The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

Rotator Cuff problems

I've never had problems before when I used to lift, but recently I've been noticing that my left rotator cuff has been feeling pretty tender.

I've been doing this exercise daily (a few sets of 8 slow reps with a 5-lb. dumbbell), especially before I do my benching/pressing:

The pain/tenderness I feel happens when I am opening my car door, opening a window, lifting a chair away from me, etc. All external motions, which is why I chose to do the external rotation exercise I linked above.

I haven't been noticing it going away though, if anything it has been getting progressively more tender. I'm not really sure what to do. It never feels bad while I'm working out, just while I'm at home doing normal stuff.

Any input?
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 05-10-2010 at 12:14 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    The first thing that I would do is take some time away from heavy pressing movements.

You may want to add in some shoulder pre-hab work such as face pulls to help you to stabilize the joint, and also modify some of your training routines. You may want to eliminate barbell pressing for now in favor of dumbbells and take it easy on anything that puts a lot of stress on your shoulders (certain machines, etc.).

If the injury does not improve then I would recommend seeing a physician so that they can determine if there is some type of damage to your ligaments/tendon/joint.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Well I actually have been doing dumbbell presses. Should I completely stop that altogether? Also, the face pulls I do, can they be light and not actually replacing anything in my routine? For example doing them after rows or chinups?

Also, the whole lateral raising motion seems to cause a bit of that tender pain.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.