Thread: First time Deadlifting geared.

First time Deadlifting geared.

So tonight will be my first time trying to dead lift in a suit. Even better it will be in my new squat suit I just got.
    I can finally squat in it now I just have to try pulling in it. It's a super centurion(wide stance) and it's not super tight but not loose either(takes about 30 mins to get on, 5 with suit slippers)

Just wondering if you guys had any wisdom to share or tips for me to try when pulling tonight?

I generally train conventional and pull sumo in meet so I am comfortable pulling either way. My 1rm last tested ~ a month ago was 495 pulling sumo so not sure where my numbers should be for training today either.

Any advice is much appreciated!
    Last edited by IronDiggy; 05-13-2010 at 08:55 AM.
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

aka Big Baby
    Quote Originally Posted by IronDiggy View Post
    So tonight will be my first time trying to dead lift in a suit. Even better it will be in my new squat suit I just got.
    I can finally squat in it now I just have to try pulling in it. It's a super centurion(wide stance) and it's not super tight but not loose either(takes about 30 mins to get on, 5 with suit slippers)

Just wondering if you guys had any wisdom to share or tips for me to try when pulling tonight?

I generally train conventional and pull sumo in meet so I am comfortable pulling either way. My 1rm last tested ~ a month ago was 495 pulling sumo so not sure where my numbers should be for training today either.

Any advice is much appreciated!
    I assume you already lifted, but I'll still chime in.

Although I don't consider geared sumo deads to be a real deadlift, I'll tell you should make sure to stay upright and mimic your squat form.

One of the PLers @my gym sumo deads in a suit and he always sets his feet, sits way back, squats straight down, grips the bar and pulls.

Make sure not to lean forward because you'll throw the stroke of your squat suit off.

Wannabebig Member
    Although every guy on our team sq's in a Super Centurion NONE of them pull in it...the material is too thick and stiff for pulling IMO - they make it very hard to get to the bar and then very hard to get in a good position.

Most guys i know pull in Metal or some in Inzer (the strechier stuff like Fusions etc).

Yea I pulled last night. Unfortunately buying a DL suit right now isn't affordable for me and I got next weeks session to dl in then my meet on the 12th.

I can't even get close to the bar pulling conventional but I am able to grab the bar sumo and pull myself into position. the bar then rockets off the floor(it was only 405 and the suit practically lifted it itself) but I can't seem to drag it up my shins properly and the bar ends up too far out in front. I think I need to really learn how to sit back into my suit. I dunno if anyone has any ideas at trying to drag it up my shins and not stalling out right above my knees?
    Training since Dec 2008.

The main things I focus on when pulling in my suit (titan boss) is butt down, chest up and keep the weight on my heals. If you focus on those 3 things you should be golden. If the bar is drifting away from your shins, chances are your weight is more towards your toes then your heals. If possible post a video. Good Luck.
    Sam Sweigart
    Best meet lifts @ 220
    Squat-755lbs.
    Bench-465lbs.
    Deadlift-625lbs.
    Best Total-1825lbs.
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...=1#post2251520

Thanks! I'll try those, and I'll see if I can get a video next week when I dl again.
    Training since Dec 2008.