Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BiomedHawk Does HCT-12

Wannabebig Member

BiomedHawk Does HCT-12

Ok, I decided I couldn't wait to start HCT-12.

Here's some quick stats:
    Height - 5'7"
    Weight - 220 lbs

I'm a student at the University of Iowa. In high school I played center in football. Since coming to college I've chubbed up a bit and lost a lot of strength.

My all time PR's are:
    Bench - 225
    Squat - 370
    Deadlift - 415

My best lifts recently have been (max out prior to starting my most recent 5/3/1 program and the numbers from my most recent 5/3/1 workout during the 3 rep week):
    Bench - 215x1, 195x7
    Squat - 330x1, 315x10
    Deadlift - 330x1, 355x1

My goals for the end of the summer/early fall are:
    Weight - 185
    Bench - 250
    Squat - 405
    Deadlift - 420

(I'm only going to post my last set for sake of I can't remember the rest of my sets all that well, all of which are 6-2-2-2 unless noted)

Bench Press - 195
    Gravitron Pull-Up - 70
    Barbell Row - 175
    DB OH Press - 60
    Gravitron Dips - 20

That workout felt gooood.
    Last edited by Biomedhawk; 05-10-2010 at 08:58 PM.

Nice job. How do I read the gravitron Dips? Is it bodyweight minus 70?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Nice job. How do I read the gravitron Dips? Is it bodyweight minus 70?
    Yes sir.

Good luck with the new program Bio!

So, you;re looking to cut weight right? how have you got your diet set up?
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Good to see you're starting up a journal...How long were you on 5-3-1 for?
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Old My 5-3-1 Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132576

Wannabebig Member
    I've always struggled with the diet aspect of things. When I came to college I continued to lift but I managed to put my freshman 15 on pretty quickly. By the end of my first semester I had gotten fed up with myself. I started hitting the weights hard and made some simple lifestyle changes (drinking water, tea, coffee over soda, eating a salads, etc) and I've worked my way back down to 220 from 235. I'm starting to stall again, so I feel like the HCT-12 nutrition article came just in time.

My metabolism is pretty slow so I went with 1-3 hrs of activity a week for a 185 lb person (is this good reasoning?). It came out to be...

2405 calories a day / 278 g of protein a day / 92.5 g of fat a day and I'll let whatever happens happen with the rest of it.

I'm definitely looking forward to getting away from dorm food. I plan on stocking up on tuna, chicken breasts, fruits and veggies this summer.

As far as the 5/3/1, I just completed my second cycle through it. I was definitely seeing results from it. Since coming to college I've bounced around between Bill Star's 5x5, the 5/3/1 and occasional stints of Crossfit.

Also, I'm about to run over to the gym now. I'll be sure to update later tonight.

Wannabebig Member
    Tuesday

Squat 320
    RDL 275
    Calf Raise on Leg Press 725
    DB Curl 40's
    Crunch Machine 110

Nice squats.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Wannabebig Member
    Looking forward to reading about your progress. Keep up the good work.

Using the low activity number makes sense if you have a bit to lose and feel your metabolism is on the slow side.

Using fitday.com will be a life saver trust me. Once you get over the learning curve of it, you'll never go back.

Looking forward to seeing the results!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Wannabebig Member
    First and most importantly....finals are over!!!

I ran into two problems today. 1st, because of my weird schedule I didn't manage to eat before the lift and went through the workout on an empty stomach. That wasn't very fun. I learned my lesson. 2nd, I ran into some issues with failure today. I wasn't sure what to do so I just stopped there because the volume is kicking my ass. If anybody has input on what I should do next time, let me know. I'm going to go through the program again to see if it says anything about it. Ok, here we go...

Bench 190 (-5) *this was real rough, i was going to shoot for 200 after this set but I ended up grinding out the last two reps of the initial six
    Barbell Row 185 (+10)
    Gravitron Chins 50 (+20)
    DB Shoulder Press 65x5 reps *this is an instance where I failed on my six rep set...should I bump down to 60 and do the cluster, or bump to 60 and do 6 + the cluster, or just do the cluster at 65?
    Dips BWx4 *same story

If you only hit 4 or 5 reps, I'd go ahead and do the clusters. Next time shoot a little lower (10 lbs), if it feels easy try the heavier weight again, If the 10 lbs lower finds you grinding out the last rep, stay with that and do the clusters. That's all part of the autoregulation. You have to feel your way through it from session to session. But don't worry if you overestimate a little and only get 5 reps, just finish with the clusters.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Wannabebig Member
    First day tracking calories. Breakdown for today was 127.5 g fat, 247.3 g carbs, and 167.6 g protein and 2725 calories total. It was tough getting the protein and I definitely went over today. Its gonna be a tough road but I think as long as the lifting is constant I can work my way into better eating habits.

