The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Nice session AK. Everything rising up well. Even the Kurls.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Don't get too excited. My man crush on you isn't as intense as the one I have for Jim Wendler. My experience is about the same as yours and sometimes I don't even get into that with people because of my numbers. "I've been training for 8 years now." "Oh really? How much do you bench?" "Uhh, currently ~205 lbs". Ya.... rather avoid that conversation. Dude, your pin pulls are insane! To think 355 felt light is a great sign. Was that knee level?

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Daniel
    Those are some great increases AK! Some pretty damn good rack pulls there as well, I see what you mean about needing good grip strength for rack pulls. Will definitely be reading this journal regularly mate, keep up the hard work!
    Starting weight - 129 lbs
    Current weight - 152 lbs

HCT-12 Journal

"My goal when I come in here everyday is to make sure that if someone beats me - its not because they outworked me!" - Layne Norton, Natural Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Nice session AK. Everything rising up well. Even the Kurls.
    Thanks OR. I'm definitely liking how the program has allowed me to progress so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Don't get too excited. My man crush on you isn't as intense as the one I have for Jim Wendler. My experience is about the same as yours and sometimes I don't even get into that with people because of my numbers. "I've been training for 8 years now." "Oh really? How much do you bench?" "Uhh, currently ~205 lbs". Ya.... rather avoid that conversation. Dude, your pin pulls are insane! To think 355 felt light is a great sign. Was that knee level?
    Lol, your man crush on Jim Wendler is more like an man-obsession, so I guess I don't feel too bad. Yeah, my numbers suck for the amount of time I've been in the gym, but like I said, as a teen I wasted a ton of time doing routines for bodybuilders (most likely on roids), etc. I never did squats/deads back then either. Shameful, I know Yeah rack/pin pulls weren't too shabby yesterday, I just wish I had time to have gone higher, or at least used heavier weight on the set of 6. I was pulling from 2-3 inches below the knee. I'd prefer to pull from a little lower, but that's the lowest I can set the pins, so it's that or a regular DL.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyMcG View Post
    Those are some great increases AK! Some pretty damn good rack pulls there as well, I see what you mean about needing good grip strength for rack pulls. Will definitely be reading this journal regularly mate, keep up the hard work!
    Thanks Danny! Yeah i've been struggling with the grip for a while, just gotta chalk up! Thanks for stoppin by!

Just a quick note, had a little stabbing pain in my right knee this morning. It's probably nothing, but I'll be monitoring it over the next few sessions.
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Old My 5-3-1 Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132576

I hope the knee turns out to be nothing. And don't worry about the amount of weight or how fast you progress, some guys just take longer. I get frustrated some days when I read about a 16 year old that is using the same weights as me after I've been consistent for years already. But, that's just life.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by AKMass View Post
    Yeah you're right, 5-3-1 does have it's fair share of hypertrophy elements. I guess I just needed to switch things up for a bit. If HCT-12 serves me well, I'll probably switch back and forth between it and 5-3-1 every few months or so. I get bored easily lol.

Thanks bro.

Yeah thread titles are no biggie, I usually just put whatever pops into my head at the moment. Keith just likes to give me **** cuz he has a secret man-crush on me. LOL. Thanks for the props! I"ve been lifting on and off for a good ten years I suppose. You'd never be able to tell by my numbers, but I wasted a LOT of time in the gym in my teens. It wasn't until I found WBB that I truly learned what lifting was all about. And hell, I'm still learning.

Alright, good day today.

Squats-
    Barx1
    115x6
    135x5
    155x4
    175x3
    195x2
    205x1
    210x6x2x2x2 +5 lbs from last week. Not sure if I could go up more or not, I was spent after the last set of 2.

Bar curls-
    35x1 *waits for comment from ELm* lol
    55x5
    65x4
    75x3
    85x6x2x2x2 +10 lbs from last week. I think I'm going to have to switch to EZ-bar curls, no way I can jump up 10 lbs by the next workout.

Calf raises-
    110x6
    140x6x2x2x2 +10 lbs from last week.

Decline sit-ups-
    BWx6
    BW+5 x4
    BW+10x6x2x2x2 Definitely have some room to increase weight here, not that this lift even matters lol.

Rack pull redemption-
    135x6
    225x2
    275x6 Since I did 315 last week (forgot my straps this week), I decided to continue ramping weight for the sets of 2.
    295x2
    315x2
    335x2
    355x2

I definitely could've kept going, grip strength was excellent today for some reason. 355 felt incredibly light in my posterior chain, so I'm basically just training my grip with this lift. It's amazing, even with straps my grip can't come anywhere close to what my posterior chain can handle. Oh well, could be worse I guess.

I hope you had an extra scoop of protein after those curls, LOL! Nice session man.

I hope the knee turns out to be nothing. And don't worry about the amount of weight or how fast you progress, some guys just take longer. I get frustrated some days when I read about a 16 year old that is using the same weights as me after I've been consistent for years already. But, that's just life.
    Thanks OR. I'm sure the knee pain is just normal wear and tear, pain wasn't TOO intense. Man I wish I was 16 again, I could really use all that extra testosterone. To think I wasted it...

Quote Originally Posted by ELmx479 View Post
    I hope you had an extra scoop of protein after those curls, LOL! Nice session man.
    LOL, you know it bro! Chugged down some SuperPump 250, NOXplode, and Horny Goat Weed too! My bicepts grew right before my very eyez!

And thanks, lol.
    Last edited by AKMass; 05-18-2010 at 05:30 AM.
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Banned
    Hey man,

I'm just starting to hang around these journals a bit and check out my online training partners/competitors.
    What are your mass goals? Do you have a bodyweight you want to hit?

I'm about 195 right now and I want to get up to at least 205 and then back up to 210. I'm 6'4.

Keep pushin' hard
    BW: 165lbs
    Bench: 235
    Squat: ??
    Deadlift: ??

Quote Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
    Hey man,

I'm just starting to hang around these journals a bit and check out my online training partners/competitors.
    What are your mass goals? Do you have a bodyweight you want to hit?

I'm about 195 right now and I want to get up to at least 205 and then back up to 210. I'm 6'4.
    Cool, welcome! Well eventually I'd like to hit a solid 200, but I'm only 170 right now. So I've got a long way to go, but it's ok, I have plenty of time too. HOw many cals are you taking in?

Quote Originally Posted by rdearmond573 View Post
    Keep pushin' hard
    Thanks bro.

Bench-
    95x6
    115x5
    135x4
    155x3
    165x2
    170x6x2x2x2 +5 lbs from last session

T-bar rows-
    45x6
    55x6
    80x6x2x2x2

Chinups-
    BWx6x2x2x2

OH Press-
    45x6
    85x3
    110x6x2x2x2 +5 lbs from last session

CG Bench-
    45x6
    135x6x2x2x2

Funny I've been losing about a lb. per week on my new diet. I thought I'd be gaining weight but I guess not. I changed things up a bit today:

-Moved my grip about two inches in so there's less stress on my shoulders. Left shoulder was injured previously, and my right has been a bit tweaky lately.

-Tried out t-bar rows. Just for kicks.

-Went with chins. Assisted pullup machine was taken. Not sure if this will be a permanent change.

-Did CG bench. Dip station was being swarmed today. Commercial gyms, ftl.

Not sure what I'm going to do next. I like the diet I'm on, and my lifts aren't suffering, so I may just strip off some fat until I'm really lean. Of course, pretty soon I'm going to start feeling like a skinny little ***** and will prob up my calories again. Just have to wait and see...
    5'10"

AK, nice job with the bench and press. Have you used the program's diet guidelines to figure out your eating. I don't see much reason to let your diet dictate your goals, rather your goals should dictate your diet.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Solid benching, Sally. Good stuff on the fat loss, too. Commercial gyms do suck. I don't think there's anything good about them. How did you like t-bar rows? Oh, and I agree with smarty pants up there about your diet.

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

nice goin with the workouts. i'm startin hct tomorrow.

Damn dude, that was a big session. I'm only good for 3 main lifts and I'm smoked. I really think you should stick with the chins and pull ups. I feel it is one of, if not the best upper body lift.

Hey this is where you went.....Looking strong in here man. So like I ask the others, what are your thoughts on the program so far?
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Keep on working hard for the gains AK!

Unreal volume. Great work in here.
    "Don’t fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn’t matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. I’ve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Good job in here, keep it up.

Like how you have just made the rep scheme your own lol
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Where you at chump??? You didn't get crushed under the smith machine during an intense squat session did you?

I think his stalker got him -- lol
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Where the **** are you? I miss your scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Where the **** are you? I miss your scent.
    What did you do with him Keith? Is he in your basement?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

What did you do with him Keith? Is he in your basement?
    Yeah, and I'm not letting him out until he makes himself a better journal title. I've told him before but he didn't listen, so now he has to learn the hard way.

Keith...let him go already...actually, he was on today. Don't know why he's not checking in?
    Last edited by Off Road; 05-28-2010 at 02:16 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Oh he is, I think he's just waiting for a reason to post. I guess we're not good enough of a reason...