The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Rep ranges for calves.

I have always been under the impression that calves in particular require a higher rep range and higher frequency in order to elicit a growth response. I know the article addresses how reps for calves should be done, but it it makes no mention of rep ranges. I'm assuming the program intends for one to use the same rep scheme for all other muscle groups (6x2x2x2), but this kind of goes against what I've always been taught and what has always work for me in the past. (same for triceps and traps, but to a lesser degree).

Does anyone else feel this way? I apologize if this question has already been posted.
    Last edited by detroiter; 05-24-2010 at 09:52 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I wondered about this too, but having been training with the program for three solid months, my calves have grown noticeably in size and strength. Just make sure youre doing the reps as prescribed A slow negative (5-seconds minimum), a pause of a second or so at the bottom (in the stretch position) and a powerful concentric.

TB

Is this the same with abs too? I don't see how you can do barbell rollout for 6+2+2+2

I'm the same as you guys too, thinking that calves and abs need a more higher rep range than 6 reps, but I'm just following the program exactly what it tells me to do so I don't screw anything up.

Why should abs and calves be treated differently than the other muscle groups? Do they not respond to overload like everything else?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Why should abs and calves be treated differently than the other muscle groups? Do they not respond to overload like everything else?
    I read this somewhere else on these forums. You're right Off Road.

I figure they would respond, but aren't those muscles more for endurance than sudden strength? e.g. you walk all day with calves, or stabilize yourself for long periods of time with your abs. Whereas arms etc are more used for heavy lifting etc.

I think I'll do the 6+2+2+2 like the rest of you are doing. Even if nothing else I'll find how the results go, since I haven't had much results in a long time from higher reps

Wannabebig Member
    True, a muscle is a muscle is a muscle. However, Daniel Roberts stated in an earlier post:

Trial and error Bosch. Many theories about training calves, most revolve around the nature of the muscle itself and its ability to do very high reps with a very high load due to the demands placed on it every day through walking etc.
    Taking out the stretch reflex at the bottom of the movement both by slowing the negative down and pausing in the stretched position help transfer the stress to the muscle.
    I am currently clustering my calve exercises and only doing them in the 6 rep range for the sake of following the program, but I'm interested in hearing what the minds behind the program have to say about this.
    Last edited by detroiter; 05-25-2010 at 12:10 AM.

I have always been under the impression that calves in particular require a higher rep range and higher frequency in order to elicit a growth response. I know the article addresses how reps for calves should be done, but it it makes no mention of rep ranges. I'm assuming the program intends for one to use the same rep scheme for all other muscle groups (6x2x2x2), but this kind of goes against what I've always been taught and what has always work for me in the past. (same for triceps and traps, but to a lesser degree).
    Calves should be done the same in the same rep range. Not sure if there's anything more to add because you've already quoted a previous answer of mine. Perhaps to clarify when I say 'very high reps with a very high load' I'm talking walking/running with bodyweight not additional loading.
    Increase the load to bring the reps down and the muscle responds accordingly.
    Last edited by Daniel Roberts; 05-25-2010 at 04:00 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for clearing that up, Daniel.