The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

So what if you fail on your ramping sets?

I am still the phase of disciplining myself to not lift with my ego and lift focusing on form and listening to my body to understand how much I should increment, for this reason alot of time I will overestimate how much I exactly can do for 6RM especially in comparison to my last workout.

What if I overestimate a ramping set and fail on the fifth rep(not literally fail but realize that I can not get a sixth rep out).

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    i did this today on bench press...i knew after the 5th rep on shoulder press i couldnt get a 6th so i left it at 5.. and then continued my 2+2+2 which i just about managed to do due to the rest intervals

Wannabebig Member
    I wasnt sure if you were to continue with the 2+2+2 or step down in weight and do another 6 reps then the 2+2+2, or if you did the 2+2+2 with the previous full 6 rep ramp set.

I wouldn't over think it, just hit the 5 then the 2's. One rep is not going to hurt anything. Try for that weight next week.

It's up to you really and as you say, it will take a couple of weeks to gauge how to ramp up and at what weight feels right for the 6+2+2+2, particularly if you are used to lifting with your ego as you say

You have two choices. You can either stop it and reduce the weight and hit a proper 6+2+2+2 and just chalk it up to experience or you can just leave it there and go for it properly next week. I'd leave it to how you feel. If you feel strong and up for it, then reduce the weight and go for it. If you feel tired from failing, leave it and smash it next week - it just wasn;t your day THIS day.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Here is Daniel's answer from the FAQ:

Falling short of the 6 reps in your work set

Q. If during a set ramp-up you miss the six reps in your last work set, do you drop down to the previous work set and then begin the 6+2+2+2 scenario? For example, if I didn’t hit six reps in my last work set of 350 pounds, would I drop to say, 340 pounds and start 6+2+2+2?

A. That is absolutely correct, the idea is to complete all the reps as prescribed. Overestimating how heavy you can go will occasionally happen, don’t make it worse by grinding out the clusters. You will get the weight next time and you’ll also have the psychological edge of knowing you aced 340 pounds last time.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal