The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Thrust's HCT-12 Journal

I'm new here (long-time lurker). I just finished reading all three articles and am going to work on a routine, which I'll post later. I will likely do the 4-day split (aka, ABAB). Now, I have to work on the nutrition side of things.

Will update later

Diet: 2380 calories

Meal 1:
    2 scoops whey (will likely substitute w/ eggs)**
    1 banana
    32g Nat. More Peanut Butter

Meal 2:
    1 scoop whey
    3 fish oil pills

Meal 3:
    4oz. Grass-fed ground beef (93/7)
    2 cups Spinach mix
    1 serving Parmesan Cheese (grated)
    Balsamic Vinaigrette Salad Spray
    1 Ezekiel Sprouted Grain Muffin
    3 fish oil pills

Meal 4 (PWO):
    1 scoop whey
    40g dextrose

Meal 5 (dinner):
    8oz. Chicken Breast
    46g. Long grain brown rice
    1 cup Asparagus

Meal 6 (bed):
    2 scoops whey
    32g. Naturally More PB
    3 fish oil pills

ABAB Program:

Day 1-A

Barbell Row:
    45x12; 65x10; 75x8; 95x6; 115x6; 125x6; 135x6+2+3+2

Bench Press:
    95x10; 105x10; 135x6; 155x6; 165x6+2+2+2

Rack Chins:
    BWx6; BWx6; BWx4 (I'm carrying around 50lbs. of extra fat. Gonna take some time with these)

Standing DB Press:
    30x6; 35x6; 40x6; 40x6+2+2+2

Dips:
    BWx6; BWx6; BWx6+2+2+2
    Last edited by Thrust; 05-10-2010 at 03:27 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Looking forward to watching your progress.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Glad to see you come out of lurking status

So what are your goals over the next 12 weeks Thrust?

I gaurantee once you get that diet locked down, you'll fly!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Welcome to the posting world, Thrust! What's your current weight/height? That diet looks real solid, like Daniel said, if you stick to it, you'll see HUGE results! What's your workout history like? Or is this your first program?
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Old My 5-3-1 Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132576

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    Glad to see you come out of lurking status

So what are your goals over the next 12 weeks Thrust?

I gaurantee once you get that diet locked down, you'll fly!
    Over the next 12 weeks I'd like to get under 15% BF. I'm currently in the mid-20% range. I'm still tweaking the diet a bit, I believe there's a bit too much protein powder and I could probably reduce the carbs/increase fats.

We'll see. I tend to get really lethargic on a low-carb or Keto diet, which kills my desire to lift.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMass View Post
    Welcome to the posting world, Thrust! What's your current weight/height? That diet looks real solid, like Daniel said, if you stick to it, you'll see HUGE results! What's your workout history like? Or is this your first program?
    Thanks for the kind welcome!

As noted, the diet's shaping up. I still need to make some tweaks, but this should be close to my everyday meal plan.

I'm 5'9" and, embarrassingly, 220lbs. My history goes something like this:

Spring 2006: 252lbs. Out of breath after climbing 2 flights of stairs. Realized I'm probably not going to live much longer being so unhealthy. Walking through the mall, catch a glimpse of myself in a mirror. I literally dwarfed my wife.

Knew it was time for a change. Found johnstonefitness. Improved my nutrition, started lifting, and implemented cardio.

Spring 2007: 165lbs and 12-13% BF. Felt good!

Fall 2007: Decided to bulk. Lifted heavy (for about a month), bulk went from clean to dirty. Result: 205lbs. carrying too much fat.

Winter 2008: Hooked up with Chris Januz (Swolecat) and started SGX. Dropped to 160lbs. by May. Picked up quite a bit of strength, but always felt tired. In retrospect, my calories and carbs were too low for such an intense workout schedule (7 day week cardio/4 day week lifting). End results were pretty good, however.

Fall 2008: Decided to bulk again [this is my problem area]. Knew enough about nutrition to implement a solid plan. Focused on heavy compound lifts, using a 4-day split. Gained a good amount of strength and some size.

Around Christmas of 2008, my bulk went awry. I'm a doctoral student (graduate on Sunday!!) and I just gave up on lifting and proper nutrition. Started drinking beer, eating pizza, and falling back into old habits. This led to a feeling of disgust. I'd put so much effort into, not only the workouts, but in gaining the knowledge; I'd spent hundreds of hours research nutrition and physiology. I made a few half-assed attempts to reignite my lifting program, but my professional life kept getting in the way.

Spring 2010: Time to turn it around. As I noted above, with the completion of my doctoral program, I feel I can finally rededicate myself to my fitness goals. I have a supportive wife, the equipment, and the knowledge. Hopefully, I can push through another cut

That's quite the history bro... You've definitely got the knowledge to get to where you want to be. So you want to get under 15% bf in the next 12 weeks, but do you have any longer term goals? Where do you want to go from there?

Oh and congrats on graduating! What's the doctorate in?
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Good luck buddy, I know just how you feel. A really busy and stressful job and a lack of motivation/determination allowed me to ballon up to 215lbs and high 20's bodyfat and I stayed there for like 6 years

I'm now weighing 176lbs and determined to get to 165 where I'll be 10%.

If you stick to HCT-12, dial in that diet and put in the effort on the cardio front it'll come off quickly. We have one member here (achtungbaby) who has been on HCT-12 for 10 weeks and has gotten stronger and lost 10lbs (215 to 205) and he lost 4lbs of that in the last 2 weeks, so you're on the right track.

