Thread: Squat and leg size question

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

Squat and leg size question

My sister has been doing squats with an SS-like rep scheme, increasing weights gradually. She asked me if her legs were going to get bigger (she doesn't want them to), and I would think that as long as her diet is at or below maintenance her legs will not actually increase in size, right? I mean I'm sure they'll be more muscular but she doesn't want to not be able to fit into her jeans.

Any input would be swell, thanks.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Tell her to relax, even if they get a bit bigger, guys like women with muscular, thick solid thighs. No worries.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    But it's not a question of who likes what, it's that she really doesn't want her legs bigger
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Lol no she doesn't need to worry about her legs getting big. Size is a function of diet. It's damn hard for females to pack on a lot of muscle. Most of my weight loss clients that want to to "tone" as they call it do squats.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

They won't.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Provided her diet is in check, she should be fine. It's also not like her legs are going to get so big overnight that it will surprise her. If her legs do start to get a little bigger at some point, it's pretty easy to scale back and just keep her on a maintenance program. My wife has been strength training for ~10 years now and she hasn't grown any huge outlandish bodyparts. She has just gotten leaner and more muscular, but her overall size really hasn't changed significantly.

If she isn't eating at a caloric surplus they won't get bigger. Even if they did it would be a gradually process. They won't get huge overnight.

Also I'm guessing what she wants to do ideal is "tone up" her legs. So really what she wants to do is add muscle (this will make her legs bigger) and cut fat (this will make her legs smaller). So things should even themselves out sizewize between adding muscle and cutting fat provided her diet is in check.
    Stefan
    Height: 6'4 - Weight: 235 lbs - Age: 31
    DL: 530 x 1
    Squat: 355 x 1
    Bench: 350 x 1

They might look bigger to her, but they won't be. As stated, if she doesn't eat to gain mass, she won't gain mass. The downside is some people equate definition to gaining muscle size.

If I was you, I'd be insulted. Aren't you trying to get bigger? Legs included? And doesn't she see how hard you work at it? So basically, she thinks that doing some squats are gonna make her turn into the hulk. Frustrating.