Thread: sumo DL

Hybrid View

sumo DL

What is the difference in muscle recruitment between conventional DL and SumoDL?
    What sort of body structure is considered a candidate for sumo?-long torso? what sort of torso to leg ratio?
    Also, after reading alot about structural balance and glute activation etc. I seem to have a prominent anterior pelvic tilt so would pulling sumo be better when trying to correct this dysfunction?

Conventional DL involves more lower back and less hips. Sumo is less strain on the back and more on the hips. You should train both, but in a contest you'd pull which ever way you were strongest. For me in highschool meets (long time ago) I was pulling around 450 Conv. and switched to sumo. I was able to pull the same weight with much less back pain. I'm a wide stance squater with more power in my hips and legs so the switch was great for me. I'm 6'0 with average length arms, torso and legs so maybe this is why sumo works for me. Supposedly good Conv. DL build is short torso, long arms and long legs. This is also usually not ideal for benching.

Supposedly good Conv. DL build is short torso, long arms and long legs. This is also usually not ideal for benching.
    Well, that's me you just described, and I highly disagree. Of course I realize my opinion doesn't necessarily reflect that of the entire short-torsoed/long-limbed population. you're dead on about the benching, though

Anyways, maybe i'm wrong but from what i've observed it seems like about 90% of deadlifters can lift more going sumo than conventional, regardless of how they're shaped. I also think it's safer (easier to keep the back from rounding, easier to hold form at the end of a set).
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

I'm about 6'2" and have long arms,legs and torso so what style would be better suited to this structure.
    I may go sumo anyway to protect the back more.I'm doing WS4SB so will be doing rdls or gms for my third lift on lower day. Also what is the difference in hamstring and glute recruitment as regards sumo or conventional.

Quote Originally Posted by alert20 View Post
    I'm about 6'2" and have long arms,legs and torso so what style would be better suited to this structure.
    I may go sumo anyway to protect the back more.I'm doing WS4SB so will be doing rdls or gms for my third lift on lower day. Also what is the difference in hamstring and glute recruitment as regards sumo or conventional.
    In the Westside Barbell Book of Methods, Louie Simmons writes that the best structure for Conv. Deadlifters is usually short torso with long arms and legs. I am not built this way and I prefer Sumo over Conv. when doing my best. That said you should train both as one will complement the other. Conv. should affect your lower back more. Sumo should recruit more glutes, hips and hammies.

Also look at what assistance exercises could help each lift. A Conv. DL is similar to a high squat so high box squats with a narrower stance could help a Conv. DL. Wide stance squating could help Sumo DL and so on. There are several variations of Good mornings that could help each lift. I also like doing heavy barbell lunges, front squats and hip sled with a wide foot placement.

[QUOTE=Dgro;2332094]Well, that's me you just described, and I highly disagree. Of course I realize my opinion doesn't necessarily reflect that of the entire short-torsoed/long-limbed population. you're dead on about the benching, though

Dgro, are you suggesting that you're not a good deadlifter? or that it's not your best lift? In looking at your stats It looks like it's much better than your bench and squat and pretty good for your size.
    Last edited by Jay1; 05-11-2010 at 09:31 PM.

Dgro, are you suggesting that you're not a good deadlifter? or that it's not your best lift? In looking at your stats It looks like it's much better than your bench and squat and pretty good for your size.
    You said: "Supposedly good Conv. DL build is short torso, long arms and long legs. This is also usually not ideal for benching. "

I'm just saying, that is my body type you just described there (short torso, long limbs), and I like Sumo a lot more than Conventional. I'm not saying you're wrong (especially if Louie Simmons agrees with you), just offering my two cents about it.

But like I said before, almost everyone I know pulls more Sumo than Conventional. I'm not sure if it's a beginner / non-competitive lifter thing, and that you don't start to see the benefits of Conventional until you're extremely experienced ala the guys Louie Simmons works with. Or maybe I just got a really ****ed up crowd at my weight room, lol

And yeah, no, I think Deadlift as far and away my best lift.
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird