The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Looking to gain strength over mass, is this a decent powerlifting routine?

So I decided this summer I wanna try powerlifting style reps and focus on the 4 main lifts to help me get stronger rather than bulkier. (was doing WBB routine 1) I was searching around online and found this routine and it seemed to me like it would be a good start for an intermediate lifter like myself...Highlights each main lift with a few accessories per day and stays pretty balanced when comparing amount of work performed by upper and lower body. Thoughts and criticism appreciated!

Mon: Bench 2-3 x 4/ 1x max
    DB Bench 8,6,6,4
    Weighted Dip 4-6 x 4
    Row 10,8,8,6,4

Wed: Squat 2-3 x 4/1 x max
    Leg Curl 4-6 x 4
    Leg Extension 4-6 x 4
    Calf Raise 15 x 4

Fri: OH press 6 x 4
    Incline 6 x 4
    Front Raise 8 x 4
    Close Grip 10,8,6,4
    Crushers 6-8 x 4

Sat: Deads 6-8 x 6
    Leg Curl 10 x 4
    Smith Lunges 6 per leg x 5
    Calf Raise 15 x 4

insert cardio and abs on off days
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 175

B: 255x1 DL: 375x1 SQ: work in progress

Goals: B-275 D-400 S-275 Weight- 180

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by sbirgel View Post
    So I decided this summer I wanna try powerlifting style reps and focus on the 4 main lifts to help me get stronger rather than bulkier. (was doing WBB routine 1) I was searching around online and found this routine and it seemed to me like it would be a good start for an intermediate lifter like myself...Highlights each main lift with a few accessories per day and stays pretty balanced when comparing amount of work performed by upper and lower body. Thoughts and criticism appreciated!

DB Bench 8,6,6,4
    Weighted Dip 4-6 x 4
    Row 10,8,8,6,4

Leg Curl 4-6 x 4
    Leg Extension 4-6 x 4
    Calf Raise 15 x 4

Incline 6 x 4
    Front Raise 8 x 4
    Close Grip 10,8,6,4
    Crushers 6-8 x 4

Leg Curl 10 x 4
    Calf Raise 15 x 4

Dumbell or Barbell lunges
    Height:6ft 2in

Stats:
    working on it

Leg Curl 10 x 4
    Calf Raise 15 x 4
    Don't ever use the Smith Machine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

If you are looking for strength with no size gain... I believe standard rep/set protocol would be in the 1-5 set range x 1-4 rep range. High intensity, low volume.

Also be sure to be eating at maintenance calories.
    Last edited by Raleighwood; 05-04-2010 at 06:30 AM.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

DB Bench 8,6,6,4
    Weighted Dip 4-6 x 4
    Row 10,8,8,6,4

Leg Curl 4-6 x 4
    Leg Extension 4-6 x 4
    Calf Raise 15 x 4

Incline 6 x 4
    Front Raise 8 x 4
    Close Grip 10,8,6,4
    Crushers 6-8 x 4

Leg Curl 10 x 4
    Calf Raise 15 x 4

Listen, I usually don't criticize a guys workout, because I usually think to each their own and most things will work for awhile. But I do see things here that I'm uncomfortable with and most of my background is strength buidling / powerlifting.

If you really like this split then I'll tell you that I don't mind the assistance work on Mon. and Fri. so much, but I do not like the assistance work at all on the lower body days. On all of your main lifts I'd rather see you do linear periodization that the constant 2-3 x 4 w/ a max each week or the constant 6 x 4.

Deadlifting heavy every week can burn your CNS out. Using the same heavy reps each week can burn your CNS out. When that happens you fall into overtraining and gains stop.

I'd much rather see you put a 5 x 5 program in place for Squat and Dead and it may work for all these lifts when you're talking about doing this over the course of a whole summer.

Assistance work for Squat shouldn't be such small isolating lifts. I like things like front squat, or hip sled, barbell lunges, good mornings. For deadlifts: Stiff leg deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts, good mornings, Glute ham raises, reverse hypers and hyperextensions. Then work calves.

In case you don't find what you're looking for when searching, here's a simple linear progression that I've used with many lifters on the bench and the close grips. We've also used it for squats with success.

Week 1 = 5 x 10 @ 65% of max. Wk 2 = 5 x 8 @ 72%, Wk 3 = 5 x 6 @ 79%, Wk 4 = 5 x 4 @ 86%, Wk 5 = 5 x 3 @ 90%, Wk 6 = Double old max = 1 x 2 @ 100% (Then go home, this is a deload week), Wk 7 = find new max.

Other programs are Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 and Westside for Skinny Bastards and Westside Barbell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post
    Listen, I usually don't criticize a guys workout, because I usually think to each their own and most things will work for awhile. But I do see things here that I'm uncomfortable with and most of my background is strength buidling / powerlifting.

If you really like this split then I'll tell you that I don't mind the assistance work on Mon. and Fri. so much, but I do not like the assistance work at all on the lower body days. On all of your main lifts I'd rather see you do linear periodization that the constant 2-3 x 4 w/ a max each week or the constant 6 x 4.

Deadlifting heavy every week can burn your CNS out. Using the same heavy reps each week can burn your CNS out. When that happens you fall into overtraining and gains stop.

I'd much rather see you put a 5 x 5 program in place for Squat and Dead and it may work for all these lifts when you're talking about doing this over the course of a whole summer.

Assistance work for Squat shouldn't be such small isolating lifts. I like things like front squat, or hip sled, barbell lunges, good mornings. For deadlifts: Stiff leg deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts, good mornings, Glute ham raises, reverse hypers and hyperextensions. Then work calves.

In case you don't find what you're looking for when searching, here's a simple linear progression that I've used with many lifters on the bench and the close grips. We've also used it for squats with success.

Week 1 = 5 x 10 @ 65% of max. Wk 2 = 5 x 8 @ 72%, Wk 3 = 5 x 6 @ 79%, Wk 4 = 5 x 4 @ 86%, Wk 5 = 5 x 3 @ 90%, Wk 6 = Double old max = 1 x 2 @ 100% (Then go home, this is a deload week), Wk 7 = find new max.

Other programs are Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 and Westside for Skinny Bastards and Westside Barbell.
    Thanks for this I think I'm gonna change it up and incorporate a lot of what you said.
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 175

B: 255x1 DL: 375x1 SQ: work in progress

Goals: B-275 D-400 S-275 Weight- 180

Try 5/3/1. Its exactly what you're looking for.

As far as the routine you posted, I dont like some of your accessory exercises that much. The biggest issue is that you havent outlined your progression scheme. IMO that is the best part about 5/3/1. You need a plan for what weight you will lift when you go to the gym for each set and when you will increase and by how much. You can just go in and do it arbitrarily if you want but within 1-3 months you'll hit a wall.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...?m=PD&pid=2976

It's well worth the $19.99!
    Stefan
    Height: 6'4 - Weight: 235 lbs - Age: 31
    DL: 530 x 1
    Squat: 355 x 1
    Bench: 350 x 1

Thanks for this I think I'm gonna change it up and incorporate a lot of what you said.
    Good luck with your training.

All those little isolation things aren't going to help you much at all...like the guys above said read the 5/3/1 and set your training up like that. There is a 5/3/1 for powerlifting coming out in the future....so if you do the regular one first for a while you will have something to go to and continue on and you will know how to respond to it.
    My Log: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132038

"Train to be a mother****er" -Jim Wendler