The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Contemplating switching to HTC-12 from 5/3/1...Advice wanted

I have been on the 5/3/1 for 7 months now. Here is my current log;
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...=1#post2332339

It is a 3 day a week workout, but all main lifts like Bench, Squat, Deadlift, Military Press are only once a week. That does not seem like enough for me ? By the time I am doing bench press again, it has been 7 days, is that too much rest for each body part, giving too much time off, and stumping growth ? For me it seems to be, if that makes sense.

Now after doing the 5/3/1 program for 7 months, for sure my lifts have gone up on my max. I am lifting much heavier weight for me, than before I started the 5/3/1. But when I look in the mirror now that Summer is coming, I honestly don't look like I should after putting in all this time. I am thicker for sure, but still skinny arms, and shoulders not rounded like a body builders should be. I am 5'11 190lbs. And have packed a slight little belly, been slacking on cardio, and taking 4 scoops of protein at least every day.

I got back into weight lifting like 2 -1/2 yrs ago, and the one program that really bulked me up and showed off good definition was a program called "The Omega Project" It was basically progressive sets of 1x20...1x12...1x10..1x7...then Dropped set to fail...Each set was heavier weight, and only 30sec rest between sets. And it was a 4 day per week workout.
    http://www.elitefitness.com/reports/omega/
    I stopped doing that one a good year and a half ago, they wanted to be paid to keep on it . I am happy buying products from At Large for this forum, but won't pay $400 every few months to stay in a program like Omega wants.
    Last edited by Zorachus; 05-22-2010 at 01:14 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

What I do like about this HTC-12 program, is the 4 day split. That would hit each body part twice a week, might be better for me ?

But I guess my main question or concern is the 6rep range. That sounds perfect for the final sets and heavy lifting, but for the other sets to start off, 6 seems rather low ? You don't recommend a much higher rep count on the first few sets ? Do all sets in the 6 rep range ? Does that get the blood flowing enough for hypertrophy ?

But who am I to ask that, I am no expert by any means, and for sure you guys know your stuff. I just thought, that high reps were recommended to start off with on each exercise, like 15 or so, then work your way down the rep range, but add weight to each set as well ?

And the last question, will the HTC-12 give me more of a body builder look than the 5/3/1 ?
    Last edited by Zorachus; 05-22-2010 at 01:28 PM.

Here is my first outline for Workouts A +B in the HTC-12;
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...=1#post2337752

How does this look to you ?

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    After reading the article I linked, did you figure out where your training may need to be changed to achieve the results that you want?

On your 5/3/1, did you do it the way Wendler intended it? Did your diet reflect your goals? Did you adjust your volume and intensity in order to reach your goals? These will all be important things for you to consider as you go forward in your training. Just taking a quick peek at your 5/3/1 journal, it looks like you were using a lot of volume, a lot of exercises, and still had a LOT of room to grow in getting stronger. These are the main areas [according to Daniel's article] that are important in looking like a "bodybuilder" and something you'll have to work on, whether it's 5/3/1 or HCT-12.
    Was I doing too much volume in my 5/3/1 ? Could that have slowed down progress ? But every month for 7 months I was always adding more weight to the bar on each main lift. 5lbs added every month to Bench and OH press, and 10lbs added every month to my Squat and Deadlift, and that was for 7 months. Plus every two months would up the weight on the Assistance exercises.

And after doing all that, and going up steady on all those lifts, my body just did not seem to show all that hard work. And I takes Supps from At Large; Results, Nitrean, and Opticen. Just not sure what I am doing wrong ? That is why I am willing to try something new after 7 months. Like i said before the one program that seem to pump me up, and get me bigger looking was the Omega Project, because it was ramping sets of progressively heavier weight set after set, to the final set of the heaviest. And the HTC-12 is sort of the same idea in a way, which I like. Where as the 5/3/1 just did that for the main lifts, and all Assistance were the same weight and same reps, and maybe for me that does not do much ?

Off Road where ya go ? You replied to this thread, but now it is gone ?

Just give HCT-12 a try, I'm sure you'll like it.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Just give HCT-12 a try, I'm sure you'll like it.
    What do you think of this setup ?
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...=1#post2337752

Will do the 4 day program of A-B-A-B

Do I have too much volume again, or that seem about right ? I just did the B workout for Legs/Biceps. Just finished half hour ago, it felt pretty easy, and not winded or breathing heavy after that first day. My 5/3/1 gets me breathing really heavy, and I feel really tired after wards, but not yet on the HTC-12. But tomorrows with the Bench and Military Press always gets me going.

It looks like you are applying the principles correctly. You might be just a tad light on volume but that really is dependant on how you feel. If you feel like you had more gas add more to the top end (max weight) or reduce the weight increase per step. Me personally, I dont generaly feel winded or breathe to heavy after lifting. I do however feel like ive spent every ounce of energy I had.

Keep up the good work and remember, it all adds up one plate at a time.
    Last edited by Titalis; 05-22-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Looks good.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!