The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Question about the actual rep motions

The article states this:

When lowering the weight, keep it under control. If you needed to stop and push the other way you could. Donít artificially extend the time youíre lowering it.
    For the concentric portion, taking the bench press as an example, when the bar is at your chest, imagine trying to push it forcefully, like shoving someone away. It wonít actually move like youíve pushed someone off you, but as long as the intent is there donít worry. This will feel quite different if you donít already lift this way.

I want delve into that subject just a bit more, to see if what I'm doing is relevant or not...
    I read somewhere on WBB a while back that there is a benefit to be realized by not pausing between repetitions. To simulate a pumping motion during the set. No rest at the top.

True? Or not something to worry about so much?
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

personally i wouldnt worry about it. i vary honestly, and not due to a concious preconcieved intent. My lighter warm ups i tend to flow right thru the reps. As I get heavier it slows down =].

There is a benefit but performing any exercise this way is going to necessitate a reduction in load or reps (with the same load) because of the increased fatigue.
    The aim in our program is to use loads that recruit all motor units from the first rep and fatigue the appropriate ones with the clusters. Reducing the load or reps would change the focus more towards fatigue as the stimulus for growth.
    Tension (higher the load higher the tension) is the primary stimulus for muscular growth with fatigue required but secondary which is what our program focuses on. That's not to say you couldn't adapt this program using those techiques, but it would shift the focus. If you decide to do that please keep me informed, I'd be interested to know how it performs.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Roberts View Post
    The aim in our program is to use loads that recruit all motor units from the first rep and fatigue the appropriate ones with the clusters. Reducing the load or reps would change the focus more towards fatigue as the stimulus for growth.

That's the piece of information I was looking for, thank you.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis