Thread: Cutting 6-7 lbs

Cutting 6-7 lbs

Hello I know there's a lot of threads about cutting weight but I haven't found much info if you should just cut 6-7 lbs. I will compete next sunday and will weigh in 24 hours before.

What is the easiest and best way for such a small cut. This will be my first cut ever. I weigh around 282 in the morning and will(of course) be lifting at 275.

I would cut carbs this week and you should make it easy. Then just carb back up after weigh ins.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Should I water load etc?

Not for 6 lbs at 282 imo.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

I would simply lower carbs the day before weigh-in to bare minimum and keep protein/kcals high using shakes (little weight in intestines), then cut water out around 12-14hrs before weigh-in.

Just monitor your weight the night before and get up and check a couple hours before weigh in.
    Best lifts @ 226 lbs

Squat - 903
    Bench - 573 / 617 @ 246
    Dead - 727

Best Total - 2204 lbs @ 226 18/07/2010

I would do what martin said, but cut out carbs mid day on wednesday for a friday AM weigh in.

If you are over weight, either sit in a sauna for a few mins or submerge your body in the hottest water you can stand. 6-7lbs is not hard at all and i doubt you will have a problem.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    I would simply lower carbs the day before weigh-in to bare minimum and keep protein/kcals high using shakes (little weight in intestines), then cut water out around 12-14hrs before weigh-in.

Just monitor your weight the night before and get up and check a couple hours before weigh in.
    Should I keep sodium low also the day before weigh in? Should I eat whole food(protein/fat) or should I mostly stick with shakes? What would you consider to be a good weight to be before I go to bed the night before weigh in?

Thanks everyone for your advice.

You'll drop a few lbs from nerves alone this week. Cut your carbs back each day and monitor your weight on the scale daily. I'd be shocked if you had to do much of anything prior to weigh ins.

What day are you weighing in?

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    You'll drop a few lbs from nerves alone this week. Cut your carbs back each day and monitor your weight on the scale daily. I'd be shocked if you had to do much of anything prior to weigh ins.

What day are you weighing in?
    Well I haven't dropped any lbs before any other meet during the week but the flight and travel does take off around 2 lbs usually. I'm flying to Hungary(I'm from Sweden) this thursday night and I will weigh in on saturday morning and compete around 11-noon on sunday.

I have just gotten the impression that it's better to drop the weight close to weigh in and then gain it back as fast as possible. Why do you recommend to start the cut early in the week? Have you gotten better results this way?

Thank you for your help.

I would avoid sodium the day before weigh in (Friday) and my only food would be protein/MRP shakes that are pretty low carb.

Check weight Fri morning and if you have more than 5 lbs to lose I'd be tempted to stop drinking fluids other than what you need for shakes every three hours.

At around mid afternoon stop the shakes and have nothing else. Keep checking your weight - if you are 2-3lbs over before bed you will lose it in the night so don't worry.

You could also take vit c tabs (1-3g) to help on Fiday morning.

If you hit the weight you need to be early then just sip water to keep you going when you need it.

Oh, and just incase it isn't obvious to you - weight yourself naked I know that sounds simple but you'd be amazed...

But like Vincent said - at your weight it's not much at all to lose. You're BW may come down a bit this week with resting etc.
    Last edited by martin; 06-07-2010 at 02:24 AM.
    Best lifts @ 226 lbs

Squat - 903
    Bench - 573 / 617 @ 246
    Dead - 727

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    I would avoid sodium the day before weigh in (Friday) and my only food would be protein/MRP shakes that are pretty low carb.

Check weight Fri morning and if you have more than 5 lbs to lose I'd be tempted to stop drinking fluids other than what you need for shakes every three hours.

At around mid afternoon stop the shakes and have nothing else. Keep checking your weight - if you are 2-3lbs over before bed you will lose it in the night so don't worry.

You could also take vit c tabs (1-3g) to help on Fiday morning.

If you hit the weight you need to be early then just sip water to keep you going when you need it.

Oh, and just incase it isn't obvious to you - weight yourself naked I know that sounds simple but you'd be amazed...

But like Vincent said - at your weight it's not much at all to lose. You're BW may come down a bit this week with resting etc.
    Thank you for your advice. And of course I would weigh myself naked

Quote Originally Posted by rinse View Post
    Well I haven't dropped any lbs before any other meet during the week but the flight and travel does take off around 2 lbs usually. I'm flying to Hungary(I'm from Sweden) this thursday night and I will weigh in on saturday morning and compete around 11-noon on sunday.

I have just gotten the impression that it's better to drop the weight close to weigh in and then gain it back as fast as possible. Why do you recommend to start the cut early in the week? Have you gotten better results this way?

Thank you for your help.
    For that little amount of weight I'd rather drop it early if possible. That would put my mind at ease. When you back off carbs for a few days, your body will soak them right up after weigh ins. I mean, you are talking about 2% of your bodyweight. You could make a sauna in a bathroom with a hot shower if you needed to take the last few off.

Manipulating water is a science. If playing with that and sodium is not done correctly, it could actually backfire. Just my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    For that little amount of weight I'd rather drop it early if possible. That would put my mind at ease. When you back off carbs for a few days, your body will soak them right up after weigh ins. I mean, you are talking about 2% of your bodyweight. You could make a sauna in a bathroom with a hot shower if you needed to take the last few off.

Manipulating water is a science. If playing with that and sodium is not done correctly, it could actually backfire. Just my humble opinion.
    I'd listen to Vincent here He sure has alot of experience, far far more than I do. The things I suggested are just what I would do in your position having doen a few cuts myself over the last couple of years.

Good luck with the meet, and the weigh in.

Martin
    Best lifts @ 226 lbs

Squat - 903
    Bench - 573 / 617 @ 246
    Dead - 727