Workout #4
    Squat 325 (+5)
    Rack-Pulls 355 *switched it up with this lift, it felt good
    Calf Press 765 (+30) *felt much closer to my max than last time
    DB Curls 40
    Abs 110

Wow...not far off from a 1,000 lb calf press
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Wow...not far off from a 1,000 lb calf press
    Haha. No doubt. I feel lame taking all the plates to do a calf press. Good thing I workout at night when nobody is around.

That's a big squat, and a HUGE calf press, lol. You may actually be calf pressing the weight of a calf (as in baby cow). Only just now did I realize what a weird word calf is...
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Wannabebig Member
    Weighed in at 216 lbs. That's (-4 lbs). Woo-hoo.Part of this weight loss could be due to an accidental change in calibration of my scale during the move, but hey, I'll take it.

I googled it and the weight of a baby calf is between 70 and 100 lbs. So my calfs can press as many as 10 calfs. Shwow. Haha.

Wannabebig Member
    Workout #5

Bench Press 200x6x2, 195x2x2 (+10) *I kept my 30 second rest between sets
    Chins 40x4x2x2x2 (+10)
    BB Row 190
    DB OH Press 65x5x1x0x0 *I grinded out one additional rep this time
    Dips 20 (-20) *I was worn out by this point, but atleast I got al the reps

I'm shooting for progress at all costs. My plan is to stick with a weight till I can do the 6x2x2x2 and then bump up and do it nasty.

Interesting that you want to change the basics of the routine already.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Wannabebig Member
    I keep falling into it I guess. I guess the 6-2-2-2 is integral to the program, so maybe I'll just work on getting to an appropriate weight.

Wow only 70-100 lbs?? I guess I meant a bull then lol. Nice pressing!
    5'10"

Quote Originally Posted by Biomedhawk View Post
    I keep falling into it I guess. I guess the 6-2-2-2 is integral to the program, so maybe I'll just work on getting to an appropriate weight.
    All for a bit of customisation but you're introducing far too many variables and possibly failing too often. Ramping up is the simplest way of determining an appropriate weight, it's as old as liftng itself - 'weight too easy, put a bit more on. Still easy, put more on. Harder, but still lots left in the tank, put more on. Harder now, but could still do more, put more weight on. That's it, couldn't put more on the bar and do the reps'.

Take no notice of how many sets there are in that example, but that's the idea, feel your way up. Also by doing things this way your subconcious keeps a running tally of the ballpark 6RM, and failing on rep 4 here, rep 5 there, dropping the weight on the clusters etc is a confusion you don't need. Succeeding on lifts brings its own psychological advantages and you're missing out.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Roberts View Post
    All for a bit of customisation but you're introducing far too many variables and possibly failing too often. Ramping up is the simplest way of determining an appropriate weight, it's as old as liftng itself - 'weight too easy, put a bit more on. Still easy, put more on. Harder, but still lots left in the tank, put more on. Harder now, but could still do more, put more weight on. That's it, couldn't put more on the bar and do the reps'.

Take no notice of how many sets there are in that example, but that's the idea, feel your way up. Also by doing things this way your subconcious keeps a running tally of the ballpark 6RM, and failing on rep 4 here, rep 5 there, dropping the weight on the clusters etc is a confusion you don't need. Succeeding on lifts brings its own psychological advantages and you're missing out.
    You are right, I'm getting carried away. I need to just stick to the basics.

Wannabebig Member
    Workout #6

Squat
    Bar x 1
    225 x 1
    275 x 6
    315 x 6 *This felt like I had nothing but air on my back so I decided to go big or go home
    330x6x2-2-2 *The clusters were haaaard, but it felt really good to do it.

Rack Pulls
    225x6
    275x6 *After these I had a warm, sharp feeling in my groin so I decided to back off in fear of getting a hernea or something

Calf Press *a bunch of people showed up so I decided to go for a 4 count instead of my usual 2 count to conserve plates, I ended up still hitting 765 haha
    405x6
    585x6
    765x6-2-2-2

DB Curl
    35x6
    40x6
    45x6-2-2-2

Ab Machine
    90x6
    100x6
    110x6-2-2-2

Workout felt good overal, minus the issue during the rack pulls. Anybody ever experienced something like that? Its still a little tender post-workout.

Wannabebig Member
    Weighted in today at 214.5 lbs.