Thread: DIY atlas stones

Hybrid View

DIY atlas stones

anyone here make their own atlas stones? i looked at some DIY websites about making them but just wondering if anyone here as tried and succeeded with making one. most people are using a exercise ball for the mold and then fiberglass over the ball. will any exercise ball work? it seems like if you got one and didnt inflate it all the way the ball wouldnt be round.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen5681 View Post
    anyone here make their own atlas stones? i looked at some DIY websites about making them but just wondering if anyone here as tried and succeeded with making one. most people are using a exercise ball for the mold and then fiberglass over the ball. will any exercise ball work? it seems like if you got one and didnt inflate it all the way the ball wouldnt be round.
    I know people who have made them with that method and it seems to be hit or miss.

Your best bet would be to see if you can borrow a Slater mold from someone, or just purchase the stones locally if there is someone who has a mold and makes stones. If you need help locating contacts just let me know what area you are in and I can reach out to some folks for you.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

hey tom im in jacksonville, nc where is the closest place to get some stones?

Thats my home town... How long you been there?
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

I've made a few over the years and most of them turned out pretty well without buying a mold. I think you'd generally be better off WITH a mold, but just sayin' you don't HAVE to have one.

http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2008/09/...las-stone.html
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I've made a few over the years and most of them turned out pretty well without buying a mold. I think you'd generally be better off WITH a mold, but just sayin' you don't HAVE to have one.

thanks for the link, that looks like it will be very usefull.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post

Thanks for that link. That guy is a genuis!

Quote Originally Posted by Raleighwood View Post
    Thats my home town... How long you been there?
    ive been here for about 3 years. only 1 more year and im headed back to upstate NY tho.

There is a guy who lives in Roanoke, VA who is in the concrete business and so he sells his stones for less than the cost of materials in many cases. Not sure if he still makes them though.

I am going to train with some guys up in Graham, NC today and they have stone molds as well - will ask them about prices/etc.

Slater molds are the best but you really only need a couple of stones to train and so investing in a mold is not worthwhile unless you have a large training group, tons of space/money, or plan to run contests.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    There is a guy who lives in Roanoke, VA who is in the concrete business and so he sells his stones for less than the cost of materials in many cases. Not sure if he still makes them though.

I am going to train with some guys up in Graham, NC today and they have stone molds as well - will ask them about prices/etc.

Slater molds are the best but you really only need a couple of stones to train and so investing in a mold is not worthwhile unless you have a large training group, tons of space/money, or plan to run contests.
    i just planned on making 1 or 2, so i dont really want to make a mold unless i do it myself with the plaster. thanks alot tom.

also tom i sent you a PM about 2 weeks ago asking some questions wondering if you got it or not?

Slater stones, google that name, and you can order some stone molds directly from them. They also have step by step video instructions and everything you need to make stones there too. My wife just ordered me some molds(God I love her) so I'll be making mine in a week or so. I wish I could find someone around here that makes them, but everyone who either had molds, or borrowed molds no longer has them.
    Last edited by Mark!; 05-14-2010 at 09:16 PM.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

I'm sorry...is that a Ninja Turtle ball? You...killed...the ninja turtle ball...yes? I'm deeply saddened by this...deeply.

/end thread hijack

I read that if you're just making one stone, you could try the method with the ball, save the money of the mold, but if you plan on making more, either for yourself, or others, buy the mold. I plan on making 1-2 of each size eventually, when needed and when I can use them that is, but also having them to loan out to friends when needed and such.
    Last edited by Mark!; 05-15-2010 at 03:21 AM.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May