Thread: just finished track, now I can lift more

Hybrid View

Wannabebig New Member

just finished track, now I can lift more

Hi Forum, I'm new here, so a bit about me. I just finished my last season of collegiate track and field, where I focused on the 400 and the 800 (I hit 53.9 and 2:03.6 in relays, so I wasn't amazing, but it was D III). This past year I started lifting more, and I both enjoyed it and suspect that it helped me make big improvements this year. However, I generally tried to keep the lifting a small part of my routine, because for track,each pound of muscle is another pound weighing you down in that crucial last quarter of the race when you can barely see and want to die.

But now I'm done, and I want to run less and lift more. I was formerly running 35-40 miles a week and lifting twice a week, now I'm probably going to run 20 and lift 3 times a week. I'm 5'8" and weigh 145 lbs; I've got a small frame. I did some single rep maxes last week and can bench 175 and squat 255. So now I'm going to start a 3 day routine and I wanted some feedback on it.

First, a bit about my goals. #1, I want to be healthy. for me this means keeping a balanced approach to exercise, getting stronger but keeping up my aerobic capacity, balance, flexibility, etc. #2, I'd like to be stronger, ideally someday squatting twice my body weight (i'm not that far) and doing a planche push up (I'm very far). #3, I'd like to be a bit more muscular, although ideally I'd gain no more than 5 lbs. Goals 2 and 3 are obviously intertwined.

So, here's my planned weekly schedule.

Sunday: 8-10 miles cross country running.

Monday: Day 1 Routine. Day 1. bench press, 12/10/8, 115, 130, 140, matched with dumbbell single leg deadlift, 3x5.each leg with 2 10 lb. dumbbells. Calf raises, around the world lunges, Bulgarian isometric split squat.
    Finish with 10-part medball routine, which is the following with a 4 kg. ball: 15x oblique twist, prone OHB (supermans with a medicine ball in my arms), allah arch, good mornings, arms abductors, legs abductors, torso twists, partner KOHB, partner hip switch, and V situps. Then a game of ultimate frisbee.

Tuesday: 2-3 miles warm up, 2-3 miles tempo (i.e. 6:10-6:20/mi. pace), 2-3 mile cooldown. 4 minute, 4 part plank rotation.

Wednesday: squat, 12/110/8, 185, 195, 205. matched with 3*5 dip with 25 lb. weight belt. 8 min. core routine, which is 30 secs of each of the following: push ups, crunches, straight leg lifts, bicycles, flutters, opp. knee elbow (left then right), crunches, leg lifts, bicycles, leg circles, side crunch (left then right), V situps, supermans, push ups. Then Frisbee.

Thursday: 2-3 miles warm up, mid distance workout, i.e. 10x400 @75/min rest, 8x300@50/2 min rest, 2 mi. cooldown. plank rotation.

Friday: Clean, 3x5 with 65 lbs, matched with 10 pullups, 10 45 lb. jerks, 10 45 lb. tricep curls. leg lift routine.

Saturday: game of soccer and planks.

A few notes on this: I know the weight of the cleans is pretty low, but I just recently learned that one so I want to keep the weight low while I master the form. This is also my summer plan, when I have a bunch of free time, and I might have to constrain it during the work year: TBD. I've also been thinking about deadlifts but I can't seem to fit them in on any day and I don't want to do them when I'm already beat.

What do you think? Is this a balanced plan that should increase overall strength? Any workouts you think are vital that I'm missing? Looking forward to hearing some feedback from people who know more than I do.
    Last edited by setgree; 05-17-2010 at 02:13 PM.

I hope you don't plan on sticking to those weights each time.

Wannabebig New Member
    I plan to increase it gradually but I have no specific amount by which I was planning to up it- I mostly go by feel. I find doing 12/10/8 squats at much higher than these weights pretty painful so I transition very gradually with squat. Any suggestions for increasing weight?

Wannabebig Member
    Guaranteed 100% that your dont follow this at all. You dont even break so how do you plan on even building muscle??? read the HTC forum up top and follow plan 1--- it fits what you want to do a lot better.

I can tell just by looking at the name of the program that HTC isn't ideal for a runner (Hypertrophy = emphasis on weight gain)

Try Starting Strength instead. That's more suited for someone who wants to get stronger without putting on (much) weight. I'm the exact same way
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Quote Originally Posted by Dgro View Post
    I can tell just by looking at the name of the program that HTC isn't ideal for a runner (Hypertrophy = emphasis on weight gain)

Try Starting Strength instead. That's more suited for someone who wants to get stronger without putting on (much) weight. I'm the exact same way
    Starting Strength requires you to gain weight if you want to get the most out of the linear gains. Actually, of the 2 programs, HTC would be more geared towards the OP's goal because of the whole "autoregulation" idea (listening to your body) as opposed to SS which has you increasing weights every single session regardless of if you think you're ready or not.

Any program can be used for anything though....basically lifting weights is helpful towards any fitness goal you have whether strength, endurance, weight loss, hypertrophy, etc....
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Wannabebig Member
    my thoughts exactly brihead301

Well, as a sprinter, I would never mess around with all that volume and the pause reps and all that. It doesn't make sense for what I'm trying to accomplish. And I've done great with the my tweaked SS program, without gaining hardly any weight.

HCT looks like fun though. Maybe after I "retire"
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird