The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Murph1001 journal

Hey, I'm currently a high school English teacher. I train with a powerlifting team with one guy who currently squats over 700 pounds. We lift in a small school weight room fully supplied with gear from Elitefts. We have 2 safety squat bars, a football bar, a fat bar, several Ivanko's and a deadlift bar. We also have several trap bars. We also have kettleballs up to 54 kg (I think). The dumbells go up to 100 lbs but we have several handles if you want to build on. We also have a reverse hyper and a glute ham raise along with the various assortments of toys (chains, bands, blast straps, foam rollers, sleds, and prowlers!)
    I'm currently 5'11, 175 lbs, and 24 years old. My best lifts are as follows:

Bench- 203 lbs.
    Squat- 265 lbs.
    Deadlift- 383 lbs.
    Military Press- 130 lbs.

I am currently doing Wendler's 5/3/1 program. The next meet is at the end of June so we will begin to vary from the original plan, in which case, it will no longer be Wendler's 5/3/1. The main lift follows the 5/3/1 progression while the assistance work follows closer to Westside principles. Most of the other guys speed bench, but since I am not strong enough to see a benefit, I military press. This has helped me put on some shoulder density.

So here's the typical plan:

Monday: Bench (International Bench Day)
    Tuesday: Squat
    Wednesday: KB circuit (Just to get the blood moving, sometimes I'll use sandbags instead)
    Thursday: Bench
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: Deadlift
    Sunday: Soccer game

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

powerlifter in training Liftersize's Avatar
    sounds like a pretty sweet set up....good luck with your lifting. Have you set out any goals for yourself?
    Current Stats: 6'1 185
    Deadlift 480 Bench 280 Squat 365 Raw Total: 1,125
    Front Squat 295
    My New Journal!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...49#post2331749

Wannabebig Member
    I am very blessed to have such a great facility (free) and a great team (friends) to lift with. The Cornhusker State Games are the last weekend in June. Here are my goals for that meet:

Bench: 203 lbs. (I've done it in the gym but not a meet"
    Squat: 285 lbs.
    Deadlift: 400 lbs.

The deadlift is probably the most realistic for me. I have long arms and short torso, which works out really well for sumo deadlifting. I recently stocked up on some Nitrean and some creating Caps. I also take a pre-workout supplement called Rock Hard by NO-BS labs. You can get it at Elitefts.

Wannabebig Member
    This is what I did Saturday:

Sumo Deadlift:
    5-265
    5-295
    5-315

RDLS: double overhand, narrow stance
    3x8 185
    1x8 205

Pull Throughs:
    3 x 12 110

Standing Ab pull downs
    4x 12 at 110

-I got to the gym early on Saturday which was nice because it was deathly quiet. I held back a little on the sumo deadlifts because I had a soccer game about 7 hours later. My training max for deadlift is set at 365 to focus on getting more reps. If it's real windy outside, I might blow away.
    Last edited by Murph1001; 05-02-2010 at 06:25 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Parent teacher conferences this week so my schedule is all messed up. I did sneak into the gym the other day for military press.

Standing Military Press
    1x5 95 lbs.
    1 x 5 105 lbs
    1x7 115 lbs

Wide grip barbell rows

4x8 140 lbs.

DB floor press (ss)
    4x 12 65 lbs.

DB bent over lateral raises (ss)

4 x 12 20 lbs.

Leg Raises
    4 x 15

Wannabebig Member
    I graduate from college on Saturday so I had to move some things around.

Sumo Deadlift
    1 x 5 275
    1 x 5 295
    1 x 7 315

RDL's
    4 x 5 225

KB swing (ss)
    3 x 12 44 kg

KB Goblet squat (ss)
    3 x 12 44 kg

*My grip is still pretty shot from last week. The deadlifts were pretty hard to hold onto.

Wannabebig Member
    We benched on monday. Our gym is still being remodeled so we installed a squat rack in the corner of the basketball gym. We lowered the max bench numbers on this cycle in order to get more volume.

Bench
    1 x 3 145 lbs
    1 x 3 155 lbs
    1 x 7 165 lbs

Floor Press
    1x3 145
    1x3 155
    1x3 165
    1x3 175

DB Row
    4x12 80 lbs

Dips (BW)
    4 x 8

Leg raises
    5x12

Wannabebig Member
    I was able to still make it to the gym on Wednesday. I've been pretty tired from sending out all these teaching applications. I got my first official rejection letter last night. I'm hoping I can turn that into a successful deadlift session today.

