The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

View Poll Results: Are you aware that Wannabebig and AtLarge Nutrition are the same company?

Voters
475. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, I am aware that Wannabebig and AtLarge Nutrition are the same company

370 77.89%
  • NO, I had no idea that and AtLarge Nutrition are the same company

105 22.11%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Daniel and Chris are the owners, no secret there. There are also a few sponsored athletes and authors, who you can tell because they are identified in their signatures. It's not like a big secret. That's just a [very] few among the many, many people that rave about ALN products and service.
    Not a secret, but also not wide open information for new members... After a few days I'm sure it's easy enough to realize... But it's not like their subtitle says "I'm the OWNER mofo!!!" haha

Not disagreeing with the majority of your post though...

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Yes, we really try to hide things to trick our members...

Seriously, it is pretty obvious whom we sponsor. They further normally state that they personally use the products and like them. Heck, they sometimes even recommend products that we do not sell. Lol, what more do you want?
    I think the sponsors are well known and I think the un-sponsored supporters of your products have an even greater impact. Either way... In no way are you deceiving people....

Quote Originally Posted by Astreocclu View Post
    Just wondeirng, why the poll anyway?
    Uhh... To find out who know that they are the same company?

Quote Originally Posted by Jilla82 View Post
    I thought Atlarge was just a sponsor...didnt know they were the same company.

It explains why other products are rarely discussed on here though.
    I disagree with this... I think other products are discussed on here quite often. Yes, sometimes if AtLarge offers a similar product the conversation is turned to that ALN's product... However, knowing how ALN operates and knowing the qualitty of their product I don't feel that it's because they don't want other products to be discussed... I think it's because they truly have the better product (where they offer the same product) and the general population of this board agrees!
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Quote Originally Posted by Jilla82 View Post
    I thought Atlarge was just a sponsor...didnt know they were the same company.

It explains why other products are rarely discussed on here though.
    Eh, if you look at the supplement section, there are quite a few posts about other non ALN products. But, in respects, if you go to any forum run by a supplement company, take Animal for instance, you usually discuss specific products. It's not like BB.com where it's a general bodybuilding/strength website and there are all sorts of product reviews.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Wannabebig Member fitgirltitone's Avatar
    Nope I didnt know...
    Ann Titone-IFBB Pro Figure
    "I can do all things through him who strengthens me"

Again, thanks to everyone for voting in the poll and posting in this thread, it has been very useful for us to know that most people are aware of it and also that people start to become aware of it after they have stuck around the site for a bit.

In regards to the balance of how AtLarge is promoted on WBB (what a lot of the discussion in this thread is about) we've always worked hard to balance the commercial needs of AtLarge and the values of WBB and to be fair I think we do a pretty good job. You can discuss whatever products you want on the site and you are also open to have your own opinions about AtLarge products. It just so happens that we have some very loyal and passionate customers aswell as some very good products, which is why AtLarge products are heavily discussed on here
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

yes, as I was an HCT - 12 beta tester...

I've always been aware that there's a connection between the two, but I didn't realise until a bit later that they were the same company. On the otherhand, it's not as "in your face" as on that other site...
    'Wir wollen frei sein, wie die Väter waren, eher den Tod, als in der Knechtschaft leben."
    "We shall be free, just as our fathers were, and rather die, than live in slavery."

Just found out

I wasn't aware that AtLarge and WBB were the same company until I made my first purchase from AtLarge. The shipping was super fast by the way. Thanks for that.
    - Ryan

WTF is wannabebig???
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

I did not know when I first started "lurking" around and reading, but put two and two together later when i was reading some of the supplement portion of the site. I did not even look at the supp section for a while after starting to post here and read?

Wannabebig New Member
    I didn't even know I had an account here until I got the email for the mass PM.

I've been here for a while but I'm pretty sure I knew from the beginning that WBB and ALN were the same.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

It's kind of odd that there's no 'true' mention of this on either website (aside from this topic confirming it). From what I gathered before my doubts were confirmed was that AtLarge become a 'sponsor' for this website and helped contribute funding for maintenance of WBB in exchange for advertising space. It seems like this is just is more of a 'sub' company to AL.

Does it make any real difference? No, but better clarification never hurts.

Wannabebig New Member Rat Rider's Avatar
    yep!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
    Wow! 69,208 members and only 300 or so voted. Wonder how many are still active.
    Just voted -- and I've known for several years.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Wannabebig Member Yesterdays Jam's Avatar
    I didn't know but it makes sense.

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    I've always known, but I feel the affiliation could be strengthened with better marketing on the respective sites. WBB does a great job with the misc banners for the ALN products. Is it important that we know that both are owned by the same person (Chris)?

From a business aspect, I feel that if you are going to fund a website(s) though a product or exterior income, I would take advantage of whatever marketing strategy to promote said product. Customer side: I'm pretty selective about what products I use, so seeing ALN only on WBB helps remind me that I need a new tub of Nitrean, Opticen, etc...

The ALN site shows no affiliation hints with WBB (or even a link?) I feel if you have the ALN product out there in magazines, competitions (or on a competitor's attire), or what have you, you should at least see how simply linking WBB on the ALN site will draw traffic here.

The way I see it, ALN is just a place where I would buy my product and leave. If I saw there were discussions boards from people who use said products, I may be more intrigued to check it out and join.

Just a quick thought.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive