effect of muscles growing bigger, eric
    Because of the heavier weights I'm using in this program it is used everyother week to take it easy on my joints. I will get more growth out of the next program because of this one due to CNS demand and its carry over effect to traditional training. A perfect example of proper program progression.

I am starting my 10th week on this program and look to do 2-3 more weeks max before taking a week off. Joints are feeling it a little and taking a bit longer to warm up as well.

As far as diet, since dropping my calories I feel great and performance has increased in gym. I'm holding around 219lbs and will probably stay right around here for about 3 months before trying to gain more.