Thread: No DEADLIFT!?!?!?!?

No DEADLIFT!?!?!?!?

Daniel Roberts says:

" A very obvious example is squats and deadlifts. In the program I put squats ahead of rack pulls for the very good reason that, whichever way round you put it, one is going to negatively impact on the performance of the other. You could use a deadlift variation from the floor, but only you can tell how that will be impacted by the squat. If I were to choose a full deadlift, Id put it first and leg press (not squat) afterwards."

So I should not Squat and DL the same workout?
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

I'm sure you can still squat and deadlift in the same workout, it's just that it would be a really HARD workout trying to do both in the same workout.

But since the article did advise not to do squats and deadlifts and I know that you should stick to one program until you stop making progress, but would it be possible if every other cycle we switched back and forth something like this:

Cycle 1: Squats, variation of a deadlift
    Cycle 2: Leg press, deadlift
    Cycle 3: Squats, variation of a deadlift
    Cycle 4: Leg press, deadlift
    etc...

Would that be alright or no?
    Last edited by Pure Water; 05-10-2010 at 08:40 AM.

Guys, why do people always have such trouble following a program as outlined?

Think of it this way, if what you were doing was working well you would have no interest in HCT-12. Follow the program EXACTLY as presented and see what you get. I think you will be quite happy.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

What I have been doing has been working. Am I not allowed to be interested in HCT-12?

The program, as outlined, states:
    Workout B
    Quad dominant
    Hip dominant
    Calf Exercise
    Biceps Exercise
    Abs.

And THESE are the choices for hip dominant :

deadlift, rack pull, Romanian deadlift.

Elsewhere Daniel suggests not to put squats and deadlifts together.

So how do I follow the program EXACTLY, exactly?

In the article I state

First, a word of caution there is going to be some overlap on exercises. That is just what happens when you have a body that never contracts a muscle in complete isolation. Some muscles are going to get worked alongside the target muscles; it cannot be helped.

A very obvious example is squats and deadlifts. In the program I put squats ahead of rack pulls for the very good reason that, whichever way round you put it, one is going to negatively impact on the performance of the other. You could use a deadlift variation from the floor, but only you can tell how that will be impacted by the squat. If I were to choose a full deadlift, Id put it first and leg press (not squat) afterwards.
    If you want to do both, do both, or do as PureWater suggested above or alternate as some have done between sessions (which I also mention in the FAQ).

Thank you Daniel.

Confused
    I did squats and deadlifts in the same workout with this routine and it was fine.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Munky View Post
    I did squats and deadlifts in the same workout with this routine and it was fine.
    yea me to but it was killer, especially the 2x2x2 parts I am totally wiped out right now...
    Last edited by Krazor; 05-11-2010 at 07:00 PM.

Thank you Munky.
    Thank you Krazor.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
    Daniel Roberts says:

" A very obvious example is squats and deadlifts. In the program I put squats ahead of rack pulls for the very good reason that, whichever way round you put it, one is going to negatively impact on the performance of the other. You could use a deadlift variation from the floor, but only you can tell how that will be impacted by the squat. If I were to choose a full deadlift, Id put it first and leg press (not squat) afterwards."

So I should not Squat and DL the same workout?
    I would not do heavy/high intensity squats and deadlifts in the same workout; they are both very demanding movements so it is best to focus on one and use the other as a secondary / accessory movement.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

So would it be a good idea to maybe do deadlifts as my focus for a month, with leg press as an accessory, and then switch it up qith squat and rackpulls?

It's what I do.