The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

2 questions re HCT-12

1) as the nutrition guide is for HCT-12 trainees, I assume (in the calorie requirement section) 'low activity' means trainees who are doing the 3 day split and 'medium activity' is for those doing the 4 day split etc?

2) does the routine include any cardio?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Hey gelong, great questions.

Both answers are in the training and nutritional program articles, so give them another read to make sure you took in everything.

Here are your answers though in any case

1. Activity:

14 - Low Activity (1-3 hours a week)
    16 - Medium Activity (4-7 hours a week)
    19 - High Activity (8-11 hours a week)

It's really based on your overal physical activity, including the routine, any cardio you do and could also include anything else you do in life which is specifically physically demanding. I wouldn't worry about it too much, just try and roughly calculate the hours you are in the gym and pick one which you think suits you the most.

For example if you have an office job and are going the 5 day program, you'll probably fall under medium activity. If you do a tough physicaly job you could proabably use the high activity mark.

2. Cardio

From the training program article:

Other Activities

Like warm-ups (possibly even more so), cardiovascular or energy systems work is at the bottom of the likes list. However, just like a proper warm-up, cardio is important for longevity and doing it, in whatever form you like best (or hate least), also improves your ability to lift. If you get breathless and nauseous doing biceps curls, then you know what we mean.

This is a program for muscle gain, so the recommendations are about thirty minutes two or three times a week. More specifically, for the guys with very little muscle and very little fat, at most one session of thirty minutes a week. For the guys carrying a lot of extra body fat, two or three sessions a week. For the guys in-between, donít neglect it and donít go overboard; one or two times per week for you.

Here are two great articles detailing how to implement Kettlebells (Kettlebells for the Uninitiated) and Complexes (Complexes for Fat Loss) for conditioning. Be aware that any loaded exercise will impact on your recovery, so follow the guidelines carefully. Our bodies are awesome machines, but they are not perfect, so while concentrating on building as much muscle as you possibly can, you are going to have to minimize the time and effort you put into other activities or risk compromising your results. Donít spread yourself too thinly.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? Ė My Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by gelong View Post
    1) as the nutrition guide is for HCT-12 trainees, I assume (in the calorie requirement section) 'low activity' means trainees who are doing the 3 day split and 'medium activity' is for those doing the 4 day split etc?

2) does the routine include any cardio?
    No, the activity is a more general look at how 'active' you are day to day including your training i.e. do you sit at a desk all day, do you drive to work, take the lift to your flat, and basically limit all exercise to your weights work vs do you have a physical job, do you walk, cycle etc to work, do you engage in other sports outside gym work etc?

Pick the multiplier that best repersents your activity, it doesn't have to be pinpoint and you will need to adjust calorie intake up or down periodically anyway so it is no big deal to make a mistake at the outset - it can be rectified quickly.

The routine recommends cardio, re-read the 'training' document.
    Last edited by Daniel Roberts; 05-11-2010 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Mr Clough beat me to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Roberts View Post
    Pick the multiplier that best repersents your activity, it doesn't have to be pinpoint and you will need to adjust calorie intake up or down periodically anyway so it is no big deal to make a mistake at the outset - it can be rectified quickly.
    At the same time, your metabolism will play a role in your caloric requirements. I work a desk job and don't get much activity aside from being in the gym for HCT-12 three times/week. This would put me in the 4-6 hours of activity category using a multiplier of 16, but I've actually discovered my personal multiplier is well over 20.

As Dan said, you'll want to make adjustments periodically. Weigh yourself every week or two, and add or subtract calories from your daily requirement, depending on your weight change in relation to your goal.

TB