I'll be following you and let me know if you need any help on the diet front!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Wannabebig Member
    That's quite the history bro... You've definitely got the knowledge to get to where you want to be. So you want to get under 15% bf in the next 12 weeks, but do you have any longer term goals? Where do you want to go from there?

Oh and congrats on graduating! What's the doctorate in?
    My long term goals are centered around living a healthy lifestyle. To accomplish this more distant goal, I must learn moderation. As it stands, I have an "all or nothing" personality. Such a mindset certainly has its benefits, but also comes with many drawbacks, especially concerning unhealthy foods. Basically, I can't have just one or two slices of pizza; I want the whole pizza. There's no such thing as a cheat meal, if I blow one meal, my day is ruined. You can see where such a mindset can become a hindrance. My longterm goal is to learn moderation and apply it so I can leave a healthy lifestyle, maintaining ~10%-12% bodyfat.

In terms of my specific fitness goals, I value mass over leanness (to a degree). I'd rather maintain a ~12% level of bodyfat with 17" arms than be 7% bodyfat with 14" arms.

When I achieve all this, I'll set some new goals

Thanks for the congrats. I have a PhD in a relatively obscure, interdisciplinary social science field. I don't mean to be elusive, but I will probably try to maintain some semblance of anonymity. I'm pursuing academic jobs and many academics would get "weirded out" by someone who values their physique. Many academics are socially isolated and distrustful of those they perceive as threatening. Sorry about the soapbox; it's a touchy issue.

Good luck buddy, I know just how you feel. A really busy and stressful job and a lack of motivation/determination allowed me to ballon up to 215lbs and high 20's bodyfat and I stayed there for like 6 years

I'm now weighing 176lbs and determined to get to 165 where I'll be 10%.

If you stick to HCT-12, dial in that diet and put in the effort on the cardio front it'll come off quickly. We have one member here (achtungbaby) who has been on HCT-12 for 10 weeks and has gotten stronger and lost 10lbs (215 to 205) and he lost 4lbs of that in the last 2 weeks, so you're on the right track.

I'll be following you and let me know if you need any help on the diet front!
    It's good to hear others have overcome similar obstacles. Such stories are a source of motivation.

Good luck on reaching your 10% goal!

Now, for today's entry:

ABAB Plan, no lifting for Tuesday.

Nutrition 5-12-2010:

Calorie goal met. Protein 47%--Fat 30%--Carbs 23%
    Last edited by Thrust; 05-11-2010 at 11:14 PM.

Good job on meeting the numbers with the diet!

I WannaBeBig
    Nice work man!
    "I do now what others will not, so I can have later what others can not."

Wannabebig Member
    ABAB Program

May 12, 2010

Day 3-B

Squats:
    45x6
    135x6
    155x6
    185x6
    205x6+2+2+2

Rack Pulls:
    205x6
    225x6
    300X6+2+2

Straight Bar Curl:
    45x6
    65x6
    75x6+2+2+2

Landscaping for cardio

Nutrition:
    I haven't finished all my meals, but everything went according to plan. Perhaps, a little too long between my morning snack/shake and lunch, but who's counting?

Reflections: I'm so weak compared to when I lifted with consistency back at the end of '08. My knees were unforgiving during squats. I can tell I've lost some flexibility and it will take a few weeks to get back into the swing of things.

I stopped short on rack pulls. I will probably switch to SL deadlifts for the next round.

That workout looks awesome. Well, except maybe the landscaping. Unless you're into that stuff, then ya...awesome!
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

Hey don't sweat the timings of meals, it isn't worth it. If I wake up and am REALLY hungry, I some times eat my first two meals in one lol. I strive to stick to the plan, but if you are hitting your numbers, other than pre and post workout timing is really not worth fussing about.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    That workout looks awesome. Well, except maybe the landscaping. Unless you're into that stuff, then ya...awesome!
    Thanks! I love squats, but they don't love me......lol.

Landscaping is NOT my thing, but it needed to be completed and it beats setting on an exercise bike

Hey don't sweat the timings of meals, it isn't worth it. If I wake up and am REALLY hungry, I some times eat my first two meals in one lol. I strive to stick to the plan, but if you are hitting your numbers, other than pre and post workout timing is really not worth fussing about.
    I think it's really easy to get caught up in all the details thereby diminishing the changes that come from simply moving heavy stuff and eating clean. Nevertheless, as you note, it's good to have a plan just for reference.

Do you (or anyone) have any opinions re: raw honey as a PWO carb source? I'm thinking of using a tablespoon of raw honey PWO to replace the dextrose. I'm pretty impressed with the health benefits of raw honey, including it's ability to lessen my seasonal allergies
    Last edited by Thrust; 05-13-2010 at 06:26 AM.

Haha we did almost the exact same weights in the same exercises yesterday. I didn't do any landscaping though. Nice work!
    5'10"

Training is looking good man, good luck with your goals.

Wannabebig Member
    Haha we did almost the exact same weights in the same exercises yesterday. I didn't do any landscaping though. Nice work!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ELmx479 View Post
    Training is looking good man, good luck with your goals.
    Thanks!

ABAB Program
    Day-4 off traning

Nutrition was good. I missed my before bed shake. I was just too tired and decided to go to bed. Otherwise, a strong day.

Wannabebig Member
    Just a quick update to those who may have thought I already fell off the wagon:

I've been saddled with visiting family obligations since Friday and, due to a non-emergency problem, will probably have to delay my regular journal updates until at least tomorrow.

Will be back soon!

-Thrust