The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Deadlift suit question

Ok, so heres my problem. I have tried prolly 10 different DL suits, and every one throws my form to crap. My hips don't drop low enough, I end up using all lower back, and even though I get a little pop off the floor, I'm so out of position once i reach my knees that the lift ends up stalling. Even straps down I can't get into the right position.

I finally bought a metal pro suit, I even went with a bigger size (54 suit, i've got 26 legs and ~44 hips). I added velcro straps to make it adjustable (thanks for that idea Rich), and I tried it out today with some reverse green band DL's. I put the bottoms on with a belt at 335, hit 425 and 515 and put the straps up at 565. Missed it above me knees. Took the straps off and ground out 565 with the bottoms on. Took the damn suit off and got 610 for a PR with a belt and gym shorts. My best pull is 610 raw at 198, and my best reverse green is always a little less than my meet pull.

So heres my question. For someone who sucks in a DL suit, how do you typically recommend getting the form straight? I've got a couple ideas- working down on the pins from pin 4 to the floor over a couple weeks, 5-6 speed pulls with straps up on dynamic days, doing rep sets with lighter weight....ect.. Being better raw is killing my inner gear whoreness, so hopefully someone out there can help me fix this!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I find the most important thing in a deadlift suit is that you really have to keep your chest up. Where are you missing the lift?
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

I had the same problem in tight suits, they always seemed to hurt me more than help. I switched back to an old Inzer hardcore that i've had for years (used to be Brent Mikesells) which is pretty loose but does just enough to give me a little extra pop off the floor.
    AtLargeNutrition - Support the company that supports WannaBeBig!

Follow me on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ajroberts

Wannabebig Member
    I miss at the top, usually a couple inches above my knees. I've seen some vids of you in the suit AJ when you were having problems, it looks like the same thing. Maybe we are cursed...

Are you throwing your hips forward as the bar passes your knees?
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

My DL suit (titan velocity) is not that tight and I get approx. 40lbs. out of it... Straps are only snug while standing up.

I feel if its as tight as a squat suit it throws my form off badly as you stated & I end up pulling more raw than suited.

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    sumo or conventional?

conventional I like my old 2-ply frantz poly suit with loose straps...... I've hit 605 raw and 625 in that suit

sumo I like briefs and a singlet. I use the same 3-ply overkill briefs that I squat in, I just hike them up a little further. I've hit 640 in the gym like that, but have only hit 606 in a meet like that

I'm thinking about getting a 2-ply poly suit to deadlift in without briefs just to try out for my sumo deadlift...... a lot depends on your build and how hard you can work your gear too, I've seen guys deadlift in briefs and a canvas suit but I can't get down with anything more than my briefs.......
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Wannabebig Member
    Can't tell whether you are sumo or conventional. But if you are gear whore like you say...I am guessing sumo.

If that is the case, what I use is the Metal King Sumo Pro suit.....this suit rocks! Everybody I've talked to who has tried it loved it and has hit PR's.

I went from a PR of 455 in a frantz double ply suit to a PR of 485 in the Metal King. This suit is super tight and stiff but thin material. It is unbelievability tight on the quads. So yes, it is very hard to sink the butt down. What I do is grab the bar with one hand and pull myself down with the other. Roll the bar in front of me a bit and when I'm ready....as I roll the bar towards me, I sink my hips as low as I can pull on the bar. This works great for me.

If you are conventional....lots of time Raw is just as good as a suit but someone on my team had good success in an Inzer hardcore suit.

Wannabebig Member
    I pull conventional. At this point I'm just a gear whore in training. My goal for this next meet is to be able to use a bench shirt that actually fits me tight, and to get some lbs out of my DL suit. After that, I might go crazy and start wearing knee wraps lol.

I've actually been having more success in the suit based on some of the responses i've read on here. I put in on for a pin 2 DL on monday with quaded monster minis. I worked up to a 20lb pr 425, and it didn't throw my form off. The big trick was getting it pulled up as far as possible on my legs, that thing has a tendency to lock down so i really had to pull on it to get it in place. I'm really hoping that will cary over to my full rage pull.

I really wouldnt use the suit for a pin pull vs bands. Do that stuff raw to get you stronger and throw the suit on for stuff off the ground to work on tech. If your weak at lockout the rack work is good. just do it raw. Once you get used to the suit you can almost just train raw all the time then throw the suit on at the meet. I only put my suit on once before my last meet. went to 585 after circa max squats. suit fit good and form felt good so I stopped. then pulled 800 at the meet

Wannabebig Member
    I like to grab the bar stiff legged with a round back just to get my hands on the bar. Once thats gripped i take a big breath and blow abs into my belt then dynamically force my hips forward (not down, forward) until my back is in an arched position ready to start the lift and then drive feet into the floor.

In a tight suit that last part has to be fast and forceful or you wont get into position but remember you dont necessarily need super low hips you just need them low enough so that your spine is in a neutral or slightly arched position.

Ben the way you just mentioned is how I used to do it. Its how most ppl do it. I didnt start geting anything out of my suit until I changed my aporach to something like Ano. Im not exactly like him but I try and mimic my aproach down to the bar like him. for some reason it makes the suit have more pop and the lockout easier. pretty much all the Finns have the same aproach and there pretty much all badA deadlifters

Yeah once i changed to Anos style of getting to the bar my pull shot up a good 15lbs. I still dont get a ton out of my suit but enough to make it worthwhile.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by douglasoh5 View Post
    Ben the way you just mentioned is how I used to do it. Its how most ppl do it. I didnt start geting anything out of my suit until I changed my aporach to something like Ano. Im not exactly like him but I try and mimic my aproach down to the bar like him. for some reason it makes the suit have more pop and the lockout easier. pretty much all the Finns have the same aproach and there pretty much all badA deadlifters
    Yeah i remember you saying on another thread, i have tried that way, just couldnt make it work for me personally. I can see how it'd make lockout easier cos you are already upright with your shoulders in line with your torso.

However, i have a short back and shortish arms and even if i try to get down to the bar like that i am pretty much already bent over double anyway. Deadlifting is more or less the national sport of Finland, i think it was Juko Ahola that said that!