The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Questions about HCT-12

I started this routine yesterday, please review my first day and see if I have this concept.

I started on bench with 95x1, 115x1, 135x6, 165x6, 165x6, 165x6, 165x6, 165x6, 165x6x2x2x2. Does that rep scheme sound accurate?

I went on to do pull ups, and with no available I tried to keep the 6 rep scheme, but I found I had to do 9 sets of 6 in order to hit the point where I felt ready for the last rest-pause set. I would use lat-pulldowns.... but I have a rule about machines.

Press -80x1, 95x6, 115x6, 115x6, 115x6, 115x6, 115x6, 115x6x2x2x2. (Am I doing 1 too many sets?)

Then I did dumbell rows using the same rep scheme. I decided to call it a day at this point and forego the recommended tricep work as I felt like anything more might be a bit much. It's a lot of pressing, does anyone else feel like assistance work isn't necessary, at least at the beginning?

Overall, a really good workout, my chest and shoulders are feelin pretty good today (and by good I mean sore).

One last question: At what point in the routine would be a good time to test our 1rm on all big lifts (press, bench, squat, deadlift). I assume at the point where we begin to stall, but it's been a while since I committed myself to a real routine so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I really don't think you are supposed to be doing sets across (6 sets with the same weight) You are supposed to ramp up the weight to a set of 6 reps that you can barely get the sixth rep. Then pause 30secs and do 2 reps of that same weight, pause..2 reps, pause..2 reps - DONE. Twelve reps total at the highest weight.

OK, after re-reading the article I see that my reps were correct, but I should have ramped up to my final set. Besides that, how does it look?

It looks fine but no wonder you're sore after those straight sets. Don't fixate on the number of sets it takes to hit your top weight, that was an example I gave, an illustration. In the account you gave I would expect you to hit a higher top weight, your 6RM for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Roberts View Post
    It looks fine but no wonder you're sore after those straight sets. Don't fixate on the number of sets it takes to hit your top weight, that was an example I gave, an illustration. In the account you gave I would expect you to hit a higher top weight, your 6RM for the day.
    Thanks Daniel! Those six straight sets were a killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Roberts View Post
    Don't fixate on the number of sets it takes to hit your top weight, that was an example I gave, an illustration.

I think that point is the thing that had me puzzled. It took me a few reads and some more input from your posts to have that "aha" moment. Looking forward to beginning this tomorrow.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

You got some good work in for sure. However, the fact that you could bench 165x6 for six sets indicates you could probably handle a lot more weight for your final set (not sure what your max is). Same goes for your Press (OH Press?). I think a conservative way to approach your next session would be:

Bench-85x6, 105x6, 125x6, 145x6, 165x6, then, depending on how easy the 165x6 went up, try 175x6x2x2x2, or maybe even 185x6x2x2x2.
    Press-75x6, 85x6, 95x6, 105x6, 115x6, then 120x6x2x2x2, or 125x6x2x2x2.

Those are just examples, but the main point is it seems like you can handle more weight. Of course, don't attempt more than you think you can handle unless you have a spotter or safety system in place. Everything else looks fine, but as far as a 1RM test goes, do it maybe every 12 weeks or so? I think it's up to you, that's not really a part of the program.
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Old My 5-3-1 Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132576

Quote Originally Posted by AKMass View Post
    You got some good work in for sure. However, the fact that you could bench 165x6 for six sets indicates you could probably handle a lot more weight for your final set (not sure what your max is). Same goes for your Press (OH Press?). I think a conservative way to approach your next session would be:

Bench-85x6, 105x6, 125x6, 145x6, 165x6, then, depending on how easy the 165x6 went up, try 175x6x2x2x2, or maybe even 185x6x2x2x2.

Those are just examples, but the main point is it seems like you can handle more weight. Of course, don't attempt more than you think you can handle unless you have a spotter or safety system in place. Everything else looks fine, but as far as a 1RM test goes, do it maybe every 12 weeks or so? I think it's up to you, that's not really a part of the program.
    That was better than my answer!
    As for testing for 1RM well there is no requirement for it in the program but I understand that most of us at some point will want to find out. In that case and knowing how I feel I'd probably do an impromptu test if the weights are flying up in the warm-ups and preceding sets during a workout and I've had a good few weeks prior to it.

Those are just examples, but the main point is it seems like you can handle more weight. Of course, don't attempt more than you think you can handle unless you have a spotter or safety system in place. Everything else looks fine, but as far as a 1RM test goes, do it maybe every 12 weeks or so? I think it's up to you, that's not really a part of the program
    Appreciate the input, I think I will follow that exact rep scheme you suggested.