Wednesday:

Squat:
    1x3 185
    1x3 205
    1x8 215

*I had more left in the take but ran out of oxygen. Dang allergies.

KB Swings
    4 x 12 44 kg

Ab Roller
    4 x 12

*My right knee is still coming in a bit, especially as I get tired. I am going back to doing knee out with bands. I'm also wondering if I have some muscle tightness somewhere.

Wannabebig Member
    Thursday Military Press:

1 x 3 95 lbs
    1 x 3 105 lbs
    1 x 6 115 lbs

Incline DB press (hands neutral)
    4x12 50 lbs

Chin-ups (BW)
    5x8

DB tricep extensions
    4 x 10 25 lbs

Banded reverse arm curls
    4 x 12

Ab Pull Downs
    3 x 15

Wannabebig Member
    Saturday is always a big day because we deadlift in the morning and then I have a soccer game late afternoon. I'm currently trying out carb cycling just to see how it works. "Curiosity is the purest form of insubordination"-Nabakov Deadlifting against bands is sure to kill any ego. At the bottom it just explodes up until about then knee. The look on the face is priceless as the lifter suddenly has to work. It's great for the lockout and teaching yourself to push throughout the entire lift. One of the lifter's son and wife were with us today. The little fella was generally destructive while his wife is working on "butts and guts". We just had her do a 5x5 of squats, 3x12 bodyweight lunges, banded good mornings and turkish get-ups. Overall just a fun day.

Sumo deadlift with monster minis

-Worked up to a final set of three at 295.

*We are about a month and half out from our next meet. We usually deviate from 5/3/1 deadlifting about two months out in order to give us time to heal. Currently, I'm the only one out of the guys who usually goes for max number of reps anyways. Chalk it up to being younger (possibly dumber)

KB Swings (SS)
    3 x 12 44 KG

DB RDL's
    4 x 8 65 lbs

Spread Eagle sit ups
    4 x 8 65lbs

Wannabebig Member
    I lift at a local high school weight room. They are currently remodeling the weight room so we've been relegated to the gymnasium. We have two racks set up, dumbbells and kettlebells. Unfotunately, we have to share the gym with random groups of people. Sometimes there is volleyball or basketball practice going on. The other night there was some other ceremony so we were kicked out. Luckily there are still two squat racks in the remodeled gym, only we had to re-attach them to the floor. We also had to sneak into the gym and grab two bars and as many 45's as we can carry. A couple of the guys were working on bench shirts so us smallish guys were relegated to the squat rack not bolted down. We also didn't have a bench. We had one bar and a squat rack, which meant it became military press day.

Military Press
    1 x 5 95 lbs
    1 x 3 110 lbs
    1 x 6 120 lbs (PR!)

Military Press
    5 x 10 95 lbs

Bent over BB row
    5 x 10 145 lbs

*We were going to finish with prowler runs but I tweaked my back warming up for military's. I usually spend about 5 to 10 minutes doing active warmups, similar to parasi. I then usually spend about 5 minutes foam rolling. I did about 5 minutes of shoulder swings and then went at. I tweaked my back almost immediately. I was able to finish the workout but I then subsequently missed squat day. I'm glad I toughed out the military press day as I set a PR but it definitely sucked not being able to squat. The next day it hurt to take a deep breath. Two days later though, I'm good to go again.

Wannabebig Member
    Went and benched on Monday. We are about 3 and a half weeks out from the next meet.

Bench Press
    -Worked up sets of 5

DB Press (neutral grip)
    4 x 10 55lbs

Barbell Row
    4x10 145 lbs

Tate Press
    4 x 8 30 lbs

Ab Roll out
    4 x 10

lateral raises
    3 x 12

Wannabebig Member
    Went to the gym yesterday to squat. We are currently off 5/3/1 for the time being. We plan on resetting on Monday in order to help prepare for the next meet which is at the end of gym.

Squats
    1 x 5 185 lbs
    1 x 5 195
    1 x 5 210
    1 x 5 225

Safety bar good mornings

4 x 8 135 lbs

*I'm not sure if these are good for much but it's a different movement then I usually do and I was short on time.

Spread Eagle situps
    4 x 10

Banded face pulls
    3 x 15

Wannabebig Member
    Went and did military press the other night. For awhile now this has been the only lift that continues to progress. I have also noticed a little more size on the shoulders.

Military Press
    Worked up to a set of 5 at 125

Pull-ups (various grips)
    50 total reps

Banded dips
    50 total reps

Banded ab pull downs
    4 x 12