Thread: Stop or keep going (bulk)?

Stop or keep going (bulk)?

I wish I had a "before" picture, but I don't. I started bulking at 160 and I am now at 170 and will continue through summer (I am 5'9"). I always lag behind when doing bulks in winter and I felt that I don't care if I look like a fatass through summer. I want to be well prepared and have a good cut for next summer. Anyways, here is what I look like at 170 lbs at the end of the day with a belly full of food:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Should I keep going or do I have too much excess fat? My goal is to reach 195 and cut down to 175 and be sitting at around 12% bf which sounds reasonable? Any estimation on what my bf% is currently sitting at?
    Last edited by Morox; 05-04-2010 at 11:24 PM.

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Morox View Post
    I wish I had a "before" picture, but I don't. I started bulking at 160 and I am now at 170 and will continue through summer (I am 5'9"). I always lag behind when doing bulks in winter and I felt that I don't care if I look like a fatass through summer. I want to be well prepared and have a good cut for next summer. Anyways, here is what I look like at 170 lbs at the end of the day with a belly full of food:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Should I keep going or do I have too much excess fat? My goal is to reach 195 and cut down to 175 and be sitting at around 12% bf which sounds reasonable? Any estimation on what my bf% is currently sitting at?
    How quickly did you gain the weight?

I don't think you look FAT. You obviously have some muscle but your bodyfat looks like it's in the 15% range or so. Are you flexed or relaxed in this picture? I would maybe just do a recomp, where you stay at the same weight but just get leaner. Start adding some cardio on off days and clean up the diet and you should drop a few BF %'s and stay right around the same weight.

Your goals are your goals, but to me, reaching 195 lbs at 5'9' on ONE bulk seems like you're going to be putting on mostly fat. You could reach that bulk weight with a few cycles, but I'd suggest going to 185 at the highest and then cutting back down to 170-175. Other more experienced members can give you more input on this, but you should be able to get much leaner than 12% on a cut, especially since you look around 15% now. I'd say if you wanna keep bulking, bulk to about 180-185, then cut down to 170-175 at 8-10%. At 5'9", you won't look small at all at 170 and you'll look pretty dense with low bodyfat. Check out Behemoth's old bulk and cut pictures. I think he's about 5'8-5'9 and looks pretty good when he's cut at 170-ish.

Hope I helped out a little bit.

I am relaxed in the picture. I gained roughly 8-10 lbs (I can't recall EXACTLY what I weighed before the bulk) within a month and a half. I am aiming to gain 1.5 lbs a week. I guess I will see how I look once I get to 185 lbs and go from there.

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Morox View Post
    I am relaxed in the picture. I gained roughly 8-10 lbs (I can't recall EXACTLY what I weighed before the bulk) within a month and a half. I am aiming to gain 1.5 lbs a week. I guess I will see how I look once I get to 185 lbs and go from there.
    That's an awful lot of weight bro. If you just want to bulk up that's a fine goal, but I think you're better off shootin' for .5-1lb a week instead. Otherwise you're going to put on a lot of fat, which may be fine if you're just going for straight mass, but if you wanna do it a bit slower and go for a lb of week I think you'd start to see leaner gains. I don't know what your final goals are tho so. Again, I'm not a bulking expert but I've read my fair share of info and that's what I usually see as being a good goal: .5-1lb a week. What's your diet look like? Macros? Do you eat pretty clean? Are you taking circumference measurements of arms, thighs, chest, waist, etc? Caliper measurements?

For a relaxed shot you look pretty good. Some flexed shots would help a bit with estimating bodyfat percentage also (no homo). What I find helps is to take a video instead, as still photos can be deceiving.